2023 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Leroux was the first to tweet about Slaf to Habs couple hours before the first round.

As for draft habs related news, i believe him.
Yeah i think he's connected too, but to be fair, he only leaked it at 7:07pm, 18 mins before it was officially announced

But there is a sense that indeed there started to be leaks earlier in the day, starting with Emily Kaplan

What a day that was!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I’d rather Benson than Dvorsky but who knows, if they don’t rush Dvorsky he would be the most impressive C prospect we’d have had in our development system in a long time.

Everything I’ve seen and read about Benson tells me he will impress in the NHL

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Imagine a rebuilding team with two top ten picks including a 1st OV comes away with Slafkovsky and Dvorsky as it's haul. Kill me.

Mcdavid and Draisaitl
Matthews and Marner
Stutzle and Sanderson
Dahlin and Power
Hughes, Hischier and Nemec

Habs: Slafkovsky and Dvorsky

Lmao, thats such a Habs thing.

(To be fair I do think Caufield compares to some forwards there and Guhle at least compares to Sanderson and Nemec but lol.)

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
This is gonna come down to Michkov vs Dvorsky, isn’t it?
Come Monday night, we will have a better idea about the actual position we are going to draft at...it will enable us to narrow our focus about who are going to pick.
Picking 1st...would be easy...we could focus on our other two top forty picks (17 or 29 + 37).

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Mcdavid and Draisaitl
Matthews and Marner
Stutzle and Sanderson
Dahlin and Power

(To be fair I do think Caufield compares to some forwards there and Guhle at least compares to Sanderson and Nemec but lol.)
CC does not compare to any of those forwards. Guhle and Sanderson may be similar.

Reactions: Vachon23

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
Mcdavid and Draisaitl
Matthews and Marner
Stutzle and Sanderson
Dahlin and Power

Speaking of Hugues, he had 7 goals and 14 assists in his 18 yo nhl season. Slaf might be the next Wickenheiser, or the next Hugues/Thornton/Rantanen/Draisatl. Too soon to tell.

As for Dvorksy, he’s 17. Who knows. Not a fan of him at 7, but teams in 10-12 range might have a good deal here.

Reactions: Doublechin

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
By the time I have the players list ready, here's something I don't usually do: A goatender ranking!.

HM: Millic, Suchanek, Dybal and Ratzlaff.

1) Michael Hrabal (G, Czechia, Omaha USHL)
2) Jacob Fowler (G, USA, Youngstown USHL)
3) Carson Bjarnason (G, Canada, Brandon WHL)
4) Damian Clara (G, Italy, Farjestad BK J20)
5) Adam Gajan (G, Slovakia, Green Bay USHL, overager)
6) Noah Erliden (G, Sweden, HV71 J20)
7) Yegor Egorov (G, Russia, MHK Dynamo MHL)
8) Trey Augustine (G, USA, USDP, USHL)
9) Yegor Zavragin (G, Russia, Mamonty Yugry MHL)
10) Alexander Hellnemo (G, Sweden, Skeleftea, J20)

Reactions: Fenris

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Imagine a rebuilding team with two top ten picks including a 1st OV comes away with Slafkovsky and Dvorsky as it's haul. Kill me.
I would sincerely prefer to have Wright and Leonard!

Cooley and Benson would be sick too! Caufield - Cooley - Benson give me chills!

Last edited by a moderator:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What are your thoughts on Dvorsky?
He does everything well and is a legitimate scorer.

He has really good edge work and is an overall good skater despite what many on here will argue but imo they are confusing pace with speed. He has great hands, is potentially elite shooter and has a high hockey IQ, unfortunately he is rarely paired with strong linemates so there is little time and space for him to operate. He is a cerebral player who looks for seams and tries to get lost in coverage when he is off puck. Racing up the ice is not in his DNA as it isn't for players like Kucherov, Pastrnak, Marner etc. who are all good skaters and better than most think but they play at a pace that doesn't necessarily demonstrate it. I am not saying that he is going to produce like these players but nobody thought they would produce like they have either.

I believe that he would dominate in the CHL and he would be much more of a consensus top 5/6 in the draft on these boards. Most of the narratives on this board are driven by fake scouting sites who all make the same amateur errors in evaluation which is mistaken for consensus. I think his upside is a center version of Pastrnak and his floor is likely a 2nd/3rd line center. Given his combination of size, skill, IQ and a complete 200 foot game it is difficult to pinpoint any fatal flaws that may be lurking. This is not to say that others that I ranked below him can't be better or that he can't bust but I just have a hard time making a case for many players in this draft to be taken before him.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah f*** off.

I would sincerely prefer to have Wright and Leonard!

Cooley and Benson would be sick too! Caufield - Cooley - Benson give me chills!

I can't name a single thing that Benson is definitively better at than Dvorsky....maybe Benson turns out to be better but I am not betting on it. If Dvorsky played in the CHL and lit it up I doubt that you would be some adamant about Benson being superior.

Benson hasn't demonstrated an ability toscore from distance and skates very similar to Gallagher. A small player who needs to gain access to the most contested area of the ice to score is not a winning recipe for goals. I love Benson's IQ and work ethic but I am not convinced that he is much better than Brindley if at all and Brindley may not even go in the first round.

There is nothing wrong with being in Benson's corner and there is a lot to like about him but the hyperbolic takes for him and against Dvorsky are hard to take seriously tbh

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
That would be absolutely fantastic, a top line PF with 80-90 pts potential + a strong top 6 puck possession center with 70-80 pts potential, Im sold. :thumbu:

Dvorsky is everything fans hoped Wright would be, cant go wrong here.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I can't name a single thing that Benson is definitively better at than Dvorsky....maybe Benson turns out to be better but I am not betting on it. If Dvorsky played in the CHL and lit it up I doubt that you would be some adamant about Benson being superior.

Benson hasn't demonstrated an ability toscore from distance and skates very similar to Gallagher. A small player who needs to gain access to the most contested area of the ice to score is not a winning recipe for goals. I love Benson's IQ and work ethic but I am not convinced that he is much better than Brindley if at all and Brindley may not even go in the first round.

There is nothing wrong with being in Benson's corner and there is a lot to like about him but the hyperbolic takes for him and against Dvorsky are hard to take seriously tbh
I 100% agree with you. I am also very high on Dvorsky. In fact, i have him 5th and i would gladly pick him ahead of Michkov, and well ahead of Benson.

I was sarcastically answering the other poster who said how lame it was to have two top ten pick and one is a 1st ov and then end up with Slafkovsky and Dvorsky. I wanted to highlights other possible package to give some other perspective to such take.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Leroux was the first to tweet about Slaf to Habs couple hours before the first round.

As for draft habs related news, i believe him.

It was a common debate all over the hockey world by the time the draft rolled around........does that mean a large proportion of HFBoards posters are also insiders lol?

The Montreal Canadiens do not leak this stuff to the media, it is just typical mob generated noise that has been happening for thousands of years.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I 100% agree with you. I am also very high on Dvorsky. In fact, i have him 5th and i would gladly pick him ahead of Michkov, and well ahead of Benson.

I was sarcastically answering the other poster who said how lame it was to have two top ten pick and one is a 1st ov and then end up with Slafkovsky and Dvorsky. I wanted to highlights other possible package to give some other perspective to such take.
My bad, perhaps I should have read further back into the thread

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Carlsson has enough question marks in his game that some team could overthink it and give him to us. Shut up, stop typing, take your fingers off the keyboard, and step away from the computer and let me live my dream.
Bob McKenzie released his top 12, he has Smith ahead of Carlsson. I hope we don't end up with Carlsson. Bobby Mac had Dvorsky and Leonard at 5 and 6. We get one of those my preference

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Is Dvorsky a better skater than KK was when he got drafted? All I want to know. Well and, what are Dvorsky biggest weaknesses?
He is a much better skater than KK. Far superior edge work and balance along with a superior first 3-5 steps. There is nothing technically wrong with Dvorsky's skating he just chooses not to race up and down the ice just like Pastrnak and Kucherov choose not to as well.

I don't know that he has an actual weakness. Perhaps that he didn't score a ton in a men's league as an 18 year old or that his highlight real isn't as fire as other kids who are lighting up fellow teenagers?

It is important to understand that development isn't linear and some plateau earlier than others. Like almost any kid in an NHL draft if he doesn't get better he can't play so technically they all have weaknesses relative to where they will need to be. This Is what makes scouting so difficult and the interview/ background/profile that casual armchairs scouts have zero access to is such an important factor in ranking prospects. As fans all we can do is try and assign a typical development curve to these prospects and that is where Dvorsky gets lost in the public discussion. The average fan doesn't see enough dynamic plays and is oblivious to the fact that the underlying foundation for a star is right there in front of them.

We can't be sure what his development will look like but there is enough of a foundation in Dvorsky that he could become a huge star just as easily as he could become a 40 -60 point 2nd/3rd line center. There are others often mentioned in the top 10 like Benson and Leonard where I just don't see them having the same ceiling as Dvorsky even though they very well may end up out producing him.

Imo when selecting this high in a strong draft you take a player who has the potential to be truly special and don't settle for complimentary players. I think Benson needs others to put the puck in for him and Leonard needs others to drive the play. Dvorsky can do both and those are the type of players that you target with high picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad