Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season - Red Sox-Yankees trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
I don't think Yoshi was overpaid. He was solid the first half. Got tired in the 2nd half as he adjusts to a full MLB season.
Sorry, I like Yoshida and was happy with the signing but he's clearly overpaid, both in terms of performance and in that no other team was close to the Sox offer, by all reports.

• Love
Reactions: quietbruinfan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Sorry, I like Yoshida and was happy with the signing but he's clearly overpaid, both in terms of performance and in that no other team was close to the Sox offer, by all reports.
Mangers were regretting not paying for him from all the industry sources that came out and spoke under anonymity

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
He signed here for good money, only Japanese player on the team. I'm sure he'd love to have his friend and fellow countryman with him.
That was a shot at my disgust with ownership, I am sure you are right but I wonder what the feeling about the sox ownership is like around the league right now?

Reactions: Mione134

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Well, given that they've won more Championships than any other team over the last 20 years, I'd say that the feeling about Sox ownership around the league is pretty envious.

The spoiled fan base on the other hand......:thumbd:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Well, given that they've won more Championships than any other team over the last 20 years, I'd say that the feeling about Sox ownership around the league is pretty envious.

The spoiled fan base on the other hand......:thumbd:
I can't keep track but are you a Brewers fan? It's tough to compare any smaller market team to a big market team. But just like Bill Belichick, the past only gets you so far. Overall of course John Henry has been a massive success for the Red Sox. But I don't think he's been a great owner in recent years. The level of commitment hasn't been there, still charging top dollar, makes a terrible decision to fire Dombrowski and replace him with a robot dork. Then is forced to settle on what was probably their 10th choice in Breslow. I don't think it's been a good run recently for Henry. That's not being spoiled. That's reality.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I can't keep track but are you a Brewers fan? It's tough to compare any smaller market team to a big market team. But just like Bill Belichick, the past only gets you so far. Overall of course John Henry has been a massive success for the Red Sox. But I don't think he's been a great owner in recent years. The level of commitment hasn't been there, still charging top dollar, makes a terrible decision to fire Dombrowski and replace him with a robot dork. Then is forced to settle on what was probably their 10th choice in Breslow. I don't think it's been a good run recently for Henry. That's not being spoiled. That's reality.
Yes. Born and raised in WI, so I'm a Brewer fan and always will be. I also root for the Texas Ranges (I used to work for them in college, and my brother still does), as well as San Diego (had a share as a season ticket holder there, as well as the Chargers, when I was in the Navy). Up until this year, I've had ZERO WS wins in my lifetime.....and I"m 55.

So I guess its just a matter of perspective. When you've been eating nothing but Hamburger Helper your entire life, a nice flank steak is a step up. When you're used to eating prime filet mignon, flank steak is a tougher adjustment. That's what I meant by my "spoiled" comment. I didn't mean any offense.

I"m also a life long Bruins fan, and I can tell you this.....If the B's had 4 cups over the last 20 years, I sure as hell would be cutting the Jacobs family a hell of a lot of slack,.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnyduke

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Yes. Born and raised in WI, so I'm a Brewer fan and always will be. I also root for the Texas Ranges (I used to work for them in college, and my brother still does), as well as San Diego (had a share as a season ticket holder there, as well as the Chargers, when I was in the Navy). Up until this year, I've had ZERO WS wins in my lifetime.....and I"m 55.

So I guess its just a matter of perspective. When you've been eating nothing but Hamburger Helper your entire life, a nice flank steak is a step up. When you're used to eating prime filet mignon, flank steak is a tougher adjustment. That's what I meant by my "spoiled" comment. I didn't mean any offense.

I"m also a life long Bruins fan, and I can tell you this.....If the B's had 4 cups over the last 20 years, I sure as hell would be cutting the Jacobs family a hell of a lot of slack,.
Agree with your last statement about the Bruins. The problem is Henry had a very good team and his robot/puppet GM's destroyed it for nothing.

Better team last year with Betts, Bogarts, Evoldi, etc or what they rolled out. Whatever they do this off season won't make up for those departures either in my opinion..

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

I'm definitely willing to cut slack for simply not winning but when the level of commitment isn't what it used to be and you're making poor management decisions/hires without accommodating fans with any financial relief I think the criticism is totally justified. Overall I will look back on Henry's ownership and conclude they should build a statue of him for what he has done here. But in the moment he needs to "own" the criticism he is getting.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
IMG_2203.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
8m a year for a field manager...that's insane to me. What a gig when 90% of the time you can fall back on doing what the analytics said to do. For a guy who hasn't even won anything. Yes, I know he was with the small market Brewers. But still.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Brian Cashman was on one today. Quite enjoyable seeing a GM going at it with the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad