2024/2025 Around the League

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The NHL team? I don't know, but Mikko Rantanen had his ELC slide down because he played his first year with San Antonio remember?
Oh, I just looked it up. Interesting, I do not remember that but apparently that's the rule (so long as they're 18 or 19 of course). I still don't think it'll lead to a rash of NHL teams keeping junior players they shouldn't keep though.

Far as I've been told, Ritchie doesn't really have a lot, if anything, to learn at the junior level. AHL could do him some good, but whatever, he at the very least can get some confidence back and maybe earn some honors like a WJC medal and/or a Memorial Cup.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Oh, I just looked it up. Interesting, I do not remember that but apparently that's the rule (so long as they're 18 or 19 of course). I still don't think it'll lead to a rash of NHL teams keeping junior players they shouldn't keep though.

Far as I've been told, Ritchie doesn't really have a lot, if anything, to learn at the junior level. AHL could do him some good, but whatever, he at the very least can get some confidence back and maybe earn some honors like a WJC medal and/or a Memorial Cup.
It is a huge conundrum, and I suspect also a reason a lot of kids choosing American programs over CHL because you can be sent down to the AHL if you are not from the CHL. Stepping into AHL is still a step into professional hockey, if you have dominated the CHL.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I always assumed the CBA was between the NHL and the players. But not being allowed into the AHL was a CHL/AHL rule.
It is tied to the NHL/CHL transfer agreement. That was semi recently extended to 2029, but the parties could negotiate it earlier. Not sure why the CHL would given it would hurt their relative strength when that'll already be tested with the NCAA soon. Though IMO they need to reorganized the league to a 15-18 year old league (with 19 year old overagers) rather than a 16-19 year old league. It'll improve their competitiveness with the USHL and line them up better for transfers to the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad