Votes: 1 2.6%
  • BPA no matter what position

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just don't fully get the Simashev love.
He's a really good defensive defenseman but people are talking about his offense even though there's absolutely nothing you could base that off.

I wouldn't hate the pick at #20 but I'm not all that high on this years defensive prospects outside of Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellikka and Willander and think you could get a somewhat similar D prospect with our 2nd round pick.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with the "russia factor" cause I don't care much for it.
The best russians always coeme over and Michkov will be at the draft. The Caps where also able to bring over their russian prospect they drafted last season and it seems like _Artem Duda(2nd rounder by the Coyotes last year) will start playing college hockey next season.

So if But would be there at #20 I'd happily take him if I was Francis.
I am not a scout but have been reading projections on Simashev's offensive game. Yeah, I know he is not producing much right now but he has all the tools and the toolbox to do so.

Great Skating speed
Big Size
Elite defender
Very high hockey IQ
Great puck skills and stickhandling

To me it is more of a question of not if but when.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I am not a scout but have been reading projections on Simashev's offensive game. Yeah, I know he is not producing much right now but he has all the tools and the toolbox to do so.

Great Skating speed
Big Size
Elite defender
Very high hockey IQ

I'm just not sure what they're basing that offense off.

I get advanced stats and maybe him not getting enough chances, playing with lesser teammates etc.
Though, in order to project anything you need at least some stats and there's next to nothing on offense.

So I wouldn't hate it at #20 but I'm just not sold.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm just not sure what they're basing that offense off.

I get advanced stats and maybe him not getting enough chances, playing with lesser teammates etc.
Though, in order to project anything you need at least some stats and there's next to nothing on offense.

So I wouldn't hate it at #20 but I'm just not sold.
Fair enough.

I have seen comparisons to Edvinsson with regard to offensive comparisons. Though I really did not dig much into Edvinsson since that year I was just locked into Beniers.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Great Skating speed
Big Size
Elite defender
Very high hockey IQ

He doesn't have a shot right now. He can beat his guy at the blueline and walk in but then has no shot threat.

I'm still in the "if" camp with his offense but I think his D and transition value is so high that he's about a #10 pick even if he can't shoot. If you try and sign a D like that on the open market you're paying $6m+.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For me that would be Willander.
I think Simashev will be available at #20 and I wouldn't want to pay extra to move up for him.

I'm not sure if there's a huge difference between 15 and 20 in this years draft so I'd probably just stay put and take whoever the scouts think is BPA.

Though, I'd like for us to move up in the 2nd round anywhere between 38 - 42, if possible.
BTW ... I know trades are hard but this is a value chart for trades.

Based on this I am thinking the #40 would cost us something like #50 + #57 and we get a 3rd round pick back as well in the early to mid 80s. Or #50 + #57 gets us something like #37 (value wise).

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seems interesting but possible with trading into the top 40.

I had another idea.
As it seems like we want to cut ties with Driedger maybe we trade down a bit?

How about
20, Driedger

for

26(Sharks)

The Sharks aren't playing for anything and could take a chance on Driedger while moving up six spots in the first round.

We could then see who's still available or take a chance on a guy like Bradly Nadeau.

Nadeau played in the BCHL and will play in Maine next season.
He's got a fantastic shot(probably 2nd to only Bedard in this draft class), moves very well to find open space and also has very good stickhandling.

His knock is that he's only 5'10 but to me he sounds a bit like DeBrincat.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seems interesting but possible with trading into the top 40.

I had another idea.
As it seems like we want to cut ties with Driedger maybe we trade down a bit?

How about
20, Driedger

for

26(Sharks)

The Sharks aren't playing for anything and could take a chance on Driedger while moving up six spots in the first round.

We could then see who's still available or take a chance on a guy like Bradly Nadeau.

Nadeau played in the BCHL and will play in Maine next season.
He's got a fantastic shot(probably 2nd to only Bedard in this draft class), moves very well to find open space and also has very good stickhandling.

His knock is that he's only 5'10 but to me he sounds a bit like DeBrincat.

I am not a fan of moving out of the top-20. If we were a cap strapped team and had a need to move out money, then maybe. But I would rather just buy out Driedger than making that trade. I know we are looking to open up that 2G spot but there are easier ways to just do that.

Talking about SJ, I wonder if Francis considers Karlsson as a team fit (stylistically) and/or financially. Having a game changer like him could be great but I was not a fan of that contract when SJ got it and not sure if I like it anymore right now. If Dunn's demands are insane (8M x 8 or higher) then I would be fine doing a sign and trade for him and using those assets to get Karlsson instead.

Reactions: majormajor

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I am not a fan of moving out of the top-20. If we were a cap strapped team and had a need to move out money, then maybe. But I would rather just buy out Driedger than making that trade. I know we are looking to open up that 2G spot but there are easier ways to just do that.

Talking about SJ, I wonder if Francis considers Karlsson as a team fit (stylistically) and/or financially. Having a game changer like him could be great but I was not a fan of that contract when SJ got it and not sure if I like it anymore right now. If Dunn's demands are insane (8M x 8 or higher) then I would be fine doing a sign and trade for him and using those assets to get Karlsson instead.
Really, really don't like this idea. Three reasons

He is 33 years old with a contract that pays him a whopping 11.5 million next year and, I believe, another 10 million the year after that.

In the previous four seasons, he has been injury prone, averaging only 53 games a year.

We don't need another poor defender on the blueline. Even in his bounce back year last season, he had a -25 plus/minus. He is -103 for his career and at his age likely to get worse.

Committing all that money to an aging, injury prone defenseman who can be a liability on defense is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: seakraken

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

He is 33 years old with a contract that pays him a whopping 11.5 million next year and, I believe, another 10 million the year after that.

In the previous four seasons, he has been injury prone, averaging only 53 games a year.

We don't need another poor defender on the blueline. Even in his bounce back year last season, he had a -25 plus/minus. He is -103 for his career and at his age likely to get worse.

Committing all that money to an aging, injury prone defenseman who can be a liability on defense is just asking for trouble.
Yeah. I thought Wilson was crazy when they gave him that contract and feel he's only confirmed that initial reaction over time. Instead of "getting over the hump", his huge cut of the cap accelerated the dismantling for a someday in the future rebuild of the Sharks. From the rumors this past season, I think Grier was almost certainly shopping him around but wasn't able to find much serious interest. (We did trade for Karlsson's D pairing partner, Megna.)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Yeah. I thought Wilson was crazy when they gave him that contract and feel he's only confirmed that initial reaction over time. Instead of "getting over the hump", his huge cut of the cap accelerated the dismantling for a someday in the future rebuild of the Sharks. From the rumors this past season, I think Grier was almost certainly shopping him around but wasn't able to find much serious interest. (We did trade for Karlsson's D pairing partner, Megna.)
No arguments about the contract. I think 9.5M - 10M would have been fair but he is overpaid by 1.5-2M a year.

Also, no one is going to argue that Karlsson is a shut down D-man but I do think his defense gets a lot more flak than it deserves. He was actually pretty good in SJ but played injured for most of his first 2 seasons. Last season may have been the first time he has been full healthy. Also, that -26 looks atrocious but he was basically the teams offense last season and the best skater on the team with over 5 GP was still -3.

I am not advocating us getting Karlsson because of the cap. But another big reason is the fit on the team. While we need an elite skater, we also need him to be able to play the high-effort and defensive style that makes the team click.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Corey Pronman's latest mock draft.(Athletic, behind paywall)

He has us taking Sandin-Pellikka at #20 and I wouldn't mind that one bit.

His other picks for us are.

#50 - Nico Myatovic - LW/Seattle
#52 - Trey Augustine - G/NTDP
#57 - Andrew Gibson - RHD/Sault Ste. Marie
#84 - Noah Dower Nilssonm - LW/Frolunda(Sweden)
#116 - Jaden Lipinski - C/Vancouver
#148 - Andrei Loshko - C/Chicoutimi
#168 - Ty Halaburda - C/Vancouver
#180 - Adam Cedzo - LW/Trinec(Czechia)
#212 - Eric Pohlkamp - D/Cedar Rapids

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I am curious about what your thoughts are on ASP. Overall but mainly on the defensive side.

Also, how do you compare him to Willander?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I am curious about what your thoughts are on ASP. Overall but mainly on the defensive side.

Well, he's 5'10 so he's not going to be a shut down defenseman.
Though, his offensive potential is huge and he could be a pp qb for us.

If I had to decide between him and Willander I'd take Willander.
Willander just seems more like a two way RHD that is still good enoug offensively to help you on the pp.

Overall I still see us taking a forward in round one but I think absolutely no one knows how this draft will look like from #10 and below.
There's a good chance one of two guys will be available at #20 that many though would be gone at #15, IMO.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

I like Sandin-Pelikka,Gibson and Dower-Nilsson.Don't know much about the rest. Personally I wouldn't invest the 52nd pick on a goaltender since we already took Kokko and Vyazovoi in past drafts but maybe the Russian doesn't want to come over?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I like Sandin-Pelikka,Gibson and Dower-Nilsson.Don't know much about the rest. Personally I wouldn't invest the 52nd pick on a goaltender since we already took Kokko and Vyazovoi in past drafts but maybe the Russian doesn't want to come over?
I hope we don't burn a 2nd round pick on a goalie. I am hoping we can target Thomas Milic in the late rounds or even sign him as a UDFA.

Reactions: Irie

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

This year seems to have quite a few very interesting goalies with Hrabal, Gajan, Bjarnason, Augustine etc.

If a guy like Hrabal is there at #50(doubt it) I wouldn't mind us taking one given that we only have to prospects in our pool so far and I haven't heard or read much of anything about Vyazovioi lateley.

I hope we don't burn a 2nd round pick on a goalie. I am hoping we can target Thomas Milic in the late rounds or even sign him as a UDFA.

Well, Milic could be there in rounds 5 - 7.
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him but he'd be a guy that most likely would directly go to the AHL with the other options being a couple years away from doing so.

But we'll see what happens.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah. He is still unranked on most lists going into the draft so I am hoping we could grab him with a late pick.

How does the Del Wilson Trophy winner that managed to get to the memorial cup final go unranked? It just seems so odd to me. Are there no decent goaltender scouts anymore. Barely any are ranked at all. Somebody is going to have to tend goal in the NHL 8 to 20 years from now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I have ASP ranked closer to the end of the 1st round. I don't think there's much huge potential there to make up for the weak defending. I see an okay player but not worth our pick.

Supposedly Willander's performance in Sweden wasn't as good defensively as Willander's U18 performance, and I only saw the latter, so I'm biased in his favor. It feels like he is a great defender after watching that performance. I was sold on him instantly.

This year seems to have quite a few very interesting goalies with Hrabal, Gajan, Bjarnason, Augustine etc.

If a guy like Hrabal is there at #50(doubt it) I wouldn't mind us taking one given that we only have to prospects in our pool so far and I haven't heard or read much of anything about Vyazovioi lateley.

Well, Milic could be there in rounds 5 - 7.
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him but he'd be a guy that most likely would directly go to the AHL with the other options being a couple years away from doing so.

But we'll see what happens.

Hrabal is the only one I'd be keen to take in the second round and it looks like he won't make it to our picks.

How does the Del Wilson Trophy winner that managed to get to the memorial cup final go unranked? It just seems so odd to me. Are there no decent goaltender scouts anymore. Barely any are ranked at all. Somebody is going to have to tend goal in the NHL 8 to 20 years from now.

Personally I'm fine with signing goalies rather than drafting them. They take so long to develop and you can find guys drafted 6-10 years ago that are ready to pop. Not much payoff to developing them yourself, they lose waiver eligibility before they're ready, they aren't any good until they're nearly UFA age (if not older). Obviously if your goalie scouts love a guy then take him but there's no need to take one otherwise.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
No arguments about the contract. I think 9.5M - 10M would have been fair but he is overpaid by 1.5-2M a year.

Also, no one is going to argue that Karlsson is a shut down D-man but I do think his defense gets a lot more flak than it deserves. He was actually pretty good in SJ but played injured for most of his first 2 seasons. Last season may have been the first time he has been full healthy. Also, that -26 looks atrocious but he was basically the teams offense last season and the best skater on the team with over 5 GP was still -3.

I am not advocating us getting Karlsson because of the cap. But another big reason is the fit on the team. While we need an elite skater, we also need him to be able to play the high-effort and defensive style that makes the team click.
kihei summed it up well with the injury history. He's a great skater. He can score. But his contract is exorbitant and he has spent a lot of time out of the lineup with injuries. I don't see him as an asset from that.

Bottom line: I don't think he's a player that Francis would be interested in.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Bob McKenzie's final draft ranking.

He has Tom Willander at #20.
I'd absolutely take that.
giphy.gif

Reactions: The Marquis
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
If Honzek, Yager or Danielson fall to 20, that is a no brainer right? lol Or maybe if Danielson falls to 16-17, trade 20 and one of the 50's to move up 4 spots for Danielson?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
If Honzek, Yager or Danielson fall to 20, that is a no brainer right? lol Or maybe if Danielson falls to 16-17, trade 20 and one of the 50's to move up 4 spots for Danielson?

I think we're best served to just wait and see what's up there at #20.
I'm also not that interested in giving up a 2nd rounder to move up a couple of spots.

According to McKenzie scouts he talked to told him that this draft is at least 50 - 60 deep in legit NHL prospects.
Meaning guys that should clearly have a path to the NHL.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I think we're best served to just wait and see what's up there at #20.
I'm also not that interested in giving up a 2nd rounder to move up a couple of spots.

According to McKenzie scouts he talked to told him that this draft is at least 50 - 60 deep in legit NHL prospects.
Meaning guys that should clearly have a path to the NHL.

I’m curious though how the dollars work though, would we run out of draft rookie money if we have 3 2nd round picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad