2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think the last four teams are cruising to the end of the season. I don't foresee any changes in the standings even though they should be possible. So fourth it is going into the lottery. The Ducks have historically dropped one spot in the lottery, but maybe this year they will have better luck.

Ducks dropping down a spot in recent lottery is very odd.

• 2019: Finished 8th; dropped to 9th after lottery.

• 2020: Finished 5th; dropped to 6th after lottery.
    • NYR leapfrogged from 16 to 1.
    • Kings went from 4 to 2.
    • Ottawa went from 2 to 3 and Detroit dropped from 1 to 4.

• 2021: Finished 2nd; dropped to 3rd after lottery.
    • Unlike previous years, only the top two picks were determined by the lottery, and teams were limited in how far they could rise or fall, based on their regular-season standing. This is the third time in the past 11 draft lotteries that the team with the worst record received the No. 1 pick.
    • Sabres won the lottery to stay at 1st overall.
    • Kraken hopped from 3 to 2.

That's some serious bad luck, especially in 2021 when we had better odds! Those lottery drafts were under Murray. The next year, we have a new GM in Verbeek.

• 2022: Finished 10th; stayed at 10th after lottery.
    • The Habs won the lottery to stay at 1st overall.
    • NJ jumped from 5 to 2.
    • Ari dropped from 2 to 3.

The silver lining here is we've only dropped down one during the Murray years. With the newer iteration of the lottery system, there's less movement for the past two drafts and the teams that finished last actually have won the lottery. The movers seem to be the ones with the higher odds of picks 3 and 4. This year is a great year to finish last with Bedard on the line.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We would need to finish with 60 points or fewer to have any chance at all at the 1 or 2 seed. Possible, but unlikely

Reactions: Static

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
God damn, we just f***ed ourselves so bad with that one little stretch of wins and OT losses. These teams aren’t catching us

The sad reality is that the Ducks could literally get zero points the rest of the season and still finish with the 4th worst record.
Beginning to look that way, though random shit can happen

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's not even any stretch of wins. You could pinpoint one or two games we had no business getting points. For example, beating Carolina on the road (in regulation!). Heck, even being just 2-3 points lower would change the potential outcomes drastically.

Oct 18, 2011
I feel like based on the schedule Anaheim has 1 or 2 wins left. But its hard to see the Sharke or Hawks winning more than that also

HunterDuck

Jan 18, 2015
OC Vibe
Getting 2005 vibes (not in that we pick 2nd, but that we barely miss out on a franchise changing prospect) all over again. Thanks Ducks. Hope we at least get a Cup in the next few years after the fact like the last time this happened.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So the worst we can draft is 6th more than likely?

So worst case scenario is?

Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Michkov

And we get our choice between
Smith benson sale (whoever 5 doesn’t take), guess not the worst thing.

Still would feel much more comfortable at 3/4

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So the worst we can draft is 6th more than likely?

So worst case scenario is?

Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Michkov

And we get our choice between
Smith benson sale (whoever 5 doesn’t take), guess not the worst thing.

Still would feel much more comfortable at 3/4
Pretty much, yes. And in this case, there'd be about a 65% chance of either a 5th or 6th pick.

Smith or Benson as the worst-case scenario is not that bad.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Getting 2005 vibes (not in that we pick 2nd, but that we barely miss out on a franchise changing prospect) all over again. Thanks Ducks. Hope we at least get a Cup in the next few years after the fact like the last time this happened.

Back then we already had the Twins in our system. This iteration, we have Terry, Zegras, and McTavish already here. It just might take a bit longer to win a Cup this time around since we're essentially building from the ground floor.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty much, yes. And in this case, there'd be about a 65% chance of either a 5th or 6th pick.

Agreed , as long as we don’t get to that awkward 7+ spot.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Going by recent patterns, since the new rules were put in place in the 2021 draft of having only two lottery draws and only the top-11 get to select per draw, the last place team has won the lottery two years in a row. That would mean the most team team can drop is one if the pattern holds.

2021 #3 Sea jumped to #2 and 2022 #5 NJ jumped to #2. It feels like the worst spot to be in is the #2 spot. So maybe...

Maybe it's better this way
We'd hurt each other with the things we'd want to say
We could have been so good together
We could have lived this dance forever
But now, who's gonna dance with me?

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Agreed , as long as we don’t get to that awkward 7+ spot.

Montreal has an 8 point lead on the Ducks with the same amount of games played. Their next two games are a must follow. Tonight against Buffalo and tomorrow night against Philly. The Habs have recently beaten Pitt (6-4), TB (3-2), and Columbus (8-2). If the Habs can steal 4 points in the next two nights, then things should be looking brighter.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I said it before and I will repeat, after this kind of season, anything other than the 1OA (which I know, won't happen) is a failure. This season was CRAP, the worst I can recall ever, yet we're might not even get one of the first three picks. f***!

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
We are now (basically) guaranteed a top 6 pick in a draft where the gap between 6 and 7 is probably as big as the gap between 7 and the mid 20s.

It's a good day.

I said it before and I will repeat, after this kind of season, anything other than the 1OA (which I know, won't happen) is a failure. This season was CRAP, the worst I can recall ever, yet we're might not even get one of the first three picks. f***!
And we still will draft the best draftee the Ducks have drafted in over 20 years.

If you want a failure of a season that was wasted look at SJ losing Stutzle for Karlsson.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Yup. Team was overachieving with a terrible roster all season long. When we did ditch some talent at the TDL, it didn't destroy us much like other teams that did jettison a lot of talent to cause all of them to tank harder than us.

We’ve still got a chance to finish lower than 4th. Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

All I know is that for the past two drafts, 1OA wins 1OA and 2nd OV gets leapfrogged.

Oct 18, 2011
What's truly amazing is Anaheim has the worst goal differential by a good amount, and yet somehow it feels impossible they will finish with the fewest points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad