2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't think anyone would question those three are great together. The question is which is better for the team, to have a stacked 1st line but weakened middle 6 or a somewhat weaker top line but more balanced scoring throughout. If you put those three together then you're pretty much forced to run Schenn at 2c and then who exactly at 3c? Holloway? Texier if he can even play center effectively? Faksa has been solid but I don't think he's offensive enough to be 3c, and our 4th line has been a strength so far this year.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with re-uniting the big 3 periodically but not putting them together all game. If you want to add a middle six center, then it gets tough. A solid 2c would be great, but who's available that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? We could aim lower and get more of a 3c guy, which could create a 2a/2b situation with Schenn as the other center.

The way I see it, we're 4-2 doing what we've done so far so I don't see a huge rush to change it. Yes, they weren't all pretty wins but the team has looked fairly good overall and balanced scoring is more important to me than relying on that one line to score most of the goals.

Blueston told you the problem with seperating them. We are getting badly beaten when they are apart. We weaken the top line. Then Buch is an awful C so we don't have two decent lines, we have a weaker 1st line and a still crap 2nd line.

Better to load up in my opinion and have a great 1st line. But even if we want to split them, we need an actual C on the 2nd line.Because we are weakening the top line and not helping the 2nd

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Should resigned ROR when he went FA that summer before signing with the Preds.

I suspect that ROR preferred to be the 1C in Nashville instead of a veteran 2C with a less important role here. The writing was on the wall that this was becoming Thomas's team and ROR sticking around might have got in the way of that.

I would have loved to keep ROR, but if I had to guess why he signed in Nashville it's because they promised him the 1C role. And he's still good enough to be a 1C for now, I'd say.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I suspect that ROR preferred to be the 1C in Nashville instead of a veteran 2C with a less important role here. The writing was on the wall that this was becoming Thomas's team and ROR sticking around might have got in the way of that.

I would have loved to keep ROR, but if I had to guess why he signed in Nashville it's because they promised him the 1C role. And he's still good enough to be a 1C for now, I'd say.

I don’t think ROR looked very engaged when the team was losing when we traded him. He looked like he was checked out.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Blues need to get the damn power play going. Give Perunovich a shot. Kessel is putrid thus far anyways.

It has cost us atleast 2 points, likely 4.

ds774622

Jun 6, 2024
this-is-fine.png

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
6-weeks from today is 19 games. If he gets back in that time frame and is up to speed, we aren't totally sunk, just very likely. This is obviously a huge blow. We need to find a way to win a few of these games.

I'd say we need a minimum 40% point capture with Thomas out to have a shot. We have 8 points in 7 games, 19 games without him and 56 after that. If we hit 40%, that would put us at 23 points. With a 98 point playoff threshold (last year cut-off), we'd need to hit a 67% point capture to hit that. 67% is what 2nd in the conference had last year. So we'd have to play well above our projections to even make playoffs then.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokenFace

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This is an excellent opportunity for the org to recalibrate its expectations. They kind of think this is a sneaky good team. If they are right and most of us are wrong then the team will fade this injury and stay afloat, because they have enough talent to lose one pillar forward.

On the other hand if they are wrong and we are right and we sink accordingly, it won't be the worst thing for them to realize guys they hope are going to be the pillars can't bridge up, because then it informs their thinking

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I don't mind losing hockey as long as we get a great pick and player and it can lead to dumping deadweight salary in players like Kyrou and Schenn. Team needs to play the game the right way too.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Welp.

"Thomas missing significant time" was pretty much the worst case scenario for this season. He's the team's best player and we don't have an actual 2nd line center when he is healthy. Running Schenn and Buch down the middle on the top 2 lines is a major weakness.

It is going to be incredibly difficult to put points in the bank without him.

6-weeks from today is 19 games. If he gets back in that time frame and is up to speed, we aren't totally sunk, just very likely. This is obviously a huge blow. We need to find a way to win a few of these games.

I'd say we need a minimum 40% point capture with Thomas out to have a shot. We have 8 points in 7 games, 19 games without him and 56 after that. If we hit 40%, that would put us at 23 points. With a 98 point playoff threshold (last year cut-off), we'd need to hit a 67% point capture to hit that. 67% is what 2nd in the conference had last year. So we'd have to play well above our projections to even make playoffs then.

The only silver lining I see at first glance is that the schedule does us a few favors in the next 6 weeks.

15 of the 18 games we play through the end of November are against Eastern Conference teams. If we can manage to get a decent chunk of games to OT, we at least won't giving points to teams in our division/conference.

The strength of schedule in that stretch isn't too bad. We have 4 games against teams predicted to be bad who have gotten off to bad starts (Philly twice, San Jose, Montreal) and we avoid most of the teams with an elite center that should be able to feast against a Schenn/Buch top 6 center group. I'm not looking forward to playing Matthews and the Leafs (twice), Point/Kucherov, Zibby/Panarin, and Hughes/Hischier in this stretch. But at least we avoided McDrai, MacKinnon, Sid, Eichel, Petersson/Miller, and Barkov/Tkachuk. Ultimately, we play a lot of teams that have some holes/questions that are plausibly beatable. We also only have a single back-to-back, so we should at least be decently fresh almost every night.

But things get scary right at the 6 week mark (12/3 is 6 weeks from yesterday):

12/3: @ Winnipeg
12/5: @ Calgary
12:7: @ Edmonton
12/10: @ Vancouver
12/12: vs San Jose
12/14: @ Dallas
12/15: vs NYR
12/17: vs New Jersey
12/19: @ Tampa
12/20: @ Florida
12/23: @ Detroit

11 games in 3 weeks. 8 on the road with 2 sets of back to backs during a brutal 7 day stretch with 5 games. Lots of good teams in there too. Trying to dig out of a hole in December is going to be extremely tough.

The goalies need to be excellent and we need to find ways to get games to OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad