HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If both our pick and Florida's pick end up being around top 10 picks, I wonder if management will try to trade 1 of them for a young player already in the league. Similar to the Dach and DeBrincat trades last draft.
I think if they get another 1st they’ll trade that one and go after Dubois

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think if they get another 1st they’ll trade that one and go after Dubois

Prior to this season, I would have traded for Dubois but as time moved forward, I'd wait till he is UFA. Just talk to him again after July 1st when he is a RFA again. Ensure you let him know we are very interested in signing him if he reaches UFA. Lets the Jets drown with him in trying to get trade value for his last RFA year and bank on Dubois not willing to do sign/trade with any other team

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Prior to this season, I would have traded for Dubois but as time moved forward, I'd wait till he is UFA. Just talk to him again after July 1st when he is a RFA again. Ensure you let him know we are very interested in signing him if he reaches UFA. Lets the Jets drown with him in trying to get trade value for his last RFA year and bank on Dubois not willing to do sign/trade with any other team

I'm of the opinion that if the Habs want Dubois, don't sit and wait until he's a UFA. If you really want him on your team, you find a way to trade for him (if the price is worth paying, of course. Not at any cost).

Because if Jets trade him to another team and he does well there and he ends up signing an extension with his new team, you end up missing out on a player you want.

I just imagine a Top-6 of Caufield, Suzuki, Dach, Dubois & Slaf. You're building a very skilled and talented Top-6.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm of the opinion that if the Habs want Dubois, don't sit and wait until he's a UFA. If you really want him on your team, you find a way to trade for him (if the price is worth paying, of course. Not at any cost).

Because if Jets trade him to another team and he does well there and he ends up signing an extension with his new team, you end up missing out on a player you want.

I just imagine a Top-6 of Caufield, Suzuki, Dach, Dubois & Slaf. You're building a very skilled and talented Top-6.

You can find that out after July 1st. He is a RFA for one more year and can talk to his agent. His agent will let us know his real intentions and it's likely Hughes and Gorton already know.

Habs are tracking well with our future and we are willing to pay him. Dubois will get another good contract next year for his last RFA year and then can sign with the Habs for 7 years. He fits as a home town boy at a young age and team direction. I see mutual interest and no way he signs to stay with the Jets IMO.

I'd take the risks of keeping our futures and adding him for free as a UFA.... based on what his agent tells us after July 1st. Avs would be concerning but does Sakic have the cap space to sign Dubois for 7 years?

Reactions: atrud66

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You can find that out after July 1st. He is a RFA for one more year and can talk to his agent. His agent will let us know his real intentions and it's likely Hughes and Gorton already know.

Habs are tracking well with our future and we are willing to pay him. Dubois will get another good contract next year for his last RFA year and then can sign with the Habs for 7 years.

I'd take the risks of keeping our futures and adding him for free as a UFA.... based on what his agent tells us after July 1st.

You can definitely take the risk of keeping your assets and see if he will indeed hit UFA. You just run the risk on missing out on a player you target. It doesn't mean you won't have other options.

You know who also becomes a UFA the same summer as Dubois? Sebastian Aho ;) (although I don't see Carolina not extending him).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

If I'm Dubois and I've made it abundantly clear to the Canadiens that I want to play for them and their response is to ask me to put my life on hold for a year because they don't want to trade a couple of assets for me, I'm not sure I'd react very well to it. He's a human being with life plans. Maybe he's willing to wait, but it's certainly not something I'd be comfortable betting on.

This x1000000000000. People think that GMs are just dealing with names on a screen. It's so far removed from reality.

Reactions: Sorinth and badfish

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I'm Dubois and I've made it abundantly clear to the Canadiens that I want to play for them and their response is to ask me to put my life on hold for a year because they don't want to trade a couple of assets for me, I'm not sure I'd react very well to it. He's a human being with life plans. Maybe he's willing to wait, but it's certainly not something I'd be comfortable betting on.

This x1000000000000. People think that GMs are just dealing with names on a screen. It's so far removed from reality.

I'm I'm Dubois and I want to win a Cup with the Habs, I'd let the Habs keep their futures and chase a cup with the Jets or another team in the next two seasons. It's possible one of those futures could be a line mate in Montreal at a later day bud. Dubois goal is basically to get paid and to win. I'm sure he prefers both.

It's very possible Dubois don't care what is traded to acquire him and I get that angle. I'm not emotionally tied to Dubois as the sole solution after Suzuki. You can talk with his agent on our strategy and see what he says. If he don't like it and prefers us to trade for him this summer, then you evaluate a new strategy. Simple as that

Information and communication is something we don't have access to as fans. I'm sure Hughes knows both sides of the fence and will manage it to his best ability.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm I'm Dubois and I want to win a Cup with the Habs, I'd let the Habs keep their futures and chase a cup with the Jets or another team in the next two seasons.

It's very possible Dubois don't care what is traded to acquire him and I get that angle. I'm not emotionally tied to Dubois as the sole solution after Suzuki. You can talk with his agent on our strategy and see what he says. If he don't like it and prefers us to trade for him this summer, then you evaluate a new strategy. Simple as that

The only reason you think this way is because you're seeing this entirely from the solipsistic point of view of a fan on the internet.

I don't think Dubois' sole (see, even primary) reason to sign with the Habs is because he dreams of winning the Cup for them. There appears to be a lot of personal/family reasons involved. If the Canadiens want Dubois, don't wait - so long as you're comfortable with the price. It seems that last summer, the Canadiens weren't. We'll see what happens next summer, if anything at all.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Of course it all comes down to whether they really want Dubois, and what a long-term contract would cost. Then, if affordable, they would focus on what they would be willing to trade to get him.

We don,t need to buid up mgic beans forever, we have plenty of top picks and prospects in the pipleline. I'd be ok with trading a fair package for Dubois if he would sign long-term under $7.5M, and still re-sign Monahan for 3-4 years while trading Dvorak and even Anderson if a good return is on the table.

Either Monahan or Dubois can move to wing if Beck forces his way onto the team and then moves up to 3C. Maybe for 2024-25 we are stronger with:
Dubois-Suzuki-Caufield
Slaf-Monahan-Dach
Farrell-Beck-Anderson
Heineman-Evans-Gallagher

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course it all comes down to whether they really want Dubois, and what a long-term contract would cost. Then, if affordable, they would focus on what they would be willing to trade to get him.

We don,t need to buid up mgic beans forever, we have plenty of top picks and prospects in the pipleline. I'd be ok with trading a fair package for Dubois if he would sign long-term under $7.5M, and still re-sign Monahan for 3-4 years while trading Dvorak and even Anderson if a good return is on the table.

Either Monahan or Dubois can move to wing if Beck forces his way onto the team and then moves up to 3C. Maybe for 2024-25 we are stronger with:
Dubois-Suzuki-Caufield
Slaf-Monahan-Dach
Farrell-Beck-Anderson
Heineman-Evans-Gallagher

I tend to agree that we would like Dubois but if the price to trade for him is too high, we should not be desperate. Desperate trades are a bad idea. Let them down with Dubois and ensure you keep the communication channels open with his agent as much as possible. Conversation last summer likely happened and you can have another one after July 1st this summer.

Jets are not trading him if they are in a playoff spot which they are. It's possible they explore trade options this summer cause they don't want to loose their RFA for nothing. Basically a Trouba situation and if PLD is not interested in sign/trade before he hits UFA, it plays in our favor. That's the angle we need to take.

I'd use futures like Kidney and possibly the Panthers pick (when we know where it's at.. not before). I would not go higher than that. Trouba had a 50 pts season and was traded for Poink and the 20th pick. That could be Harris and Kidney as a similar offer.

Reactions: atrud66

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Really? Who said that? I'd be curious to read the quote.
I don't remember. Some TV analyst who's a former player like Gervais or Mike Johnson...

But it makes sense. I also remember an interview with then 21 year old Tie Domi when he was in Winnipeg and they sucked. He was saying they have a bunch of young guys like himself and Selanne (yes he used himself and Selanne in the same sentence) and they were loving playing together and saw the future as bright.

Just checked in and saw the score is 3-0 Ottawa. Nice!

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looking good tonight, especially since Ottawa is a team that needs to pass us.

This was a must lose since we've got the Ducks tomorrow and a likely win. It would be a great time for their second regulation win for the season but I won't hold my breath.

Edit: we're tying this aren't we?

Edit 2: thank goodness we got the L

Last edited:

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Looking good tonight, especially since Ottawa is a team that needs to pass us.

This was a must lose since we've got the Ducks tomorrow and a likely win. It would be a great time for their second regulation win for the season but I won't hold my breath.

Edit: we're tying this aren't we?
We can always hope Zegras goes off for like 4 points tomorrow

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anaheim is the rested team and just got spanked by Toronto so they should come out hungry. But remember how bad we were last year? The Ducks are even worse.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Anaheim is the rested team and just got spanked by Toronto so they should come out hungry. But remember how bad we were last year? The Ducks are even worse.

Ducks have 1 goal for in their last 3 games.

6-1 loss to Sharks
3-0 loss to Sens
7-0 loss to Leafs

Here's hoping they kept the goals for tomorrow. 😉

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Exactly.
I doubt the flames were among the top teams Huberdeau was interested to play for, but they traded for him and then offered him a big contract. Huberdeau didn't have a reason to refuse, so he signed the contract.
The same could happen with Dubois and another team.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Canucks got off to a 2-0 lead, went down 3-2, now it's tied 3-3 five minutes into 2nd period. So, yeah, just Canucks things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad