2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watching the NJ vs NYR game 7 the thing that stood out to me was how the speed of NJ was critical despite having less talented forwards. I could see Hugo leaning Leonard if Smith/Mitchkov aren’t an option
Less talented forwards? Is Hughes a joke to you? Hischier, Bratt, Mercer, Meier, Sharangovich...?
We drafting Damian Clara or what?
Anybody know where this goalie is expected to go? 2nd, 3rd? 4th round?
We should. 3rd round is open country for me.
C'est aussi simple que ça !
Si c'est sérieux, t'es un vrai mayais.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Watching the NJ vs NYR game 7 the thing that stood out to me was how the speed of NJ was critical despite having less talented forwards. I could see Hugo leaning Leonard if Smith/Mitchkov aren’t an option

Yeah, Leonard has to be high on their list. We did not pick a poor skater last draft. Don't see them picking one this year. HuGo both want to go speed model.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Actual Draft vs Bob McKenzie Final Rankings:

1 Dahlin 1
2 Svechnikov 2
3 Kotkaniemi 5
4 Tkachuk 3
5 Hayton 10

1 Hughes 1
2 Kakko 2
3 Dach 5
4 Byram 3
5 Turcotte 4

1 Laffy 1
2 Byfield 3
3 Stutzle 2
4 Raymond 6
5 Sanderson 8

1 Power 1
2 Benier 2
3 Mctavish 4
4 Hughes 8
5 Johnson 9

1 Slaf 1
2 Nemec 4
3 Cooley 3
4 Knight 2
5 Gauthier 5

Looks like one of the top 4 almost always drops to at least 5th.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We drafting Damian Clara or what?
Anybody know where this goalie is expected to go? 2nd, 3rd? 4th round?

This is actually quite a deep draft for goalies. I can't recall the last draft that had so many goalie prospects in it. I actually expect a record number of goaltenders to be taken.

It's a really weak D year though.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
In what order do you rank Carlsson, Smith, Fantilli and Benson as the highest ceiling after Bedard/Michkov?

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Habs fans want to draft size, then complain about Slaf.
Habs fans don't want to draft small, but love Caufield.
I really like Benson, but Hugo want a bigger lineup up front.
Personally, I would be comfortable taking Benson after Smith.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Habs fans want to draft size, then complain about Slaf.
Habs fans don't want to draft small, but love Caufield.
Player with Size and having success in the NHL are generally tougher to project on their draft year. This is why Im not disappinted so far by Slaf. The only thing we know is he is not an elite player but could become a futur efficient top 6

Reactions: phillytennis

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
You can just see the athletic profile is certainly unique and what I particularly found encouraging was how he is able to, already at 18, take pucks off the wall, protect the puck and put the puck into places for his linemates to get a scoring chance.

I think his playmaking is underrated and will come around when he gets used to pace of the league and stops with the hope plays that most young players learn to eliminate from their repertoire.

His hands are really good for a big guy and even at 18 with games without points, he was testing the limits and trying defenseman to see what he could get away with and what will work.

We know he has a good shot and needs to shoot more. The overall package is super intriguing and while he may never be an elite level processor, what he will be able to bring to the skilled players we do have will make the lines better.
Just a passing thought, but I like the thought of Dach, Slaf and…Wood employed in whatever combos over two PP units.

I haven’t given up on the idea HuGo will acquire that 3rd 1st rounder.

I think he wants to get a draft jolt in ‘23 and start moving upwards in ‘24.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Just a passing thought, but I like the thought of Dach, Slaf and…Wood employed in whatever combos over two PP units.

I haven’t given up on the idea HuGo will acquire that 3rd 1st rounder.

I think he wants to get a draft jolt in ‘23 and start moving upwards in ‘24.
Anderson is only chance for another 1st.
Dubois is the counter and likely includes a 1st.

Will we actually only end with 1 x 1st?

Stay tuned.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Anderson is only chance for another 1st.
Dubois is the counter and likely includes a 1st.

Will we actually only end with 1 x 1st?

Stay tuned.
Dubois may cost a 1st but I think the Habs are willing to wait and even just buy his rights pre 2024 FA for cheap. I'd rather Habs trade two 2nds than give up a floridas 1st (presuming it's 17) or even Calgary's protected 2024 1st

Reactions: First Line

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
If Michkov really wants to play in the NHL...he should defect and bring his family.
Shades of Svoboda? Not sure if him breaking his contract over there is allowed in the NHL- KHL agreement? It certainly would be tempting to bring them over for the draft and have them stay. :nod:

He is definitely exceptional talent. The only concern I have, is he really a kid who will win you Stanley cup? Or is he Panarin/Kaprizov type of player who can come close to 100 points, but he will not lead you in playoffs?
Both those guys are highly tradable commodities. If it doesn't work trade him for karakter.

Saxon

The Sheriff
Mar 9, 2015
Shades of Svoboda? Not sure if him breaking his contract over there is allowed in the NHL- KHL agreement? It certainly would be tempting to bring them over for the draft and have them stay. :nod:

Both those guys are highly tradable commodities. If it doesn't work trade him for karakter.
That agreement is no more.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Stutzle is 6ft on hockeydb. This is not what a consider a small player
Turcotte measurements at the combine: 5'11.25, 186.

Stützle current measurements (no combine in 2020): 6'0 190.

So a height difference of an American penny and a weight difference of 5 cans of soup are enough to distinguish between "small" and "not small"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad