2024/2025 Around the League

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
The Season has started! Probably still not gonna watch non-Avs games.
Edit: wtf its only the global games, that sucks

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So this is the year where Sabres are gonna be good and finally make the playoffs right?

:sarcasm:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think Lehner's situation compares to Nuke's very much. This happened because Lehner only has one year left on his deal. The length of Nuke's remaining contract is the real issue. It's one thing to make the last year of a deal disappear, it's another thing to void a contract that lasts until 2030.

4.5m isn't really a ton of money to most team owners. Nuke is owed a LOT more than that, enough to make even Kroenke notice. There's no way he's going to pay Nuke 36m cash just to get some cap relief.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So this is the year where Sabres are gonna be good and finally make the playoffs right?

:sarcasm:
In all seriousness, I feel like they'll have the defense, they'll probably have at least decent goaltending if they stay healthy, but the scoring won't be there. I look at their projected lineup and I don't really see one true sniper or pure goal scorer in the mix. There are some really good two-way guys, and to be sure their centers and a couple defensemen can put it in the net, but I've noticed in a couple of their preseason games that they're deluging the opposition with shots, and barely anything is going in. Maybe it's just a preseason thing but that's a concern for me if I'm a Swords fan.

Part of the downside of losing both Skinner and Olofsson in the same offseason is that they haven't necessarily replaced the scoring from those two, unless Peterka and Quinn are set for breakout seasons.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I drafted my fantasy team last night. No plan, as always. Just seat of my pants. A full 1/3 of my team is Ottawa/NJ/Buffalo. 3 teams I wish to have success this season. Doubly so now. Or at least spam points.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Byram played 24:52 minutes, that's 2 min more than Dahlin, 1:30 more than Powers and significantly more than any other player on both teams.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I haven't followed the Red Wings preseason in any way (because why the f*** would I lol), has he been bad still and this is the result? I guess I should not speculate on such matters...

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
I miss when stadiums had cool names, or were named after important people, instead of corporate sponsors.
Vidéotron is a Canadian integrated telecommunications company active in cable television, interactive multimedia development, video on demand, cable telephony, wireless communication and Internet access services.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Vidéotron is a Canadian integrated telecommunications company active in cable television, interactive multimedia development, video on demand, cable telephony, wireless communication and Internet access services.

Yeah, that's kinda my point. It was better when it was called the Colisée de Québec.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I miss when stadiums had cool names, or were named after important people, instead of corporate sponsors.
The fact that Quebec City has even THAT much corporate presence is surprising to this outsider.

Yeah, that's kinda my point. It was better when it was called the Colisée de Québec.
That's not Le Colisée, according to Wikipedia it was set to be demolished, like, three years ago but is still standing. Videotron is the replacement building.

BTW, that particular venue was called Colisée Pepsi before it was finally shut down.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's not Le Colisée, according to Wikipedia it was set to be demolished, like, three years ago but is still standing. Videotron is the replacement building.

That's what I get for skimming their wiki page for "Videotron", instead of actually reading it. :laugh:

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
Oh, whoops. You're right obviously but there are quite a few NHL arenas whose names are lost on me as a non-North American. Bell Centre, Amalie Arena, United Center and Ball Arena are all pretty meaningless to me. Gila River Arena was another. Obviously MSG. Even more recognisable but still generic sounding sponsors like Enterprise or Delta or Rogers sound vaguely passable. f*** playing at "crypto.com arena" or something though, you'd die of shame.

In an ideal world when Enos builds his metropolis in downtown Denver the 40k capacity Nathan MacKinnon Memorial Thunderdome takes pride of place in the middle of it.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They are next to each other

GU78NIM.jpeg

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno, I think we're just done with regular, more historical/sentimental names on facilities. They're just too expensive now and the money you get from corporate sponsorship is just too easy to pass up. The last big one I can remember was Jack Kent Cooke Stadium in Washington, Dan Snyder bought the Redskins and didn't hesitate selling off the name and changing it to FedEx Field (I heard he also let the structure grow dilapidated in an attempt to get a new one built). Unless it's something iconic like Fenway, Yankee, or Wrigley, I don't see it getting anything more than a silly company name.

Besides, this whole "...@ Mile High" bullshit is just lame. Just call it whatever and move on.

On a side note, can't wait for the massive crypto collapse that forces the Lakers and Kings to scramble and find a new sponsor.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I don't think Lehner's situation compares to Nuke's very much. This happened because Lehner only has one year left on his deal. The length of Nuke's remaining contract is the real issue. It's one thing to make the last year of a deal disappear, it's another thing to void a contract that lasts until 2030.

4.5m isn't really a ton of money to most team owners. Nuke is owed a LOT more than that, enough to make even Kroenke notice. There's no way he's going to pay Nuke 36m cash just to get some cap relief.
Didn't Ilya Kovalchuk broke his contract by just getting on the plane and going back to Russia after only playing for like three or four seasons with Devils. MacK will probably welcome Nukie back with open arms, give him a hug and whisper in his ear that "everything will be just fine and you don't even have to say anything to anyone here in our locker room".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad