2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You guys should not sleep on Michkov. I don't care about if he's coming to North America at the age of 23 years old. This kid is the most dangerous player of the draft along with Connor Bedard. For now, until somebody else shows otherwise. If the draft was today and we had the 2nd overall pick, you pick the best player available and that's Michkov.

And he shows up to play every night. He thrives under big games. He's as clutch as Bedard. Might be even more physical too.

I love Michkov, but he's a Russian, who plays in KHL. It's a huge factor. He's DND for me unless situation changes. There's too many other high end prospects that don't require political intrigue to play in North America.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I love Michkov, but he's a Russian, who plays in KHL. It's a huge factor. He's DND for me unless situation changes. There's too many other high end prospects that don't require political intrigue to play in North America.
If we pass up on him and the day he comes to the NHL, the other top prospect that we pick over him better be good. So far, the 3 players I think are the best of the class are:

1. Connor Bedard
2. Matvei Michkov
3. Dalibor Dvorsky

Man, so much will change by next year lol

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
It's a good year to finish with a top-5 pick. The future is looking bright for Montreal, all things considered.
Somebody has to be a lunatic dreamer to believe the Habs will still be part of the lottery pick in 22-23...
specially after reports that Price will be back.
Now I would definitely look at guys like Josh Roy and Riley Kidney for the top-6 prior to dreaming about Connor Bedard......simply because they are part of the reality and will develop as top-6.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Somebody has to be a lunatic dreamer to believe the Habs will still be part of the lottery pick in 22-23...
Now I would definitely look at guys like Josh Roy and Riley Kidney for the top-6 prior to dreaming about Connor Bedard......simply because they are part of the reality and will develop as top-6.
If the team is not bottom 10 next year I'd be surprised, but that would mean either the underachieving vets are playing better or the young guys are well exceeding expectations. Either way not a bad outcome.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
If the team is not bottom 10 next year I'd be surprised, but that would mean either the underachieving vets are playing better or the young guys are well exceeding expectations. Either way not a bad outcome.
Exactly and probable also.

It will be a mix of veterans keeping their jobs by proving themselves and some rookies overachieving.....new blood always ends up kicking asses.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We can overachieve and still finish bottom 10 easily. I expect things to level off so there isn't such a disparity with so many 110+ teams at the top of the NHL and sub-70 point teams at the bottom.

Even if we improve by 15 and get 70 points (something like 30-42-10) that could put us in the bottom 4-5 and in a good position. This past season 70 points would only put you 7th pre-lottery but that was very unusual.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
We can overachieve and still finish bottom 10 easily. I expect things to level off so there isn't such a disparity with so many 110+ teams at the top of the NHL and sub-70 point teams at the bottom.

Even if we improve by 15 and get 70 points (something like 30-42-10) that could put us in the bottom 4-5 and in a good position. This past season 70 points would only put you 7th pre-lottery but that was very unusual.
Better question is, are the teams that finished around the Habs better or worse off and by how much. Besides Arizona and Chicago who will be battling for Bedard, I can see every other bottom feeder team getting better.

If Habs trade Petry, send their prospects to marinate in the AHL which I would do as better to develop a year on a great team than a bad one, and have another offloading trade deadline, not to mention the uncertainty on the backend, I expect the Habs to finish bottom 5.

Like I said, I can see Philly getting better and signing bad deals in FA yet again, Seattle getting better specially if they bring up both beniers and wright, the devils getting better who might bring up Hughes and nemec on the backend and take a swing at goalie FA, Columbus if they bring up Kent Johnson and have another year of Sillinger and co, Ottawa with debrincat and maybe some FA moves, Detroit will probably get better as their young players might take the next step, Anaheim, etc.

Point is while Habs might see gains in certain departments like Suzuki and Caufield development or actually having a competent coach, they're the main team besides Arizona and Chicago that I can actually see regressing while not being as bad as last year due to no Ducharme in the first half

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

If things go absolutely right for every single player on this team (more specifically Price) then yes we may finish middle of the standings, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bottom-10 finish is very likely and with the lottery, we have a shot to win a better draft pick

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Who’s going to score goals? Who’s going to play defense (lol)? And who in our division will finish below us?

Last edited:
Reactions: atrud66

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Even with the MSL touch our ability to win began to tail off last part of the season.

Lehks is a big loss as he was a big part in our defensive play.

Price ? Who knows, but not promising.

Still a good chance Petry goes and he and Romanov are replace with defensive D vets on short contracts. So the D is worse.

Adsthe TDL approaches hopefully there is a pick up in play and guys like Drouin, Byron etc are moved.

So we should fall off after the TDL and be solidly in a bottom 10 spot.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Its gonna be a real challenge to top Chicago and Arizona as the worst team. Things in the Habs favour include being in the tougher conference and division than both teams. Picking up Fantilli, Dvorsky, Carlsson, etc would be massive for this franchise.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
You actually think that Hughes and Gorton are willing to spend another year at the bottom of the standings? They want to accelerate the rebuild, I don't see how finish last again will speed up the rebuild.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You actually think that Hughes and Gorton are willing to spend another year at the bottom of the standings? They want to accelerate the rebuild, I don't see how finish last again will speed up the rebuild.

This team sucks, and I think Kent is a lot smarter than the average Montrealer who apparently wants to pull a 2009 offseason Gainey to make another cindarella run.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Finishing last would accelerate it faster than anything else they could do. If we somehow get Bedard, boom rebuild complete. Some of the other top centers would be pretty close to that as well. Another top 10 pick is a must, and this is the draft to do get it because of how badly we need an elite C.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

no Price, tight cap space, bad contracts and players, shit blueline. Hughes and Gorton can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see see which one fills up first but this team should be a bottom 5 team in the league unless somehow Price can play 40-50 games.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
no Price, tight cap space, bad contracts and players, shit blueline. Hughes and Gorton can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see see which one fills up first but this team should be a bottom 5 team in the league unless somehow Price can play 40-50 games.

Let's hope Price doesn't come back, we need Montembeault to play 60 games. If we trade Petry, Hoffman we will have better chances at finishing last again. But then again we will have Arizona and Chicago in our rearview mirror.

Finishing last would accelerate it faster than anything else they could do. If we somehow get Bedard, boom rebuild complete. Some of the other top centers would be pretty close to that as well. Another top 10 pick is a must, and this is the draft to do get it because of how badly we need an elite C.

We finished last the wrong year, it would have made more sense to finish last next season.

Reactions: montreal

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Let's hope Price doesn't come back, we need Montembeault to play 60 games. If we trade Petry, Hoffman we will have better chances at finishing last again. But then again we will have Arizona and Chicago in our rearview mirror.

We finished last the wrong year, it would have made more sense to finish last next season.
Why not both?

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Why not both?

Both for which? Montreal was already eliminated since November

Better question is, are the teams that finished around the Habs better or worse off and by how much. Besides Arizona and Chicago who will be battling for Bedard, I can see every other bottom feeder team getting better.

If Habs trade Petry, send their prospects to marinate in the AHL which I would do as better to develop a year on a great team than a bad one, and have another offloading trade deadline, not to mention the uncertainty on the backend, I expect the Habs to finish bottom 5.

Like I said, I can see Philly getting better and signing bad deals in FA yet again, Seattle getting better specially if they bring up both beniers and wright, the devils getting better who might bring up Hughes and nemec on the backend and take a swing at goalie FA, Columbus if they bring up Kent Johnson and have another year of Sillinger and co, Ottawa with debrincat and maybe some FA moves, Detroit will probably get better as their young players might take the next step, Anaheim, etc.

Point is while Habs might see gains in certain departments like Suzuki and Caufield development or actually having a competent coach, they're the main team besides Arizona and Chicago that I can actually see regressing while not being as bad as last year due to no Ducharme in the first half

Also don't rule out Seattle, they will indeed suck too next season.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad