2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
My last thought for the evening: I think we finish somewhere bottom 3-5, with an equally small chance of 2 or 6.

I don’t think 2nd to last is out of reach but it will take some (bad? Good?) luck.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
79.5% of drafting top 5. It is what it is, you can’t be angry with the actual team for trying.
Agree but I can’t bring myself to cheer for it. When I was younger i might’ve never wanted to see the Ducks lose, but now I don’t want them to get stuck in mediocrity because of them winning after already sucking it up. I support McT, Z, and Terry points and I hope we lose every game by 1.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Coyotes fans are rooting for Toronto to get swept in the 1st round again so Shane Doan can convince Matthews to come play with his son in a couple years.

Matthews NMC kicks in next year.

John

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agree but I can’t bring myself to cheer for it. When I was younger i might’ve never wanted to see the Ducks lose, but now I don’t want them to get stuck in mediocrity because of them winning after already sucking it up. I support McT, Z, and Terry points and I hope we lose every game by 1.

Can actually stomach the losses more when Z and Mac put up production and look good. But given the situation when they lose just shrug it off.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Feels a lot better than Leason or someone leading us to pointless victory

I don't mind. In fact, I think it's great b/c it shows hard work pays off and that's a great example to have. If a fringe player can do the work, then your talented players should also do the work to generate points. That's the reason Rico was waived. Rico isn't part of the far future, but he does set a standard for our youths.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
I don't mind. In fact, I think it's great b/c it shows hard work pays off and that's a great example to have. If a fringe player can do the work, then your talented players should also do the work to generate points. That's the reason Rico was waived. Rico isn't part of the far future, but he does set a standard for our youths.
I’ll never disagree with a player needing to play to the best of their ability for themselves and their team. The difference between setting that small example and getting a higher pick aren’t equal to me and I don’t think it’ll be worth as much as getting the best talent in hindsight.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’ll never disagree with a player needing to play to the best of their ability for themselves and their team. The difference between setting that small example and getting a higher pick aren’t equal to me and I don’t think it’ll be worth as much as getting the best talent in hindsight.

This is why the lottery was instituted.

Anyhow, setting an example isn't small b/c you're setting the foundation for the youths that should last for the rest of their career. Developing resiliency is an important trait. We found out the other night that the Calgary Flames have never had a comeback after being down after two periods. Anaheim has had several comebacks from multi-goal deficits.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
So who on the Ducks wants to lose for the benefit of players who will replace them?

You are just not going to get the marginal NHL players to tank. It is their livelihood. None of us would do it, why would they?

John

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
This is why the lottery was instituted.

Anyhow, setting an example isn't small b/c you're setting the foundation for the youths that should last for the rest of their career. Developing resiliency is an important trait. We found out the other night that the Calgary Flames have never had a comeback after being down after two periods. Anaheim has had several comebacks from multi-goal deficits.
I don’t mean small as in unimportant, but comparatively. Leason or any other temporary player’s lasting impact will be small compared to getting a better player in the draft

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Tank race turning me into a monster thinking it's very convenient timing for Merzlikins needing to go home to Latvia to deal with a family illness so the Blue Jackets can roll a Michael Hutchinson/Daniil Tarasov tandem in net. Columbus picked the right year for a bizarre set of circumstances and injuries to fully come together (in addition to Brad Larsen tearing down the culture that Torts built there in just under two years).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Tank race turning me into a monster thinking it's very convenient timing for Merzlikins needing to go home to Latvia to deal with a family illness so the Blue Jackets can roll a Michael Hutchinson/Daniil Tarasov tandem in net. Columbus picked the right year for a bizarre set of circumstances and injuries to fully come together (in addition to Brad Larsen tearing down the culture that Torts built there in just under two years).
it's called being dedicated to the tank. have to respect it

pretty much the opposite of what the ducks are doing

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That’s what I am aware is likely best for the team long term, but it’s not fun to sit in the stands and root for the team to do poorly. I’m also aware that probably 60% of these players are trying to prove they don’t belong in the AHL/Europe next year, and I’m empathetic enough to want them to do want them to not fail.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Can actually stomach the losses more when Z and Mac put up production and look good. But given the situation when they lose just shrug it off.

Feels a lot better than Leason or someone leading us to pointless victory

I don’t mean small as in unimportant, but comparatively. Leason or any other temporary player’s lasting impact will be small compared to getting a better player in the draft

I'm a perplexed with your logic. If Leason scores and we win, then it's bad because we won't be getting a better palyer in the draft. But if we win and won't be getting a better prospect in the draft because McTavish or Z scored, then it's okay?

We potentially lose a better player in the draft regardless who scores to help us win.

Getting a top-5 or top-10 pick automatically makes that forward we draft our best forward in our lineup. Will that one forward drastically change Anaheim's outcome next year if we don't improve our defense? No. Is there a #1D in the top-5 like an Owen Power in this draft? No. We are waiting for our defense to come and get established at the NHL level is when we'll take off as a team.

Just my opinion, but I think we've won three lotteries and all three are forwards in Terry, Z, and McTavish. What McTavish has been able to do as a 19/20 year old rookie on a team lacking defense and physicality just makes whatever forward we get in the top-10 this year just icing on the cake. While I'd love to win the lottery and get Bedard, I'll be content with any top-10 pick. Terry was drafted in the 5th round. Z was drafted 9th overall. The scouting community didn't think McTavish was a top-10 pick, but we still took him 3rd overall.

Winning or getting a point by going to OT means the players and system worked despite the lack of talent on the ice. And when there's talent added at talent-void positions, then the team's expectations increase. It's still a team game.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Sharks and BJs tomorrow. At this point, i think CBJ has this tank in the bag due to goaltending, so i'm hoping a 3 point game and a sharks win. CBJ can save their energy for us on Friday.
We’re 7 points ahead of CBJ. I gave up on them. Chicago too because they suck so much

Teams to focus on the rest of the year: AZ,SJS, MTL, PHI, VAN.

Hopefully we can finish 3rd or 4th worst at this point

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

Elvis is at .880 and 4.1 GAA... Him leaving might hurt their tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad