2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’m happy when they win, but then realize they are falling out of that Top 3 pick, and so have mixed emotions.
I have not set too high expectations for the position we will pick. When the big sad about this does come around, I just remember that even the best odds have a 75% chance of NOT picking 1st :laugh: It helps a bit, so I'm just like ''ok, whatever, nothing guaranteed there anyway".

If we win, I'm happy to see players happy and motivated. Especially if our young core is scoring. There is a bit of a ''ah, we're probably falling in the draft'' feel somewhere in the background but it is what it is :laugh: I then go to remember what I wrote in the first paragraph here :laugh:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have not set too high expectations for the position we will pick. When the big sad about this does come around, I just remember that even the best odds have a 75% chance of NOT picking 1st :laugh: It helps a bit, so I'm just like ''ok, whatever, nothing guaranteed there anyway".

If we win, I'm happy to see players happy and motivated. Especially if our young core is scoring. There is a bit of a ''ah, we're probably falling in the draft'' feel somewhere in the background but it is what it is :laugh: I then go to remember what I wrote in the first paragraph here :laugh:

When we see the kids like Mac and Z contributing it’s a good thing. When Megna scores a goal I’m like meh, no offense to him. Lol

We still have some tough teams ahead fighting for position , so we shall see how it goes, we also play Vancouver 3 times, so those games should be interesting lol.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
1677941211466.png

Lol at Vancouver tradin their first this week.
Gotta hope for that 1st or 2nd pick odds, who actually decreases pretty evenly.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Damn we really are picking #5-#9 with our draft luck and every other team full tanking....

If you think about it. We feel to Zegras at #9, we fell to Drysdale at #6, and we fell to McTavish at #3, and I think Minty’s floor is a 2nd paring #3/#4 D.

With this draft the Top 10 is stacked. I think we will be fine. Of course yeah would prefer a Top 3 pick with Bedard being the ultimate prize.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If you think about it. We feel to Zegras at #9, we fell to Drysdale at #6, and we fell to McTavish at #3.

With this draft the Top 10 is stacked. I think we will be fine. Of course yeah would prefer a Top 3 pick.
Yeah - in our current core the highest pick was #3 and the lowest was in the 5th round. I think our situation only seems dire at the moment because we've been so lousy hitting on forwards in the mid-first to second rounds.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah - in our current core the highest pick was #3 and the lowest was in the 5th round. I think our situation only seems dire at the moment because we've been so lousy hitting on forwards in the mid-first to second rounds.

It’s why Verbeek is stocking up on those 2nd and 3rd round picks. Trying to hit a bullseye, and will have more darts to work with.

I’ve embraced the tank, we really need a Top 3 pick, or even Top 5 is good, I just can’t root for them to lose.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It’s why Verbeek is stocking up on those 2nd and 3rd round picks. Trying to hit a bullseye, and will have more darts to work with.

I’ve embraced the tank, we really need a Top 3 pick, or even Top 5 is good, I just can’t root for them to lose.
Losing meaningless and forgettable games over the next month will likely pay huge dividends over the next decade. But I understand it is in the player's hands and other teams have maximized their ability to suck. We're screwed.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Losing meaningless and forgettable games over the next month will likely pay huge dividends over the next decade. But I understand it is in the player's hands and other teams have maximized their ability to suck. We're screwed.

That’s the thing, these players have pride and some of them are fighting for jobs next year.

Then you look at Gibson, Zegras, Terry, McTavish, Fowler, Lundy, and even Silf are just playing good hockey right now. The team is still a mess that has not changed, but the efforts of these players has made us overcome some of the other bottom teams in the league who have clearly checked out.

But I understand how important it is to land a Top 3 pick as a fan, but the players just don’t see it that way.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That’s the thing, these players have pride and some of them are fighting for jobs next year.

Then you look at Gibson, Zegras, Terry, McTavish, Fowler, Lundy, and even Silf are just playing good hockey right now. The team is still a mess that has not changed, but the efforts of these players has made us overcome some of the other bottom teams in the league who have clearly checked out.

But I understand how important it is to land a Top 3 pick as a fan, but the players just don’t see it that way.
And unfortunately last year felt like a victory drafting 10th; this year will feel like an abject defeat drafting 6-10.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
There’s a very real chance we can go 2-17 from here on out.
highly, highly doubt that happens

zegras/terry/mctavish/and especially gibson are playing well enough to win games, in contrast to teams like chicago and arizona who completely gutted their rosters and are icing AHL teams. plus, their upcoming schedule features other tanking teams who they are simply better than

i'm going to guess they finish 5th worst pre-lottery. chicago, columbus, arizona, and san jose will finish worse

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Gotta say it's also very annoying that the team has given up only 2 regulation goals in each of the last two games while icing an AHL defense. Shows how poorly and disinterested the team was playing in the first 60 games.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
highly, highly doubt that happens

zegras/terry/mctavish/and especially gibson are playing well enough to win games, in contrast to teams like chicago and arizona who completely gutted their rosters and are icing AHL teams. plus, their upcoming schedule features other tanking teams who they are simply better than

i'm going to guess they finish 5th worst pre-lottery. chicago, columbus, arizona, and san jose will finish worse
Remaining schedule:

Seattle
Vancouver
Calgary
Nashville
NYI
Columbus
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
St. Louis
Colorado
Seattle
Edmonton
Calgary
Edmonton
Arizona
Colorado
Vancouver
LA

I would expect wins over Columbus and Arizona.
I could see anything from losing thrice to Vancouver to winning thrice vs Vancouver
I expect to lose to Nashville and St Louis, because we are built badly to play those teams under normal circumstances.
I expect to lose, often by rout, to the playoff teams.

I expect Gibson to burn out and/or get some groin injury, because Gibson. Dostal is a wildcard, but isn’t prime Gibson.

I’m not saying we WILL only win 2 games, but I can look at that schedule and see how it could plausibly happen. How well our forwards are playing is irrelevant with the defense we will be icing.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Remaining schedule:

Seattle
Vancouver
Calgary
Nashville
NYI
Columbus
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
St. Louis
Colorado
Seattle
Edmonton
Calgary
Edmonton
Arizona
Colorado
Vancouver
LA

I would expect wins over Columbus and Arizona.
I could see anything from losing thrice to Vancouver to winning thrice vs Vancouver
I expect to lose to Nashville and St Louis, because we are built badly to play those teams under normal circumstances.
I expect to lose, often by rout, to the playoff teams.

I expect Gibson to burn out and/or get some groin injury, because Gibson. Dostal is a wildcard, but isn’t prime Gibson.

I’m not saying we WILL only win 2 games, but I can look at that schedule and see how it could plausibly happen. How well our forwards are playing is irrelevant with the defense we will be icing.

Putting on the special "50 Shades of Red" point getting glasses....

Remaining schedule:

Seattle​
Vancouver​
Calgary ---> RED TEAM​
Nashville​
NYI​
Columbus​
Vancouver​
Calgary ---> RED TEAM​
Winnipeg​
St. Louis​
Colorado ---> Maroon TEAM ... that's a shade of Red​
Seattle​
Edmonton​
Calgary ---> RED TEAM​
Edmonton​
Arizona ---> RED TEAM​
Colorado ---> Maroon TEAM​
Vancouver​
LA​

Our history with these Red (and shades of Red)

Vs Calgary: 0-0-1 (1 pt)​
Vs Colorado: 1-0-0 (2 pts)​
Vs Arizona: 2-0-0 (4 pts)​

Using the "50 Shades of Red" colored team conspiracy theory, the Ducks should earn a point in these six games. We don't have to win games to ruin our chances at top-4 pick, we can still collect the loser points. If this does come to fruition, I'll take a chianti. Make sure you know your company b/c you could end up on opposing extremes of the spectrum.

62994c91-823b-4151-9bd5-723e496eb359_text.gif

⬆️
From here to there...
⬇️

hannibal-lecter-anthony-hopkins.gif

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad