Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season - 154-8 still possible - Adam Duvall suffered fractured wrist, no timetable set for his return

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
As someone who is more or less indifferent towards this organization, what’s the direction?

Continue to bide their time and make a run in 2-3 years once they rid themselves of bad contracts and some of these guys in the minors reach the big leagues?
Throw enough short term crap at the wall hoping some of it sticks so you remain competitive without making long term commitments and hope you don't end up with 5k attendance at Fenway in June. Pray your farm develops and wait for FA you think are worth it because you're not paying market rate.

Reactions: CDJ

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Continue to bide their time and make a run in 2-3 years once they rid themselves of bad contracts and some of these guys in the minors reach the big leagues?
Kind of.

I mean it's a little more complicated than that, but essentially...

1. Draft and develop.
2. Figure out which players are franchise cornerstones and get them signed long-term.
3. Surround those cornerstones with younger, cost-controlled players from your farm system.
4. Create as much organizational depth as possible.
5. In the mean time, sign veterans to reasonable short-term contracts that may have some value if you need to flip them at the trade deadline.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
The offense has dried up as expexted. While they are still ranking in the top 5 for runs scored (which won't hold up for much longer), most other relevant categories have them in the mid teen ranks where they probably belong. OBP has them at 18, SLG is at 13 and OPS at 15.

kids a very good athlete for his size

Mayer is a stud and anyone can see it. If anything, he is still underrated. You can dream big on his frame and athleticism.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Ryan Weathers has the best pickoff move I’ve seen since Andy Pettitte. 10 runners picked off in a little over 100 total MLB innings. He made Pete Alonso look silly last night…

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Ryan Weathers has the best pickoff move I’ve seen since Andy Pettitte. 10 runners picked off in a little over 100 total MLB innings. He made Pete Alonso look silly last night…

Does he also balk every single time like Pettitte did?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
As someone who is more or less indifferent towards this organization, what’s the direction?

People will answer this as if Chaim actually has a plan. But in year 4, his plan is well behind schedule. Some are ok waiting five more years before reaching a conclusion. As far as I'm concerned we are trotting out a garbage team in year 4 of a GMs tenure and he doesn't get a pass for that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Kind of.

I mean it's a little more complicated than that, but essentially...

1. Draft and develop.
2. Figure out which players are franchise cornerstones and get them signed long-term.
3. Surround those cornerstones with younger, cost-controlled players from your farm system.
4. Create as much organizational depth as possible.
5. In the mean time, sign veterans to reasonable short-term contracts that may have some value if you need to flip them at the trade deadline.
I mean they are the Red Sox, the first one should be to buy talent on the open market. The penalties are not enough to not spend. A lot

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I mean they are the Red Sox, the first one should be to buy talent on the open market. The penalties are not enough to not spend. A lot
Yes, at some point, the Red Sox will have enough cost-controlled players where it will make sense to make high-profile acquisitions.

They're not really at that point, yet.

Also, if the CBT penalties are not significant, why did the Dodgers slash their payroll this year to get under the threshold?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
People will answer this as if Chaim actually has a plan. But in year 4, his plan is well behind schedule. Some are ok waiting five more years before reaching a conclusion. As far as I'm concerned we are trotting out a garbage team in year 4 of a GMs tenure and he doesn't get a pass for that.

every team has plan just have to hope its not a last place plan in the divison

Reactions: Johnnyduke

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Yes, at some point, the Red Sox will have enough cost-controlled players where it will make sense to make high-profile acquisitions.

They're not really at that point, yet.

Also, if the CBT penalties are not significant, why did the Dodgers slash their payroll this year to get under the threshold?
They are over by about 10 mil iirc while a team like the Red Sox are what 15 mil under?

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Can we fast track him here. Cause Kike and Arroyo ain't cutting it. Heck. Give me David Hamilton and his speed.
Whaddya mean? Arroyo is AWESOME and Kike is playing AWESOME baseball. Arroyo's total impatience at the plate has done more to increase the speed of the game than any rule. Of course his lousy defense slows it down. ... All hail Chaim Bloom. We are playing Bloomball baby.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Whaddya mean? Arroyo is AWESOME and Kike is playing AWESOME baseball. Arroyo's total impatience at the plate has done more to increase the speed of the game than any rule. Of course his lousy defense slows it down. ... All hail Chaim Bloom. We are playing Bloomball baby.

It's cool watching Xander hit these bombs in Xan Diego. Too bad they didn't offer him what they did in the off season in spring training because he would of signed it. But no. We're stuck with a bunch of ...whatever they are. Cool. Cool. Cool.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

This annoys me. I don't want any expansion while Oakland and Tampa are allowed to have teams playing in dumpsters. Relocation before expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad