2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Why?

I just worry about drafting for size or need.

I have no problem with drafting big players that are good. I just want good players, regardless of position or size.
Size is also an attribute you need to consider. If you project Benson as top first line forward, and there is no first forward in the NHL at 5 ft 8. You need to consider it. I won’t bet against a guy like Benson when the roof is pretty high, but I will also consider a guy like Barlow at 6ft1 who made 46 goals in 59 games in the OHL. Size will matter in that case

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
"You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave."

Fedotov is definitely get the full treatment.
Getting caught breaking military laws during wartime seems to be a big no-no. I’m glad he isn’t imprisoned. If it were Israel I’m not sure he would get away with getting to play pro hockey in just one place.

Hmm, did anyone explain how/why Michkov's dad was killed?

Circumstantial situations, perhaps, but surface level causes speculation that there are intimidation tactics at work here.
Who says his father was killed?

At what point do you take a breath and reflect on the things you’re saying? How would you feel if thousands of pimply foreigners were baselessly speculating, and implying heinous things, on an immense and personal family tragedy?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Size is also an attribute you need to consider. If you project Benson as top first line forward, and there is no first forward in the NHL at 5 ft 8. You need to consider it. I won’t bet against a guy like Benson when the roof is pretty high, but I will also consider a guy like Barlow at 6ft1 who made 46 goals in 59 games in the OHL. Size will matter in that case

What I don't like is: we need to get bigger. That's drafting based on need.

And the problem with that is: let's say you have the big player, taking into account his size factor, rated 9. And then you have small player rated a 10, again even taking into account their size. But then you select the bigger player.

It's hard enough to find elite players and truly effective NHLers (i.e. not Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi). So just take the best player available. If it's a big player like Brady Tkachuk who's a winger when we need centers, take Brady Tkachuk. If it's a small player like Braden Point when we need to get bigger and Brett Lernout is still on the board, take freakin Braden Point!

And if our scouts can't come up with a rating of who are 9's and who are 10's, then we need new scouts.

P.S. one of the reasons it would be great to get Dubois, is because he would give us another big body in the top 6. And then we have to worry less about drafting for need affecting our picking the best player available. Dubois, Dach, and hopefully Slaf could make a big difference.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
What I don't like is: we need to get bigger. That's drafting based on need.

And the problem with that is: let's say you have the big player, taking into account his size factor, rated 9. And then you have small player rated a 10, again even taking into account their size. But then you select the bigger player.

It's hard enough to find elite players and truly effective NHLers (i.e. not Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi). So just take the best player available. If it's a big player like Brady Tkachuk who's a winger when we need centers, take Brady Tkachuk. If it's a small player like Braden Point when we need to get bigger and Brett Lernout is still on the board, take freakin Braden Point!

And if our scouts can't come up with a rating of who are 9's and who are 10's, then we need new scouts.
I don’t think it’s working like that. Perosnnally I think benson will drop a bit cause of his size. But he will remain to be on top 10, because he has higher potential than biggers guys like Dvorsky, Leonard and cie…this is my perception. But Honestly, Im pretty sure that some management won’t touching guys under 6 ft. Washington, Winnipeg don’t dress small guys, so pretty sure there is some teams thats size is over valuing

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t think it’s working like that. Perosnnally I think benson will drop a bit cause of his size. But he will remain to be on top 10, because he has higher potential than biggers guys like Dvorsky, Leonard and cie…this is my perception. But Honestly, Im pretty sure that some management won’t touching guys under 6 ft. Washington, Winnipeg don’t dress small guys, so pretty sure there is some teams thats size is over valuing

I don't know enough about Benson. But yeah, you have to be a damn good player if you're 5'8. Though Benson I've only seen listed as either 5'9 or 5'10.

Reactions: Hins77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watching the NJ vs NYR game 7 the thing that stood out to me was how the speed of NJ was critical despite having less talented forwards. I could see Hugo leaning Leonard if Smith/Mitchkov aren’t an option

I've said recently speed is the Stephan Matteau. Back in the day big unskilled grinders really elevated their impact on a game whenbthebrefs putbtheir whistles away in the playoffs. Now, guys like Carl Hagelin really started to stand out come playoff time in the bottom six in amped up hockey without the hooking and holding.

I'd we get to the pkayoffs soon, the new Josh Anderson playing with Harvey Pinard should be a beast. Ylonen could also be useful in a bottom six if he can get his confidence up with experience.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Getting caught breaking military laws during wartime seems to be a big no-no. I’m glad he isn’t imprisoned. If it were Israel I’m not sure he would get away with getting to play pro hockey in just one place.
Ahhh men, i've been to Israel. Its a f***ed up place sincerely and there is a strong military culture with a lot of brainwashing against Arabs. Its a beautiful country tho and Israeli citizen can enjoy a lot of freedom (unless they are arabs). This being said, no way an Israel citizen would have the Fedotov treatment(an arab would have worse for much less). Many people there did not go to their military service to protest against Netanyahu and they did not end up in Alaska.

I think the point you are trying to make is that we should not worry because of Fedotov and draft Michkov if available at 5-6-7 but it is sincerely a huge, huge red flag. The risk/reward is not worth it in my opinion if you have players like Smith, Dvorsky or Reinbacher available.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Any scouting staff picking Barlow over Benson should be fired before the pick gets turned in.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
And are you also the guy who knew that Rossi was a no touch and was going to bust?
Marco Rossi is awesome. Not his fault he missed a crucial year of development with a bad injury. But he’s lighting up the AHL and will soon light up the NHL.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Drafting michkov would be a blessing for us.

Who cares about the russian factor. Exceptional talent is exceptional talent.

We haven't seen special players like him and Bedard in the last couple of drafts.

If he falls to us, we should be absolutely stocked. I mean, we should go crazy o_O
Yeah I might cry the kid looks unreal
He is definitely exceptional talent. The only concern I have, is he really a kid who will win you Stanley cup? Or is he Panarin/Kaprizov type of player who can come close to 100 points, but he will not lead you in playoffs?
Let's start by having one ppg player to watch and enjoy hockey since Kovalev , baby steps

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Marco Rossi is awesome. Not his fault he missed a crucial year of development with a bad injury. But he’s lighting up the AHL and will soon light up the NHL.
Alex Turcotte is also a small guy, and he is also taking the path of busting. But you could say he is always injured. Then, my point is size does matter, despite if the guy is elite level like Mitchkov.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
And are you also the guy who knew that Rossi was a no touch and was going to bust?

I was not as high as others on Marco Rossi, no.

We drafting Damian Clara or what?
Anybody know where this goalie is expected to go? 2nd, 3rd? 4th round?

He's expected to go rounds 3-5

He fits our profile for goalies. If we don't get one in top two rounds, I'd expect we'd grt him

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Ahhh men, i've been to Israel. Its a f***ed up place sincerely and there is a strong military culture with a lot of brainwashing against Arabs. Its a beautiful country tho and Israeli citizen can enjoy a lot of freedom (unless they are arabs). This being said, no way an Israel citizen would have the Fedotov treatment(an arab would have worse for much less). Many people there did not go to their military service to protest against Netanyahu and they did not end up in Alaska.

I think the point you are trying to make is that we should not worry because of Fedotov and draft Michkov if available at 5-6-7 but it is sincerely a huge, huge red flag. The risk/reward is not worth it in my opinion if you have players like Smith, Dvorsky or Reinbacher available.
There is a difference between not doing service or refusing active duty and FALSIFYING documents, which is another crime entirely.

It’s very likely he took their equivalent of a plea deal to avoid prison time.

The reward for Michkov is worth the risk, imo. But as discussed earlier, you think the approach to this draft should be like a seasoned stock trader — I think we are so desperate for a home run (PPG forward) we should swing for the fences. If he doesn’t come immediately we still have his rights.

It won’t help us to have a bunch of 60pt forwards. We won’t be able to win a single round without at least one star player. No Price means no chance of stealing a round. We need actual star players and the likes of Dvorsky or Smith can fall so short of that that we might as well try to get the highest possible upside possible.

Unless we get some of the second tier players (Fantilli or Carlsson) who’s likelihood of reaching their potential is high enough to justify the pick even if their ceiling is perhaps lower than Michkov.

Personally, I don’t think we will be in a position to pick Michkov but it would be heartbreaking if the Habs skipped on him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad