2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Well that's all right

Group E​

France 5, Slovenia 1
St. Louis Blues forward Alexandre Texier scored a hat trick as France (2-0-0) topped Slovenia (0-0-2).
Tim Bozon also notched two goals for France. Jan Urbas had the only goal for Slovenia.
Slovenian goaltender Matija Pintaric made 17 saves of the 22 shots he faced, while French goalie Quentin Papillon stopped 18 shots for the win.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Well that's all right

Group E​

France 5, Slovenia 1
St. Louis Blues forward Alexandre Texier scored a hat trick as France (2-0-0) topped Slovenia (0-0-2).
Tim Bozon also notched two goals for France. Jan Urbas had the only goal for Slovenia.
Slovenian goaltender Matija Pintaric made 17 saves of the 22 shots he faced, while French goalie Quentin Papillon stopped 18 shots for the win.
Isn't that 5 points in two games for Tex now?

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Well that's all right

Group E​

France 5, Slovenia 1
Tim Bozon is the son of former Blue Philippe Bozon.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Well that's all right

Group E​

France 5, Slovenia 1
Japan taking Denmark to OT is surprising to read.

• Wow
Reactions: The Electrician

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I'm excited about this pre-season. I think it's going to be fun mixing and matching line combos. I hope to see Holloway and Texier given fair opportunities to take the 2C and 3C positions, respectively. I believe DA has a clear vision about this team moving forward and has set the dominos to fall. I can see Lindstein playing 1 more year in Sweden and then playing in the AHL next season as Leddy's contract expires. I can see Stenberg playing 1 more year in Sweden and then playing in the AHL next season as Saad's contract expires. I can see Jiricek playing 2 seasons in the OHL and 1 season in the AHL as Faulk's contract expires. I can see Dean playing 1 more year in the AHL as Faksa's contract expires. I can see Bolduc playing 1 more year in the AHL as Kapanen's contract expires.

This team has lots of temporary placeholders, but they all serve a purpose to allow proper growth and development of the next wave. Hopefully DA will be able to jettison Krug next summer and maybe Schenn the year after. Then we're talking about a renewed rivalry with rebuilt Chicago and San Jose teams in the next 3-8 years.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'm excited about this pre-season. I think it's going to be fun mixing and matching line combos. I hope to see Holloway and Texier given fair opportunities to take the 2C and 3C positions, respectively. I believe DA has a clear vision about this team moving forward and has set the dominos to fall. I can see Lindstein playing 1 more year in Sweden and then playing in the AHL next season as Leddy's contract expires. I can see Stenberg playing 1 more year in Sweden and then playing in the AHL next season as Saad's contract expires. I can see Jiricek playing 2 seasons in the OHL and 1 season in the AHL as Faulk's contract expires. I can see Dean playing 1 more year in the AHL as Faksa's contract expires. I can see Bolduc playing 1 more year in the AHL as Kapanen's contract expires.

This team has lots of temporary placeholders, but they all serve a purpose to allow proper growth and development of the next wave. Hopefully DA will be able to jettison Krug next summer and maybe Schenn the year after. Then we're talking about a renewed rivalry with rebuilt Chicago and San Jose teams in the next 3-8 years.
Agree with the sentiment of this post. I like how we’re building for the future.

But people need to stop thinking of Texier as a center. I know he has the letter C next to his name on most websites but he hasn’t played center since the 2020-21 season. And he was 36% in the dot that season. He won all of 6 faceoffs last season. ie. he only took a faceoff here and there, likely when the actual center of his line got kicked out of the dot and he was the 2nd best option. I doubt very much the Blues see him as a center.

I do think Holloway’s future could be at C though. That’d be great if he can be a longterm middle-6 C for us. He played more wing than C last season but he was also still getting integrated into the league. He played C before the NHL and seems to be pretty defensively responsible and good at faceoffs.

And we really need him at C too as otherwise he’s a LW…and we have more than enough of those.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Agree with the sentiment of this post. I like how we’re building for the future.

But people need to stop thinking of Texier as a center. I know he has the letter C next to his name on most websites but he hasn’t played center since the 2020-21 season. And he was 36% in the dot that season. He won all of 6 faceoffs last season. ie. he only took a faceoff here and there, likely when the actual center of his line got kicked out of the dot and he was the 2nd best option. I doubt very much the Blues see him as a center.

I do think Holloway’s future could be at C though. That’d be great if he can be a longterm middle-6 C for us. He played more wing than C last season but he was also still getting integrated into the league. He played C before the NHL and seems to be pretty defensively responsible and good at faceoffs.

And we really need him at C too as otherwise he’s a LW…and we have more than enough of those.

I agree. Also on Holloway, he played with Drai a good bit, so he wasn't playing C on that line even if he was acclimated to the league. He has the faceoff skill and defensive IQ and playmaking to be a C.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

I don’t think we should force our prospects to be ready just because contracts are up. Let’s help them develop the best we can. If their timing happens to coincide with expiring contracts, then great

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I don’t think we should force our prospects to be ready just because contracts are up. Let’s help them develop the best we can. If their timing happens to coincide with expiring contracts, then great

No one is saying anything about forcing prospects to be ready. A GM's job is to replenish expiring contracts with younger players on entree level deals and that includes formulating a tentative and flexible plan moving into the future. Plus, when was the last time the Blues rushed a young player when he wasn't quite ready? If anything, I get the sense that this team tend to be more on the conservative side and develops players an extra year compared to most other organizations.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Half of those players IMO have nothing to do with each other. I can see Jiricek and Faulk, and Dean and Faksa, sure.

But Bolduc’s status shouldn’t have anything to do with Kapanen. If Bolduc is ready and can already give us more offense than Kapanen, which I think is quite possible, he should play. We can scratch Kappy or even waive him and not really lose anything there, he’s basically a spare forward on this team making minimal money now. His contract status is irrelevant.

And with Saad and Stenberg, I don’t see the connection. Saad is already going to get pushed out by guys already in NA like Snuggerud, Bolduc, Holloway, Texier, Dvorsky, Joseph, etc. I’ll be surprised if Saad finishes the last season on his contract here because there’s not going to be room for him in a year from now, and we could create more cap space by moving him at the deadline or next summer.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Half of those players IMO have nothing to do with each other. I can see Jiricek and Faulk, and Dean and Faksa, sure.

But Bolduc’s status shouldn’t have anything to do with Kapanen. If Bolduc is ready and can already give us more offense than Kapanen, which I think is quite possible, he should play. We can scratch Kappy or even waive him and not really lose anything there, he’s basically a spare forward on this team making minimal money now. His contract status is irrelevant.

And with Saad and Stenberg, I don’t see the connection. Saad is already going to get pushed out by guys already in NA like Snuggerud, Bolduc, Holloway, Texier, Dvorsky, Joseph, etc. I’ll be surprised if Saad finishes the last season on his contract here because there’s not going to be room for him in a year from now, and we could create more cap space by moving him at the deadline or next summer.
Those veterans listed above play the same positions as their younger counterparts. That was the point. Saad and Stenberg play the same position (natural LW) and the expiring contract align really well with Stenberg's development path. As far as the immediate future, Snuggerud is going back to college this season and doesn't even play LW. In theory, Dvorsky could play LW but is better groomed as a center at this point (even in the AHL). Let's not forget that Brandon Saad is a veteran and stanley cup champion who hasn't shown significant signs of decline yet. Guys like Texier and Joseph won't be pushing him out. The only way Saad is traded is if he blocks a younger prospect who projects to be part of the next core.

Reactions: STLegend

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Those veterans listed above play the same positions as their younger counterparts. That was the point. Saad and Stenberg play the same position (natural LW) and the expiring contract align really well with Stenberg's development path. As far as the immediate future, Snuggerud is going back to college this season and doesn't even play LW. In theory, Dvorsky could play LW but is better groomed as a center at this point (even in the AHL). Let's not forget that Brandon Saad is a veteran and stanley cup champion who hasn't shown significant signs of decline yet. Guys like Texier and Joseph won't be pushing him out. The only way Saad is traded is if he blocks a younger prospect who projects to be part of the next core.
Unless the guys we brought in really suck, then yes they will be pushing him out. Saad is about to be 32, he isn’t going to be prioritized over younger, cheaper players because he’s not going to be re-signed anyways by the time we’re competing for a Cup again. It doesn’t matter what positions Snuggy and Dvorsky play, the point is they’ll be in the lineup which will push other players to the left side. We’re not waiting for Stenberg, we have plenty of other guys that can play wing.

Ignore specific lines as this is just a way to list the players, but a year from now, we could see the following players all on the team:

Neighbours - Thomas - Snuggerud
Buchnevich - Dvorsky - Kyrou
Texier - Holloway - Bolduc
Schenn - Dean - Joseph
Toro/Sunny

Again, unless some guys flop hard, it’s tough to see where Saad would be slotting in. It’s likely he is traded within the next 10 months since we have several guys listed above that can be part of the next core. If we have to keep him around then fine but we should be rooting for the fact that he will be traded because that would be a good sign, since it would mean our young guys are showing they can replace him.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Interesting article with Buchy. Sheds great light on TDL and then the extension, among other topics. Love me some Buchy: Pavel Buchnevich Reveals His Contract Negotiations and Blues Rebuild Strategy

This is why I didn't want to trade him provided he likes it here and wanted to stay. There are 31 other options for these guys so when you have a good player who fits as well as Buch, then you wanna hold on to that guy. Who knows when we'd find someone just as good and at what cost? Army has made some good trades but getting Buchy at that cost is probably his best one. Absolute fleecing.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Krug to undergo ankle surgery. Will miss the entire season.
Krug to undergo season-ending ankle surgery | St. Louis Blues

This must be one heck of an ankle surgery…

My wife is having surgery on her ankle, plantar fascia and a tendon in her foot in a couple weeks and her recovery is 2 months.
Presumably you aren’t looking to shove her aside so you can find a younger, bigger, more agile replacement from Edmonton? That may affect her recovery timeline.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I find it interesting that it is pre-arthritic, not arthritic.
whatever they call it, you could tell last year something was definitely wrong, we was never straight line fast but he became Adam Creighton level slow and his quickness simply vanished, he was really good at changing directions and that all just went away, it was very noticeable when he was trying to defend a player that changed directions or when he was moving around the point on the PP

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I've not seen it mentioned anywhere, but if Krug's surgery is significant enough to end his season, it is possible that it could end his career. He will be 34 when training camp rolls around in 2025 and he'll only have two years left on his deal. He will have made enough money by that time that his kids and his grandkids will be set for life, so it may not be wise for him to risk trying to come back at that point if there is a risk that further skating (at an NHL level) causes a relapse that could affect his ability to walk later in life. If the team is OK with essentially putting him on LTIRetired, we could have seen the last of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad