• BPA no matter what position

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I love that draft.

Musty is high HIGH skill, with a big strong frame, and he can move. One of the top per minute scoring rates in all of junior. He has a compete issue that would make him a poor fit as is. Seems afraid of contact on the wall. This is a guy that tough coaching could potentially transform into a beastly top line winger. I think you take the long path with him and make him work for every minute he gets. But there's risk too and a reason why a lot of teams will pass on him, you don't want to have to teach compete.

Anyone we'll take at #20 will have potential and some weaknesses that could exclude him from realising their full potential.

Overall I'm not that high on Musty but some question marks about their games aren't make or break for me with this pick.

To me you swing for the fences at #20 and see what happens.
So no matter if the guy has the problems like Musty or might be a bit undersized or what not.
I don't fully care as long as they have one exceptional or strong part of their game that does stand out at least somewhat.

The "sure guys" and "good hockey players" you can take in the 2nd round(and beyond) where the scouts and Francis, so far, seem to have made good decisions in their first two drafts already.

Picking at 20 is going to be more relaxed I think. We have some decent options available already and likely that some prospects drop.

You're right someone(probably even more than one) will drop and we can just take the guy at #20.
Though, I do think it will be a wing but that would fit after having drafted two centers in previous years.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I'm still sticking with Wood but Willander would also be good/great at 20! And with the talent available in the top 60 the Kraken are going to get themselves some really good players to go with their haul of 2021 and 2022! I think the Seattle club will find themselves between 4-5 regulars coming out of 2023! And like someone said packaging a couple second rounders to move into the 33-38 spot might be a good move also! Getting excited for the Kraken as June 28-29th approaches

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I was looking at McKeen's ranking, and they seem to be more unconventional than most I have seen.

Reinbacher at 16
Willander at 23
Yager at 30

Also, he has Simashev and ASP going before Reinbacher. Dragicevec at 20 (our pick). Seems like a very different outlook towards a lot of prospects.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Anyone we'll take at #20 will have potential and some weaknesses that could exclude him from realising their full potential.

Overall I'm not that high on Musty but some question marks about their games aren't make or break for me with this pick.

To me you swing for the fences at #20 and see what happens.
So no matter if the guy has the problems like Musty or might be a bit undersized or what not.
I don't fully care as long as they have one exceptional or strong part of their game that does stand out at least somewhat.

The "sure guys" and "good hockey players" you can take in the 2nd round(and beyond) where the scouts and Francis, so far, seem to have made good decisions in their first two drafts already.

You're right someone(probably even more than one) will drop and we can just take the guy at #20.
Though, I do think it will be a wing but that would fit after having drafted two centers in previous years.
I have heard that it's easier to turn a C to W than the other way round. That being said, I am expecting either a W or D as our pick.

At the end of the day, I 100% agree with you. When picking where we are, you should aim for a player with something exceptional in their toolset including their hockey IQ. They are bound to have some weaknesses at #20 but as long as the player is coachable, he could minimize mistakes coming from those weaknesses and improve his strengths to be productive at the NHL level.

A lot of times when you aim for the more rounded player with nothing exceptional about them, you are likely to end up with a bottom-6 forward or a career AHLer. There is no shame in that ofcourse but you want to do better than that.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
A lot of times when you aim for the more rounded player with nothing exceptional about them, you are likely to end up with a bottom-6 forward or a career AHLer. There is no shame in that ofcourse but you want to do better than that.
Morgan Geekie comes to mind when I read this for some reason. Jack of all trades kinda forward that flashes, but can't crack the top-6.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Morgan Geekie comes to mind when I read this for some reason. Jack of all trades kinda forward that flashes, but can't crack the top-6.

Geekie was a 3rd rounder.
So absolutely no problem there and a good pick in the middle rounds that will play 200+ games for you.

Anyone doing that draft wise did a good job as a GM/scout.

BTW: Here's the newest draft ranking by Corey Pronman(Athletic, behind paywall).

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Geekie was a 3rd rounder.
So absolutely no problem there and a good pick in the middle rounds that will play 200+ games for you.

Anyone doing that draft wise did a good job as a GM/scout.

BTW: Here's the newest draft ranking by Corey Pronman(Athletic, behind paywall).

I think if the likes of Yaeger or Benson drop past 15, I hope Francis looks at moving up to grab them. If adding a second rounder is enough, it may be worth it.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yet another mock draft by Corey Pronman(the Athletic, behind paywall).

He's got Reinbacher at #5 thanks to his conversations with scouts and front office guys.
He also has Mitchkov at #8 to Washington.
If the Caps get him at that spot they're basically the winner of this draft, IMO.

He's got us taking Brayden Yager at #20 with Oliver Moore(#18), Calum Ritchie(#19), Calum Ritchie(#21) and Eduard Sale(#22) right around our spot.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Looking for later round picks I think we should look at stayin within city limits.

One guy I find really interesting(especially if he's there in the 3rd round, maybe even in the late 2nd round) is Nico Myatovic of the Thunderbirds.

I also wouldn't mind us spending one of those picks in rounds 5 - 7 on Thunderbirds goalie Thomas Milic.
He might not have ideal size but I think he's got the tools to be a very good goalie and he could also go right into the AHL given his age.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Yet another mock draft by Corey Pronman(the Athletic, behind paywall).

He's got Reinbacher at #5 thanks to his conversations with scouts and front office guys.
He also has Mitchkov at #8 to Washington.
If the Caps get him at that spot they're basically the winner of this draft, IMO.

He's got us taking Brayden Yager at #20 with Oliver Moore(#18), Calum Ritchie(#19), Calum Ritchie(#21) and Eduard Sale(#22) right around our spot.
I don't see the Kraken taking another Centre we seem to be loaded there!I see the Kraken taking Willander if he's there or another RD-man like Dragicevic or Bonk and then take the BPA available with 50,52 and 57 in second round! The Kraken lack Defensive prospects outside of Evans and Ottavainen

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't see the Kraken taking another Centre we seem to be loaded there!I see the Kraken taking Willander if he's there or another RD-man like Dragicevic or Bonk and then take the BPA available with 50,52 and 57 in second round! The Kraken lack Defensive prospects outside of Evans and Ottavainen

I don't think you go for need at #20, especially in a draft that is heavy on wingers(we don't have any high end prospects there) and not so much on defenseman.

Just take BPA(even if it's a center) and figure out things later.

I'd take Willander but won't be arouind at #20 from everything that's out there.

There are also loads of defenders that will be available in round two with our picks and could become 2nd pairing guys.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I don't think you go for need at #20, especially in a draft that is heavy on wingers(we don't have any high end prospects there) and not so much on defenseman.

I'd take Willander but won't be arouind at #20 from everything that's out there.

There are also loads of defenders that will be available in round two with our picks and could become 2nd pairing guys.
Never go for need in the NHL draft / too hard to predict

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

I think if you like a guy and he may not be available when you come to the podium in the second round you take him early regardless

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think if you like a guy and he may not be available when you come to the podium in the second round you take him early regardless

Yeah, you do that.

Though, that's different to what you said before in taking an RHD(or defenseman all together) and then going BPA.

I mean, if they have a defenseman on top of their board, with what's left at #20, then just go for it.

I just think youi can't go for need at #20 and try to go BPA with those later picks.
Especially with those 2nd rounders being at 50, 52 and 57.
Ideally you'd probably try and move up in the 2nd round(close to top 40) if you can can, IMO.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah, you do that.

Though, that's different to what you said before in taking an RHD(or defenseman all together) and then going BPA.

I mean, if they have a defenseman on top of their board, with what's left at #20, then just go for it.

I just think youi can't go for need at #20 and try to go BPA with those later picks.
Especially with those 2nd rounders being at 50, 52 and 57.
Ideally you'd probably try and move up in the 2nd round(close to top 40) if you can can, IMO.
Yep moving up could be good too

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Still like Wood at 20 for the Kraken with Willander a possibility too!Lots of good/great players going to come out of the 2023 Draft should be exciting and then watching the players taken by the Kraken develop over the years

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Still like Wood at 20 for the Kraken with Willander a possibility too!Lots of good/great players going to come out of the 2023 Draft should be exciting and then watching the players taken by the Kraken develop over the years
Looking at different ranking it looks like it is guaranteed that the following are gone in the top-4:

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith

I know we have our own preferences but the draft is deep.

Mitchkov
Benson
Leonard
Danielson
Moore
Reinbacher
Dvorsky
Benson
Yager
Sale
Willander
Perreault
Wood
ASP
Honzek
Barlow
Simashev
Stenberg
Cristall
But
Bonk
Musty

This is not a bad draft at all if you are picking in the top-20. The hope is that one of the players Francis and co. like drops to us from the top-15.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Looking at different ranking it looks like it is guaranteed that the following are gone in the top-4:

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith

I know we have our own preferences but the draft is deep.

Mitchkov
Benson
Leonard
Danielson
Moore
Reinbacher
Dvorsky
Benson
Yager
Sale
Willander
Perreault
Wood
ASP
Honzek
Barlow
Simashev
Stenberg
Cristall
But
Bonk
Musty

This is not a bad draft at all if you are picking in the top-20. The hope is that one of the players Francis and co. like drops to us from the top-15.

The draft being deep is awesome, but the big problem is that 20 teams will also be getting awesome players in the same draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The draft being deep is awesome, but the big problem is that 20 teams will also be getting awesome players in the same draft.
Still better than having a top-5 or top-10 heavy draft. Plus this is the cost of being a playoff team.

At the end of the day, we just need to have trust that our scouting team did a good enough job to find someone others missed or misevaluated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad