Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Not trade relevant but the Bruins profile logo changed to a new logo on socials. Perhaps a new jersey for the anniversary season?
1687885454923.png

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Hayes at 50% retained nets a sixth round pick. Perhaps that will help some put the Hall deal into proper perspective. Probably not. Almost definitely not. But maybe there’s a chance.
Well if Ryan Johansen going for absolutely nothing didn't put things into perspective I doubt this does anything. Our GM should have gotten a 1st for Hall!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I think more importantly, many fans truly underestimate the importance of having quality people around to mentor younger players.

I own a 19 year old and I guarantee that if he were given a million+ dollars to do something he's good at (video games for instance...lol), was forced to move to a new city and deal with the pressure of needing to be a great video game player, playing against the best in the world -- he would be up a creek, even if my wife and I moved there with him.

There would be so much that we couldn't help him with once he "went to work" every day and had to function in a realm that we don't understand at the level a Foligno does.

I know to this day Patrice Bergeron credits Martin Lapointe for his guidance and support when he was a rookie.
Oh I 100% agree. I was just commenting on how absurd I think the contract is. But what Chicago did in bringing in two experienced vets is very smart. Including a former #1 OA in Hall who can help Bedard deal with that aspect. Obviously Hall & Foligno will be very helpful in helping him transition to become an NHL pro like nutrition, working out, travel, etc and also things that can trip up a young man easily (money, partying, women, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago had Bedard live with one of them during the season to help him acclimate. Many other young NHLers have done that before. It's good to have mentors.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Are you still waiting for a Mike Reilly buyout?

Great article, but the one thing I wonder is given that they likely know Ullmark is gone after his contract is up...wouldn't it make sense to take the value you can get coming off a Vezina, even if it is below market, rather than waiting a season and risk he devalues himself on a transitioning team? Unless the thought is with cap rising next year that it could open up more options for him on a one year deal by holding him.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Great article, but the one thing I wonder is given that they likely know Ullmark is gone after his contract is up...wouldn't it make sense to take the value you can get coming off a Vezina, even if it is below market, rather than waiting a season and risk he devalues himself on a transitioning team? Unless the thought is with cap rising next year that it could open up more options for him on a one year deal by holding him.
All I can say is that there are numerous possible scenarios and that I trust Sweeney and company are reviewing every possible scenario.

I've talked to a few people on other teams and several agents including a couple of high profile ones who all think if Swayman comes in at a manageable number, Ullmark is not moving. But almost everyone thinks Gryz will be the next one to fall.

I can only tell you what I'm hearing as of today. But as I said, I question Gryz's value because the dollars owed are higher then his cap hit.

That said, you may be right about Ullmark but the question is how much do you let that play into your decision today? Like I wrote, the goalie market is saturated so I don't think you ate going to get full value anyway

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

B's probably don't have the pieces -- but considering LA seems to be looking to seriously contend, I'd love to get Byfield.

Maybe Ullmark + for him ----- Personally, I'd even be willing to give up Swayman+ for a potential 12+ year 1C.

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
All I can say is that there are numerous possible scenarios and that I trust Sweeney and company are reviewing every possible scenario.

I've talked to a few people on other teams and several agents including a couple of high profile ones who all think if Swayman comes in at a manageable number, Ullmark is not moving. But almost everyone thinks Gryz will be the next one to fall.

I can only tell you what I'm hearing as of today. But as I said, I question Gryz's value because the dollars owed are higher then his cap hit.

That said, you may be right about Ullmark but the question is how much do you let that play into your decision today? Like I wrote, the goalie market is saturated so I don't think you ate going to get full value anyway
Questions:
Do you think the players returned from Hall have an NHL future? While I understand the move, getting zero draft picks for a team that threw them all out for rentals, recouping even midpicks would have been helpful. If these players actually are better than stalled AHLers, then great, but my (lack) of knowledge and what I've read seem to be tweeners at the moment.

Gryz, do we actually get value or we just moving him to make cap space. What we did with Hall makes me less convinced we would get much.

I know you say you trust Sweeney and co., but while cap space is important, last time Sweeney had space, I'll just say I wasn't impressed with what he did with it, to say the least.

Reactions: Gordoff

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

At 15:50, Friedman says the Bruins' top priority is getting Bertuzzi done. They apparently told Bertuzzi that they want to get a deal done but they have to wait. Friedman says he doesn't think Bertuzzi knew that Hall was why he had to wait. He also says that the Bruins want to keep Hathaway. The Bruins have been receiving calls on their goalies, but he's not sure whether they move on from either. He heard Gryz connected to Chicago.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
DS trade chips imo Gryz and Linus either seperate or Combo to get Draft picks.
Very curious what 37 and 46 told Don about Next season? Not expecting any big FA coming here

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
who needs a 24 year old top line center anyway

We certainly need a top line Center, but would would cost most of our tradeable assets, and then some to acquire. then you need to extend him for 8 years, with no doubt lost of trade restrictions for much of that.

You better be absolutely sure he is the guy you want to build your franchise around for the next decade.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Questions:
Do you think the players returned from Hall have an NHL future? While I understand the move, getting zero draft picks for a team that threw them all out for rentals, recouping even midpicks would have been helpful. If these players actually are better than stalled AHLers, then great, but my (lack) of knowledge and what I've read seem to be tweeners at the moment.

Gryz, do we actually get value or we just moving him to make cap space. What we did with Hall makes me less convinced we would get much.

I know you say you trust Sweeney and co., but while cap space is important, last time Sweeney had space, I'll just say I wasn't impressed with what he did with it, to say the least.

Let me apologize in advance for the long winded response. I will try and keep it short.

1) I think Walsh has the best chance at an NHL future. Regula I'm not completely sold on but I haven't written him off just yet. Mitchell is the least likeliest of the three IMO. But you have to remember, outside of Boston they had one right shot d-man under contract with zero pro experience and Sweeney has two rosters to fill, Boston and Providence.

As for recouping picks, I have to breakdown how trades work. Don Sweeney does not call every GM himself. In fact, most deals are initiated between the AGM's and Director of Player Personnel before the GM's get involved. Most teams, including the Bruins designate people in the organization to be responsible for initiating conversations with specific teams. For example: Evan Gold may be responsible for the Atlantic division, Scott Bradley for the Pacific and so on. So they've had the conversations and as you know, some teams would not be able to make it work because of the cap, or needed the Bruins to take back salary and they couldn't... a bunch of different reasons, but they had the discussions. No one was offering what the fans wanted. Again, it's the cost of doing business. Does it suck? Probably, but everyone operates under the same rules.

2) Gryz's value. I've maintained my stance that the Bruins could get a second round pick for Gryz going back to the last trade deadline. Does it still hold true? I'm told yes. But I raised the question because it does hold some merit in past negotiations/trades around the league: Gryz's actual money owed is $4.2 million with only a $3.6 million cap hit. Yes, it may be peanuts, but history has shown that when a player's actual money owed is higher then his cap hit, it de-values him on the trade market. So, to answer your question I'm not sure how much an opposing GM is going to look at that.

Finally, I apologize if I said to trust Sweeney. I never want to force my opinion on anyone. Everyone here needs to make up their own minds. All I know is he is an NHL GM and I am not and only time will tell if he makes the right move or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad