HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah. I’m not a tankist but it’s really annoying to have these two keep stealing games they don’t need to steal. And it’s not like they do it regularly enough to get us to the playoffs either.

I mean, are we really going to pretend like Allen/Montembault haven't also lost games for this team? There were a few games where Allen was pretty much spotting 2-0/3-0 leads to the opposition.

He should've been sold and not extended. This was the one year we should've tanked.

I'm pretty sure you lose the room right there and then.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I agree with you. I would have sold to help the tank.

But on the whole, Allen hasn't been great this year. And you do need decent goaltending when developing young prospects.

It is a tough balance between developing the youth in a competitive, winning culture and tanking to get those generational top 5 picks that the vast majority of cup winners have had.

It's really not a tough balance at all. The Colorado Avalanche didn't get McKinnon because they sold everyone with a bit of value. Neither did the Tampa Bay Lightning to obtain Stamkos and Hedman. In fact, they kept star veterans (or added them in terms of Iginla in Colorado) to surround their young guys. Pittsburgh did the same thing as well as soon as they got Crosby but their story is a bit different due to the all the off-ice issues they had.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's really not a tough balance at all. The Colorado Avalanche didn't get McKinnon because they sold everyone with a bit of value. Neither did the Tampa Bay Lightning to obtain Stamkos and Hedman. In fact, they kept star veterans (or added them in terms of Iginla in Colorado) to surround their young guys. Pittsburgh did the same thing as well as soon as they got Crosby but their story is a bit different due to the all the off-ice issues they had.
The year Tampa got Hedman, they also had a second 1st round pick. Same with the year they drafted 10th overall. How did they get those extra 1sts?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The year Tampa got Hedman, they also had a second 1st round pick. Same with the year they drafted 10th overall. How did they get those extra 1sts?

They finished 10th in the Conference when they drafted 10th. You call that tank year? Or are you trying to suggest that I have anything against trading for firsts? I have no problem with trading 1sts for certain players. I'm against a scorched earth approach that trading Jake Allen would represent.

By the way, they actually traded a 1st round pick the offseason they drafted Stamkos (!), which is the off-season before they drafted Hedman.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Both were trades with Detroit (Holland).

Hedman was drafted in 2009. TB moved up for the 2nd 1st trading their 2nd round pick & another 3rd round pick to move up. They took Carter Ashton. Detroit took Landon Ferraro and another bust.

The 2012 trade which got them the pick for Vasilevsky was a 3 way with Colorado & Detroit. Colorado got Steve Downie from TB, Detroit Kyle Quincy from Colorado, TB a 1st from Detroit to draft Vasilevsky.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Both were trades with Detroit (Holland).

Hedman was drafted in 2009. TB moved up for the 2nd 1st trading their 2nd round pick & another 3rd round pick to move up. They took Carter Ashton. Detroit took Landon Ferraro and another bust.

The 2012 trade which got them the pick for Vasilevsky was a 3 way with Colorado & Detroit. Colorado got Steve Downie from TB, Detroit Kyle Quincy from Colorado, TB a 1st from Detroit to draft Vasilevsky.

Wow much tank job 🤪

Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They finished 10th in the Conference when they drafted 10th. You call that tank year? Or are you trying to suggest that I have anything against trading for firsts? I have no problem with trading 1sts for certain players. I'm against a scorched earth approach that trading Jake Allen would represent.

By the way, they actually traded a 1st round pick the offseason they drafted Stamkos (!), which is the off-season before they drafted Hedman.

Fair enough for the approach you would take. But I think Chicago will get a good one this year. It remains to be seen what they'll build and become.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Fair enough for the approach you wou and d take. But I think Chicago will get a good one this year. It remains to see what they'll build a d as nd become.

I'm just glad HuGo seem to feel the certain way. Don't forget that Chicago, by trading us a guy like Dach, ends up from further back. Think about that. We can't just dismiss that we already have Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Slafkovsky. That's already an awesome haul. We missed most years in the last 5. It's not that surprising.

Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm just glad HuGo seem to feel the certain way. Don't forget that Chicago, by trading us a guy like Dach, ends up from further back. Think about that. We can't just dismiss that we already have Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Slafkovsky. That's already an awesome haul. We missed most years in the last 5. It's not that surprising.

I like that 5 plus Xhekaj. And I like many other young players (Beck, Farrell, Mesar, Heineman, Roy, Hutson, Harris, Mailloux, Barron, Engstrom, Strubble).

So, of course I wouldn't mind adding a generational talent to this core. But it is a legitimate question: at what cost to the young players on the team to go through a losing season? I do remember one ex NHLer saying young players are so excited about just making it to and being in the NHL when they first get there that they don't mind losing, especially if they think the future of the team is bright.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

good-family-guy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SwiftyHab

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I like that 5 plus Xhekaj. And I like many other young players (Beck, Farrell, Mesar, Heineman, Roy, Hutson, Harris, Mailloux, Barron, Engstrom, Strubble).

So, of course I wouldn't mind adding a generational talent to this core. But it is a legitimate question: at what cost to the young players on the team to go through a losing season? I do remember one ex NHLer saying young players are so excited about just making it to and being in the NHL when they first get there that they don't mind losing, especially if they think the future of the team is bright.

Really? Who said that? I'd be curious to read the quote.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Imagine how many firsts HuGo could accumulate by trading Suzuki, Caulfield, Dach, Slafkovsky, and Guhle ;-)

Reactions: Tuggy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They said he couldn’t adjust to the playoffs
I think the team he inherited was simply not built for the playoffs....we have seen many times a season long dominant team lose in the playoffs.
Didn't the 62 win Red Wings lose in the play offs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad