2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
There's been a few articles over the past couple days regarding a trade with Chicago. It could be a possibiliy
I hope that HuGo hang up the phone or change the conversation into trading away floridas 1st rounder this year for korchinski, or nazar since chicago has a recent history of trading top picked prospects for draft picks.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I think my top 8 is pretty set assuming Reinbacher doesn’t destroy the WCs. The reason I’m doing a top 8 is just for the off chance we don’t have Michkov on our board at all.

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Carlsson
4. Smith/Dvorsky
5. Dvorsky/Smith
6. Michkov (2nd if there’s no Russian factor)
7. Leonard/Benson
8. Benson/Leonard

There might be some flip flopping between Smith and Dvorsky as well as between Leonard and Benson but those are the best 8 guys in the draft IMO.

Its pretty much what Stephane Leroux thinks, apparently having informations that the Habs would skip Michkov if available at their ranking

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
What does everyone think the Habs draft list looks like as of today?(Not who you'd want to take)

If I had to guess I'd say:
1.Bedard
2.Fantilli
3.Carlsson
4.Smith
5.Dvorsky
6.Reinbacher
7.Michkov
8.Leonard
9.Benson
10.Sale

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jesus....there is no smoke.

Internet rumours made by fans and clickbait writers is not smoke, it is steam rising from fresh bull****
lol @ calling Leroux a clickbait writer.

Leroux is 100% connected to the organization. He announced Slafkovskys selection a good 30 minutes before.
Not just Slaf. He knows all the picks before everyone else outside the org. Usually he waits longer before leaking informations though, which is probably part of the agreement.

You can tell he's not that comfortable to inform people that the Habs won't pick Michkov. In a "am I allowed to say it or not?" kind of way.

Started with a few "I could be wrong but..." before admitting that it comes from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Leroux was the first to tweet about Slaf to Habs couple hours before the first round.

As for draft habs related news, i believe him.

Reactions: Balthazar

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If we drop to 7 I would be very happy with Wood or Perreault even though many don't have them that high. If Leonard was bigger I would be more bullish on him but I think he is more likely to be a smaller Zach Hyman than a play driving winger that you can build around. Wood is one of the worst skaters in the entire draft but If he can make significant improvement which I think he can, his upside is a 1st line play driving stud....a cross between Tage Thompson and Mark Stone. Perreault's only real weakness was his skating and to a lesser degree his size but his skating is already improving and his IQ is ridiculous. I think he has Giroux level offensive upside albeit on the wing.

We need to take shots at potential game changers and if Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith and Dvorsky are gone then it is between Wood and Perreault for me.

No matter who we take, it will be a very good prospect but I am all for swinging for the fences.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
lol @ calling Leroux a clickbait writer.

Not just Slaf. He knows all the picks before everyone else outside the org. Usually he waits longer before leaking informations though, which is probably part of the agreement.

You can tell he's not that comfortable to inform people that the Habs won't pick Michkov. In a "am I allowed to say it or not?" kind of way.

Started with a few "I could be wrong but..." before admitting that it comes from the horse's mouth.
I think he says that more because he has the sense that "no michkov" is the current status, but that it could change.

Teams haven't necessarily been able to speak to him and his agent as much as they wished to yet. I would imagine that they haven't finished doing their due diligence yet, but that for now it looks rather bleak.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I think he says that more because he has the sense that "no michkov" is the current status, but that it could change.

Teams haven't necessarily been able to speak to him and his agent as much as they wished to yet. I would imagine that they haven't finished doing their due diligence yet, but that for now it looks rather bleak.
What’s strange is everyone knows it’s a big risk to skip on Michkov and get everyone is seemingly okay with knowing their club will skip Michkov.

Imagine willingly skipping on a player that could be as good as Kaprizov/Panarin. I don’t get it.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
No he is not.

No journalist has even the slightest connection to the inner workings of the Montreal Canadiens....nobody does other than the people on the inside and they would not divulge anything to any journalist unless they agreed to strategically do so.
Leroux called the Mailloux pick live, he clearly gets some infos inside the org. he leaks it smartly in due time.

Last edited:

ginomini

May 25, 2014
If we drop to 7 I would be very happy with Wood or Perreault even though many don't have them that high. If Leonard was bigger I would be more bullish on him but I think he is more likely to be a smaller Zach Hyman than a play driving winger that you can build around. Wood is one of the worst skaters in the entire draft but If he can make significant improvement which I think he can, his upside is a 1st line play driving stud....a cross between Tage Thompson and Mark Stone. Perreault's only real weakness was his skating and to a lesser degree his size but his skating is already improving and his IQ is ridiculous. I think he has Giroux level offensive upside albeit on the wing.

We need to take shots at potential game changers and if Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith and Dvorsky are gone then it is between Wood and Perreault for me.

No matter who we take, it will be a very good prospect but I am all for swinging for the fences.
I agree that at 7 I would really like one of the three complementary (ish) wingers in Leonard, Wood and Perreault. Wood is more of a play driver but to me Perreault and Leonard project as the type of guy who will always make any line they play on better. That's very valuable, its like giving your depth an instant +1 everywhere.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What’s strange is everyone knows it’s a big risk to skip on Michkov and get everyone is seemingly okay with knowing their club will skip Michkov.

Imagine willingly skipping on a player that could be as good as Kaprizov/Panarin. I don’t get it.

Average Matvei Michkov fan vs average Matthew Wood enjoyer

• Haha
Reactions: ginomini

ginomini

May 25, 2014

I mean, I don't think most are "okay" with it. It's just that its pointless to be frustrated since itll probably happen and there's nothing to do about it.

Plus, this year, we can get excited for so many other players, that's its easy to turn our attention elsewhere.

Reactions: ReHabs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I love that MacKenzie's panel has Perreault, Wood and Barlow in the top 12, these guys have NHL written all over them. All three can really shoot the puck and project as potential impact players. I love Perreault's and Wood's IQ and expect them to improve their skating (Perreault has already shown improvement). Barlow gets some weird hate on here, reminds me a little of the strange Brady Tkachuk hate but I think he is going to be good as has good instincts, a great shot and the drive/leadership/tenacity/physicality to make a real difference in big games.

I am not saying they will all be better than Benson but I like all 3 of them in a Habs jersey more than I like Benson.

Now I fully expect Benson to make me look foolish lol....bookmark this one haters as it might be gold!
I really do just quick and dirty looks if a guy ‘pops’ or not. That doesn’t always work but with high picks a kid should pop. Benson just doesn’t pop for me. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a good player or even be a star. I just don’t see it.

It’s still a big crap shoot even with all the info and resources and required scouting acumen. Some kids could just lose interest to really push himself or just cap out ceiling wise early and how could anyone know.

Of course that doesn’t mean it’s all a COMPLETE toss up of course but enough of it is where it’s just too hard to be absolute in all this.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I really do just quick and dirty looks if a guy ‘pops’ or not. That doesn’t always work but with high picks a kid should pop. Benson just doesn’t pop for me. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a good player or even be a star. I just don’t see it.

It’s still a big crap shoot even with all the info and resources and required scouting acumen. Some kids could just lose interest to really push himself or just cap out ceiling wise early and how could anyone know.

Of course that doesn’t mean it’s all a COMPLETE toss up of course but enough of it is where it’s just too hard to be absolute in all this.
This was one of the most “pop” goals of the year. Really highlights Bensons compete, edge work, hands and ability to finish around the net.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
if we’re shooting for pure offensive upside at 5-7, I’m fine with either Wood or Benson but could be sold on Leonard or Yager as well.

Reactions: SlafySZN and ReHabs

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I get the arguments for Wood- great production in the NCAA, huge, high skill level…

But dude is molasses out there and quite raw all around. To me he’s not an option with our pick but could be a steal in the teens.

Reactions: Nevins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad