Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You don't find David Ortizes very often. Really you just want to collect as many good hitters as you can and align the defense and lineup accordingly based on matchups.

If you can get another outfielder so Masa can get the hell out of the field of play and just hit, I think that's your best option. But I like having versatility in the lineup so maybe you sit one of the OFs because of a match-up or an injury and you can have Devers DH and Valdez or Cedanne or someone at third.

Given a new GM, I'm not taking for granted that the same core of players is going to be here in April. I'd love Duvall back, but I can't read Breslow's mind for how he's approaching the market. Can't guarantee the young players we've been counting on as part of the future will actually be part of it or if there's a shift in organizational planning with the new regime. Wouldn't be shocked if Verdugo were traded either tbqh.

Reactions: Mione134

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
If you told me that the plan for next season was to have your five OFs be Yoshida, Duran, Abreu, Duvall, and Refsnyder... I wouldn't hate it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
LF Abreu
CF Duran
RF Duvall
3B Devers
SS Story
2B Valdez
1B Casas
C Wong
DH Yoshida

That's a decent theoretical lineup - mostly depending on how much power you can get from Story coming back from his injuries and whether Casas takes the leap to a 35-40 HR guy.

I do think they trade Verdugo in a package for a back of the rotation starter. I don't see how he fits in here. Good player, but doesn't bring anything the Red Sox are lacking and the contract situation makes him tradeable.

Reactions: sarge88

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
LF Abreu
CF Duran
RF Duvall
3B Devers
SS Story
2B Valdez
1B Casas
C Wong
DH Yoshida

That's a decent theoretical lineup - mostly depending on how much power you can get from Story coming back from his injuries and whether Casas takes the leap to a 35-40 HR guy.

I do think they trade Verdugo in a package for a back of the rotation starter. I don't see how he fits in here. Good player, but doesn't bring anything the Red Sox are lacking and the contract situation makes him tradeable.
I am not really concerned with our lineup, we can add some pieces to make up for the losses of AD/ JT as I think they will sign elsewhere. Abreu looks like he is ready but there is no guarantee he can play everyday and hit the way he did in AAA.
We need:
C - a backup to Wong that has power , one year or two year deal. Mitch Garver would be great.
2B - we have no clear cut 2B, get someone that bats RH and can play in the OF as well...Whit Merrifield would be my choice.
OF - we need another RH bat that is decent defensively and has some power, Teoscar Hernandez / Gurriel Jr
1B - backup to TC, since JT is gone, take a flyer on Rhys Hoskins. He has a tailor made swing for Fenway and bats RH
SP - we need two
RP- not much to add here, maybe another LH pitcher or a vet like David Robertson?

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I am not really concerned with our lineup, we can add some pieces to make up for the losses of AD/ JT as I think they will sign elsewhere. Abreu looks like he is ready but there is no guarantee he can play everyday and hit the way he did in AAA.
We need:
C - a backup to Wong that has power , one year or two year deal. Mitch Garver would be great.
2B - we have no clear cut 2B, get someone that bats RH and can play in the OF as well...Whit Merrifield would be my choice.
OF - we need another RH bat that is decent defensively and has some power, Teoscar Hernandez / Gurriel Jr
1B - backup to TC, since JT is gone, take a flyer on Rhys Hoskins. He has a tailor made swing for Fenway and bats RH
SP - we need two
RP- not much to add here, maybe another LH pitcher or a vet like David Robertson?
I love Rhys Hoskins, definitely would be for that

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Ya I am perfectly fine with unloading Verdugo. He's a nice player but I don' think he's ever going to take that next step offensively. Seems stagnated. I have compared him to Benintendi in that regard. I don't NEED them to trade him but I am definitely ok with fielding offers.
Verdugo and Abreu are the same type of player, we do not need them both.
I think Abreu has the potential to hit for more power vs AV.
A good fit might be the Angels, we need an infielder and they have Brandon Drury. He can play 2B and should hit 20-25 HR's which is what we need.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Verdugo and Abreu are the same type of player, we do not need them both.
I think Abreu has the potential to hit for more power vs AV.
A good fit might be the Angels, we need an infielder and they have Brandon Drury. He can play 2B and should hit 20-25 HR's which is what we need.
If I'm the Red Sox, I'm not focusing on power numbers for a middle infield player. I'm looking for defense first. Sure if you can get 25HR out of your SS/2B then great. But defensively, the Sox were awful, and that needs to be addressed. More so than adding more power to the lineup.

Drury would fit the bill. He's at least average, defensively. Which is an upgrade.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
If you told me that the plan for next season was to have your five OFs be Yoshida, Duran, Abreu, Duvall, and Refsnyder... I wouldn't hate it.
That makes one of us. I would pretty well hate it, if I can bothered to care at such typical insufficient inactivity.

If I'm the Red Sox, I'm not focusing on power numbers for a middle infield player. I'm looking for defense first. Sure if you can get 25HR out of your SS/2B then great. But defensively, the Sox were awful, and that needs to be addressed. More so than adding more power to the lineup.

Drury would fit the bill. He's at least average, defensively. Which is an upgrade.
Don't care for Drury because he is much too inconsistent/bad at the plate, but agree with your point. If they have to get a good glove/no hit 2b, I would be ok with it,

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
You don't find David Ortizes very often. Really you just want to collect as many good hitters as you can and align the defense and lineup accordingly based on matchups.

If you can get another outfielder so Masa can get the hell out of the field of play and just hit, I think that's your best option. But I like having versatility in the lineup so maybe you sit one of the OFs because of a match-up or an injury and you can have Devers DH and Valdez or Cedanne or someone at third.

Given a new GM, I'm not taking for granted that the same core of players is going to be here in April. I'd love Duvall back, but I can't read Breslow's mind for how he's approaching the market. Can't guarantee the young players we've been counting on as part of the future will actually be part of it or if there's a shift in organizational planning with the new regime. Wouldn't be shocked if Verdugo were traded either tbqh.

One thing that people don't seem to realize with Yoshida is that he needed longer to adjust to the slog that is the 162 schedule of an MLB season. Not just in terms of the length of season (especially when you tack on the WBC commitments he had) but also the traveling miles and jet lag on top of it that he never had to encounter when playing in NPB because of the short distances between opponents. I think with more time for his body to adjust to the travel schedule, Yoshida should be fine to play more in the outfield when called on to do so.

Duvall didn't seem the same after his injury and looked decent but underwhelming given his reputation and at age 35, I don't think it would be worth the Red Sox spending to keep him around.

Rafaela, Valdez, and Abreu show promise and I hope they stay in the line up at some decent level. I just wish the Red Sox would get some pitching. Actual pitching, not the bullshit we were sold as being pitching by Chaim Bloom.

Those things aside, I am interested to see what Breslow will do. I would like to think that he could capitalize on some of the pool of assets he's been given and flip some of them for real pieces in both the rotation and bullpen.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They were talking about this on radio but every other sport is exciting when free agency opens. Baseball? Absolutely nothing happens. I don't know how to change that. Maybe push the start of free agency back but when you're the only sport where there is zero buzz for start of free agency you're doing it wrong.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I won't rest until Breslow announces that Tanner Houck will be used as a relief pitcher and not a starter.

Why would he deliberately sabotage Houcks value?

As far as I am concerned, there are two options: Go ahead with him as a SP (what he in my opinion is) or trade him to a team that values him as a SP going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad