WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Let's not get crazy here.lol

ONLY reason the standings look like they do today is becasue Czechs and Swedes have played 2 games and one of them against Austria (no offence to our beautiful neighbors). Canada finishing 3rd in a pool?lol

Same reason I don't type jokes like 'our goalie has more points than Bedard'.lol Czechs play Swedes tomorrow so one of them is losing while Canada has Germany and Austria next. It's going to be a good finish on New Years Eve and no ONE in Pool B wants to play Canada in a Quarter. It's my fav part of the pools... we don't have to play Canada in the quarters.lol
Canada doesn't beat Sweden on New Years and 3rd becomes very very likely. Losing to you guys opened the pool up to a whole bunch of scenarios that likely don't get determined until NYE like you said.....small part of me is hoping it plays out for a Canada Czech rematch in the semis!

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada doesn't beat Sweden on New Years and 3rd becomes very very likely. Losing to you guys opened the pool up to a whole bunch of scenarios that likely don't get determined until NYE like you said.....small part of me is hoping it plays out for a Canada Czech rematch in the semis!
That rematch would be a slaughter.lol However, it means we won our quarter and that's all we care about. No Czech is talking Gold here.

I say Canada runs the table here. We will see. I wouldn't want to be Austria or Germany right now. Swedes are down 3 very good D.

It was literally a once in 30 year upset. I liked the analogy of Saudi Arabia beating Argentina at the last World Cup. Same thing. It happents. Good luck against Germany tonight!

Reactions: bert

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
A Finland coach has been fired mid tournament and replaced by a TV analyst, 2017 if I recall.
It wasn't just a "tv analyst", Jussi Ahokas was already hired to take over the job after the 2017 tournament. And he just happened to be there at time, so he started his job earlier than it was expected. But the Finnish ice hockey association faced lot of backlash from several coaches including Ahokas, when Rautakorpi got fired in the middle of the tournament. I would say it's unlikely to happen again, in Finland at least.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
These boomers that are arguing with you are absolutely lost. Both of the attempts were done in stride with no clear better option available. Bedard’s in particular was executed to perfection, other than the goalie defended it really well. If you can create a good scoring chance out of nothing from behind the net why not try it. It has nothing to do with showboating and everything to do with the fact that they both had good setups to try it to score.
What a ridiculous prejudiced statement. I'm a boomer and I don't mind it. I'm positive there many other boomers that don't mind it.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Under 30 team Canada Michigan lacrosse move fuel edition

Jaxxyn-Baedan-Pierrick
Gunnar-Rebel-Jaxton
Ocean-Mavrick-Jaxx
Jaydon-Haydon-Braydon

Baylyn-Nathanuël
Xander-Layden
Laylen-Haylen

Dannick
Jeannick
Raxxyn

Is that any better than some of the 1920s names?

Aurele, King, Punch, Cy. Babe, Hooley, Hec, Irvine, Sprague, Cooney, Red, Dit, Pit, Corbett, Melville, Merlyn, Shorty, Newsy, Duke, Amos, Tex, Wildor, Ebby, Didier, Busher, Gizzy.

Surprised it took this long for people to start naming their kids weird names again. I suppose we could all be John, Joe and Jack.

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
Lines as per Bob Mackenzie:

Othmann - Wright - Guenther
Roy - Stankoven - Bedard
Dean - Gaucher - Fantilli
Dach - Bankier - Ostapchuk
Schaefer

Thoughts? I generally like it, but not sure how crazy I am about that effective 3rd line getting broken up.

Reactions: Dominance

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Roy - Stankoven - Bedard
Schaefer

Thoughts? I generally like it, but not sure how crazy I am about that effective 3rd line getting broken up.
Matier has been moved to seventh defenceman as well.

I'm ok with the new lines. They need to change things up and that's a decent start.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Roy - Stankoven - Bedard
Schaefer

I love that 2nd line. I think that line has potential to dominate. Also think Fantilli moving down might free him up put a bit less pressure on him.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The line changes were necessary and are generally positive, but I also would have kept the third line together and given Stankard some more size on the other wing.

Othmann-Wright-Guenther
Schaefer-Stankoven-Bedard
Dean-Gaucher-Roy
Dach-Fantilli-Ostapchuk

Reactions: Mr Buckles

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Much, much better performance.

They were fast and heavy on the forecheck right from the get go.

Came out pissed off and flying, they need to play with that intensity the rest of the way through. An angry and assertive Canadian team is exactly what was needed.

Bedard was just dazzling, he is the best underager I’ve ever seen at this tournament. I don‘t recall Crosby and McDavid being anywhere near as dominant as this. I’ve never seen a junior aged player shoot the puck like Bedard and his playmaking is tremendous as well.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Power play looks tremendous. Didn't love what Canada did outside of that, still fairly sloppy at even strength and Milic could have been better. I'm attending the game tomorrow but I'm looking forward to December 31 to see where the team is at.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
That Roy-Stankoven-Bedard was dominant from the start. The first line was fine but honestly I don't see it with Othmann, I have no ideas why he's getting that much ice time( 1st PP/ 1st line).

Gaucher was very good as well today at both end of the ice.

Outside of Bedard, I believe the best forward on this team is either Roy or Stankoven.

Not impress by Othman and Wright at all.

Guenther is money on the pp through.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The more I'm looking at this team and the more I think whoever selected the team was drunk for not inviting Savoie, at least as a 13th forward. When Bedard isn't on the ice we really don't have much more a threat out there, Savoie would have provided that in spades.

Reactions: Fenris and Mooche

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
That Roy-Stankoven-Bedard was dominant from the start. The first line was fine but honestly I don't see it with Othmann, I have no ideas why he's getting that much ice time( 1st PP/ 1st line).

Gaucher was very good as well today at both end of the ice.

Outside of Bedard, I believe the best forward on this team is either Roy or Stankoven.

Not impress by Othman and Wright at all.

Guenther is money on the pp through.

I was screaming at the camera against Czechia, for those exact lines. But, we have only 1 line still. We need to shuffle the lines some more to find a replacement for Othmann. Hell bring one of the big guys up to create some space for Wright and Guenther, Othmann is useless.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
ANYONE, with link for the TC vs Germany game. There is no saved game for Game on Demand on TSN anymore.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Scores stay as they are right now in this Sweden-Czech game 3rd in the group looks most likely regardless of how we do against Sweden. Czechs currently at +2 Sweden +1 and Canada -3. We would have to absolutely destroy Sweden which doesn't seem highly likely.

Reactions: Patman123and4

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Sweden - Czechs going to overtime helped Canada in the group standings, should the team beat Sweden. You still have to beat whoever you face in the last three games though, and no team in the tournaments looks like a world beater.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sweden - Czechs going to overtime helped Canada in the group standings, should the team beat Sweden. You still have to beat whoever you face in the last three games though, and no team in the tournaments looks like a world beater.
It makes winning the group incredibly unlikely though. Germany has to beat the Czechs or it is 2nd or 3rd for us. We also have to beat Sweden in regulation.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It makes winning the group incredibly unlikely though. Germany has to beat the Czechs or it is 2nd or 3rd for us. We also have to beat Sweden in regulation.
Finishing second rather than third is the relevant thing from that game. Canada has a clear path to second and presumably an easier quarterfinal opponent. There may not be a huge separation between any of Finland/Slovakia/USA in the other group though honestly.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Much, much better performance.

They were fast and heavy on the forecheck right from the get go.

Came out pissed off and flying, they need to play with that intensity the rest of the way through. An angry and assertive Canadian team is exactly what was needed.

Bedard was just dazzling, he is the best underager I’ve ever seen at this tournament. I don‘t recall Crosby and McDavid being anywhere near as dominant as this. I’ve never seen a junior aged player shoot the puck like Bedard and his playmaking is tremendous as well.

his shot is insane he might roll into the league and score 50

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad