2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We're obviously not going to get the full medical details, but my uneducated googling suggests that he is likely getting a replacement or a fusion of some kind. From the provided timeline, it sounds like the issue/procedure is related to restructuring the bone and not an issue with a tendon. I found a few clinics talking about a recovery timeline where 'you might be able to walk without crutches or a walking boot at the 6 month mark' following an ankle surgery.

I think we all knew this was coming for the last few weeks and I think we can all agree that he wouldn't be getting this procedure if he had a top 4 job on a contender for the upcoming season. I very much doubt he'd be getting this procedure mid-career if he believed that he would be on the Blues opening night roster (or on the NHL roster of a select few destinations).

I'd bet good money that his decision to get this procedure was a response to being told that he wasn't going to be in the Blues opening night roster one way or another. He probably could have put it off until after his playing career, but the reality is that the remaining playing career was probably going to be far less appealing than the last couple years.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Just for shitz, anybody want to compare the cup winning forwards to this current group?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
We're obviously not going to get the full medical details, but my uneducated googling suggests that he is likely getting a replacement or a fusion of some kind. From the provided timeline, it sounds like the issue/procedure is related to restructuring the bone and not an issue with a tendon. I found a few clinics talking about a recovery timeline where 'you might be able to walk without crutches or a walking boot at the 6 month mark' following an ankle surgery.

I think we all knew this was coming for the last few weeks and I think we can all agree that he wouldn't be getting this procedure if he had a top 4 job on a contender for the upcoming season. I very much doubt he'd be getting this procedure mid-career if he believed that he would be on the Blues opening night roster (or on the NHL roster of a select few destinations).

I'd bet good money that his decision to get this procedure was a response to being told that he wasn't going to be in the Blues opening night roster one way or another. He probably could have put it off until after his playing career, but the reality is that the remaining playing career was probably going to be far less appealing than the last couple years.

I dunno, I seriously doubt they told Krug weeks ago that he wouldn't be in the opening night roster. I think it's much more likely that Doug made roster moves knowing there was a high likelihood that Krug's injury was quite serious. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the main reason for his below average play last year as well. But even last year's Krug was better than Perunovich and Suter. I wonder if we make the Broberg offer sheet with a healthy Krug as well.

Either way it worked out and the anti Krug brigade can celebrate.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I dunno, I seriously doubt they told Krug weeks ago that he wouldn't be in the opening night roster. I think it's much more likely that Doug made roster moves knowing there was a high likelihood that Krug's injury was quite serious. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the main reason for his below average play last year as well. But even last year's Krug was better than Perunovich and Suter. I wonder if we make the Broberg offer sheet with a healthy Krug as well.

Either way it worked out and the anti Krug brigade can celebrate.
Was rumored that we had deal in place to send him to Anaheim and he told club that he didn't think he could pass physical and that led us here. Not sure if that is true, but that was the chatter.

Reactions: Reality Czech

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Doug Armstrong was just on the Cam and Strick podcast and it was a good interview, definitely worth a listen.

He was asked about his regrets over the years and he flat out said not figuring out the Petro situation. He said every day when he drives past the statues in front of the arena, he knows that Pietrangelo should still be here and that he should have had one. You could really hear the disappointment in his voice that he knows he made a mistake and I really respect him for that because it was sobering to listen to that he didn’t try to avoid it or make excuses or point fingers at anyone else. Earlier in the interview he did go over his stance on NMCs, but when this topic came up he made it pretty clear that for some players, you need to do what you need to do to keep them around.

Another thing that stuck out to me is he was talking about not rushing players, and how it’s not possible to keep someone in the minors for too long, but it is very possible to not have them in the minors long enough. He specifically name-dropped Jake Neighbours as a guy that he regrets starting him off in the NHL and then shuttling him back and forth between here and the AHL. He says he wishes he would have just started him in Springfield, and learned his lesson with that. Obviously it looks to have worked out okay for Neighbours and Armstrong also went on to say he is a massive fan of his, he absolutely raved about him a lot. Compared him to Morrow, Drake and Jackman in terms of the way he plays the game and leadership/character abilities.

That was a cool tidbit because it tells me Dvorsky and Dean are going to start in Springfield, as they should. However, he did specifically say he is excited about Bolduc and mentioned that he’s already been in the minors so that previous statement may not apply to him, so I expect him to make the team out of camp if he puts forth a strong showing. And Armstrong hinted it’s probably in a top 6 role.

A couple other topics of note:

- he was asked if he tries to model his team after the recent Cup winner since the NHL can be a copy cat league and he says he looks more at the final group of 8, not the Cup winner. He says he looks at the teams who at least made it to the 2nd round and determines what similarities they have.

- had a lot of praise for Binnington and Hofer, seemed pumped about them as our tandem, as we all should be.

- he said he reads all of the chat boards online, so I am pretty positive he does read our posts here. Hi Doug! I do wonder who his favorite poster is. I’m going to go ahead and eliminate BlueKnight or Ted Hoffman as his favorite, but everyone else may still be in the running. ;)

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Doug Armstrong was just on the Cam and Strick podcast and it was a good interview, definitely worth a listen.

He was asked about his regrets over the years and he flat out said not figuring out the Petro situation. He said every day when he drives past the statues in front of the arena, he knows that Pietrangelo should still be here and that he should have had one. You could really hear the disappointment in his voice that he knows he made a mistake and I really respect him for that because it was sobering to listen to that he didn’t try to avoid it or make excuses or point fingers at anyone else. Earlier in the interview he did go over his stance on NMCs, but when this topic came up he made it pretty clear that for some players, you need to do what you need to do to keep them around.

Another thing that stuck out to me is he was talking about not rushing players, and how it’s not possible to keep someone in the minors for too long, but it is very possible to not have them in the minors long enough. He specifically name-dropped Jake Neighbours as a guy that he regrets starting him off in the NHL and then shuttling him back and forth between here and the AHL. He says he wishes he would have just started him in Springfield, and learned his lesson with that. Obviously it looks to have worked out okay for Neighbours and Armstrong also went on to say he is a massive fan of his, he absolutely raved about him a lot. Compared him to Morrow, Drake and Jackman in terms of the way he plays the game and leadership/character abilities.

That was a cool tidbit because it tells me Dvorsky and Dean are going to start in Springfield, as they should. However, he did specifically say he is excited about Bolduc and mentioned that he’s already been in the minors so that previous statement may not apply to him, so I expect him to make the team out of camp if he puts forth a strong showing. And Armstrong hinted it’s probably in a top 6 role.

A couple other topics of note:

- he was asked if he tries to model his team after the recent Cup winner since the NHL can be a copy cat league and he says he looks more at the final group of 8, not the Cup winner. He says he looks at the teams who at least made it to the 2nd round and determines what similarities they have.

- had a lot of praise for Binnington and Hofer, seemed pumped about them as our tandem, as we all should be.

- he said he reads all of the chat boards online, so I am pretty positive he does read our posts here. Hi Doug! I do wonder who his favorite poster is. I’m going to go ahead and eliminate BlueKnight or Ted Hoffman as his favorite, but everyone else may still be in the running. ;)

I'd venture to guess Dizee isn't high on his list either :laugh:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

This tells me that the impass was not about a NMC but something else.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This tells me that the impass was not about a NMC but something else.
He said a NMC was offered at the very end, so I’m guessing at that point it was probably too late and Petro was already finalizing a deal with Vegas.

So it was definitely still a factor but my gut feeling is that things just got a little personal and egos were involved from both sides, and they just couldn’t move past it. I mean he said he still respects Petro a lot and I’m sure they can get along just fine, but that’s my feel on it.

He sounded legitimately disappointed and even sad. And I for one am done discussing that whole situation anymore because I respect that from him.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
A major pro sports franchise GM's online forum alias leaking and their post history going public is the new age scandal we truly need.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sticking with Ranksu. It conjures an image of Army calling Lehtera into his office. Jori is nervous thinking he's about to be traded. Army looks at him and says "Teach me to be Finnish".

Last edited:
Reactions: SirPaste

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If I was DA I would have traded Kyrou 2 years ago, before he signed that awful contract and got Berube fired.

I am glad he reads my posts though, hopefully he learned a thing or two.
"Kyrou got Berube fired, and only Kyrou" is still the most mind numbing bullshit. The team got him fired, the entire f***ing team. Not one f***ing player solely got Berube fired. It was a collective of the entire team being f***ing shit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
"Kyrou got Berube fired, and only Kyrou" is still the most mind numbing bullshit. The team got him fired, the entire f***ing team. Not one f***ing player solely got Berube fired. It was a collective of the entire team being f***ing shit.
You’re wrong. I forgot to mention this part of the interview but Armstrong confirmed that Kyrou walked into Doug’s office one day and asked him to leave for a few mins. Army obliged and went to the bathroom and that’s when Kyrou called Berube into the office and fired him. When Doug got back, Stillman had already signed off on it because Kyrou sent an email to Stillman under Doug’s email address.

It’s crazy but that’s what happened. Kyrou took matters into his own hands.

Ranksu = Doug Armstrong
There are not many things in the world I wish to be more true than this.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
And too a degree Army got him fired, too. When you have a coach with a particular style of play and philosophy he emphasizes and you hand him a roster than doesn't align with that, something has to give.

It was a collective effort, or lack thereof.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
He said a NMC was offered at the very end, so I’m guessing at that point it was probably too late and Petro was already finalizing a deal with Vegas.

So it was definitely still a factor but my gut feeling is that things just got a little personal and egos were involved from both sides, and they just couldn’t move past it. I mean he said he still respects Petro a lot and I’m sure they can get along just fine, but that’s my feel on it.

He sounded legitimately disappointed and even sad.
I haven't watched the video yet but it sounds like this is the first time he's talked as openly as he can about the situation while they are both still active in the league...disappointed and sad implies that he has regret...if you listen to the fans on this board who are adamant that Petro didn't want to be here then this description runs contrary to that opinion...I think Armstrong got in a dick swinging contest w/ Petro and his agent at the beginning of negotiations and the whole thing eventually unraveled over time. That's a logical takeaway. I would have regret too.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah camp starts in 2 weeks and it’s not like he deserves anything over 800K so I have to imagine he’s looking at other options. Otherwise it makes no sense why he’d still be unsigned.

Which is whatever, he’s not going to make the opening night roster anyways if we don’t have any more injuries.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Weren't there talks last year of the team not being thrilled with his offseason workout routine, or the shape he came into camp in with Alexandrov?

Purely speculation, but I wonder if they're monitoring benchmarks for him to hit before making a committment to another season.

Either that or it's entirely possible that they aren't thrilled with it again and aren't really all too interested in signing another contract with him.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Weren't there talks last year of the team not being thrilled with his offseason workout routine, or the shape he came into camp in with Alexandrov?

Purely speculation, but I wonder if they're monitoring benchmarks for him to hit before making a committment to another season.

Either that or it's entirely possible that they aren't thrilled with it again and aren't really all too interested in signing another contract with him.
Could be wrong but I don't remember that. I thought it was the opposite and he really impressed and made the roster out of camp but then just never did anything at all during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad