Germany
Daily Faceoff Mock draft.

Sporting News Mock Draft

The Hockey Writers

Horn's top 160 prospects

Horn's Two Round Mock Draft

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The draft being deep is awesome, but the big problem is that 20 teams will also be getting awesome players in the same draft.
Nah. Some of these guys won't develop into the player that is expected. It happens all the time. (We just want to pick the kid that will eventually play and play well at the NHL level.)

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Daily Faceoff Mock draft.

Sporting News Mock Draft

The Hockey Writers

Horn's top 160 prospects

Horn's Two Round Mock Draft
I have seen Dragicevic at 20 in two different mocks. I know it's based on ratings and not necessarily how the organization views them, but I just don't see us drafting a player like that. Great offensive talent but very questionable defense as a Dman. Not sure if that is going to fly with a GM like Francis.

I can definitely see Musty or Yager as someone we target, though. The more I look at the draft, I am hoping we go after the likes of But if he makes it that far, assuming that we know he will be coming to NA in the next season or so. I was pretty high on Cristall, but his flaws have started worrying me for a #20 pick. It is unlikely Simashev makes it to us but I am also starting to like the idea of getting him. as I have been doing a lot more reading on his skill set.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I have seen Dragicevic at 20 in two different mocks. I know it's based on ratings and not necessarily how the organization views them, but I just don't see us drafting a player like that. Great offensive talent but very questionable defense as a Dman. Not sure if that is going to fly with a GM like Francis.

I can definitely see Musty or Yager as someone we target, though. The more I look at the draft, I am hoping we go after the likes of But if he makes it that far, assuming that we know he will be coming to NA in the next season or so. I was pretty high on Cristall, but his flaws have started worrying me for a #20 pick. It is unlikely Simashev makes it to us but I am also starting to like the idea of getting him. as I have been doing a lot more reading on his skill set.

It will be interesting who will be available at #20 and what Francis and his scouting staff will do.

Personally I'd like to go for But and just swing for the fences but I'd also be happy with someone like a Honzek or Heidt.
I also still feel a forward makes the most sense at #20 but if they go for a Simashev or if Willander's there at #20, I wouldn't hate it.

On top of that I'm interested to see what we do in the 2nd round.
It's nice to have 2nd rounders but those are all int he 50's and ideally you'd be able to move up around the top 40 to get your hands on another potential high ceiling guy.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It will be interesting who will be available at #20 and what Francis and his scouting staff will do.

Personally I'd like to go for But and just swing for the fences but I'd also be happy with someone like a Honzek or Heidt.
Honzek and Heidt would work well for me too.

I also still feel a forward makes the most sense at #20 but if they go for a Simashev or if Willander's there at #20, I wouldn't hate it.
BPA. Thats the way to go anyway. I am starting to come around with Simashev the more I read about him. Outside of the Russian factor, no chance he drops to 20.

On top of that I'm interested to see what we do in the 2nd round.
It's nice to have 2nd rounders but those are all int he 50's and ideally you'd be able to move up around the top 40 to get your hands on another potential high ceiling guy.
Yeah. With our 2nd round picks, I am sure we will try to take some shots at high-ceiling guys. Assuming the top-5 go as expected, I would be happy with any of these guys at 20.

But
Benson
Honzek
Yager
Sale
Dvorsky
Leonard
Musty
Ritchie
Barlow
Perreault
Heidt

Reinbacher
Willander
Simashev

I would not be surprised if ASP goes somewhere in the top-20 but I am not as sold on him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder if we give Kasper Halttunen a serious look at 20. We have targeted Finns multiple times and think have a lot of scouts there.

I doubt it, we usually don't see him mocked in the 1st round. Bad year for Finns. I personally don't like drafting for shot either, I've seen so many busts like that. I'd rather take a guy with other strong attributes and hope he learns how to shoot rather than the other way around.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hockey Writers first round mock draft

They have us taking Samuel Honzek at #20.

That's not too bad.

Of the guys that I think have a chance of being there at #20, my favorites are But, Simashev, and Musty. Honzek might be like 4th on that list. I saw one good game of his and one terrible, so I can't claim to have a great sense of his abilities, but the puck protection ability is special with him, it's a hard player type to get. Go for it.

I don't include Willander, Moore, Benson in that list of guys who I think might be there at #20. If they're there I'm leaping over the table to get them.

Yager is intriguing - he looked like a different player in the playoffs, he went from zero compete to high compete. Not sure how to rank him.

Calum Ritchie has been confirmed to have played all year with a back injury. If that's fixable he might see his stock jump back up. He's a strong skater, great soft touch passing, smart in all zones. The type of center that everyone wants, it seems. But the Kraken maybe aren't as tempted, with Beniers and Wright looking to have that type covered.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I wonder if we give Kasper Halttunen a serious look at 20. We have targeted Finns multiple times and think have a lot of scouts there.

Halttunen didn't have a good year and seems to be slipping quite a bit.
He might even be available in the 2nd round with our first pick there.

To me, if there's a euro winger that might slip and could be available at #20 it's Eduard Sale.
He didn't have a good season and some are now questioning his motor but he's got the tools to become a top six winger in the NHL:

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To me, if there's a euro winger that might slip and could be available at #20 it's Eduard Sale.
He didn't have a good season and some are now questioning his motor but he's got the tools to become a top six winger in the NHL:

Sale might even slip out of the 1st! Just some of the things scouts are saying about him gives me that feeling. Today on a podcast (hockey prospect radio) I heard a couple scouts ask if Sale enjoyed hockey. That's a scary question. I've also heard "seems like a guy you'll end up trying to trade away". He does remind me of guys that have failed to progress - like both sides of the Mantha-Vrana deal. I think it's the motor and just how rarely he applies his skillset. You just see bits and pieces of him. Describing his skillset doesn't describe what you'll see when you watch him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who are the players that if they make it to say, pick 15, you get itchy to trade up and snag them?

I suppose you could tell from my previous post that it's Simashev, But, Musty, Willander, Benson, and Moore for me, and the latter three I'd be very surprised if they made it to #20. Benson is way too good to even fall to #16, but if Caufield can do it, so can he.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Who are the players that if they make it to say, pick 15, you get itchy to trade up and snag them?

Benson is way too good to even fall to #16, but if Caufield can do it, so can he.

I think that lesson will be fresh in the minds of the GMs, and I'll be really surprised if Benson falls out of the top 10. I think he'll be Philly's pick at #7 if he even makes it that far.

This team has proven to me that they're really building something, with the right type of players to make it happen. If they have their heart set on someone who's a few spots out of reach, by all means go get your guy. I like the examples you listed too, other than But whom I don't think they'd have to trade up for. Gulyayev maybe? Or if someone like Leonard starts to fall.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I suppose you could tell from my previous post that it's Simashev, But, Musty, Willander, Benson, and Moore for me, and the latter three I'd be very surprised if they made it to #20. Benson is way too good to even fall to #16, but if Caufield can do it, so can he.
I think it has to be a really good prospect to contemplate that trade. If the prospect is in the organization's top 10 and available at 15, swing for the fences and go for it. The way this draft pans out, I would not be shocked if a top-15 player ranked by a lot of teams falls to 20 anyway.

For example, in the list of 6 names you mentioned above, I can see all but Benson falling outside of the top-15. Even Benson has some question marks but I am fairly sure he does not make it to 15. Even then, if you have Simashev, Willander, But, Musty, and Moore at 15, just sit pat and grab the best of the bunch that makes it to us.

That being said among those 6, I would definitely try to gauge the cost of moving up for Simashev, But and Benson. I am getting really high on But the more I read about him.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

For me that would be Willander.
I think Simashev will be available at #20 and I wouldn't want to pay extra to move up for him.

I'm not sure if there's a huge difference between 15 and 20 in this years draft so I'd probably just stay put and take whoever the scouts think is BPA.

Though, I'd like for us to move up in the 2nd round anywhere between 38 - 42, if possible.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For me that would be Willander.
I think Simashev will be available at #20 and I wouldn't want to pay extra to move up for him.

I'm not sure if there's a huge difference between 15 and 20 in this years draft so I'd probably just stay put and take whoever the scouts think is BPA.

Though, I'd like for us to move up in the 2nd round anywhere between 38 - 42, if possible.
Are you really that low on Simashev as a prospect or is it mainly because of concerns with him not coming over? Similar to But, I think Simashev has fallen in the rankings because of being Russian.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Are you really that low on Simashev as a prospect or is it mainly because of concerns with him not coming over? Similar to But, I think Simashev has fallen in the rankings because of being Russian.

I just don't fully get the Simashev love.
He's a really good defensive defenseman but people are talking about his offense even though there's absolutely nothing you could base that off.

I wouldn't hate the pick at #20 but I'm not all that high on this years defensive prospects outside of Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellikka and Willander and think you could get a somewhat similar D prospect with our 2nd round pick.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with the "russia factor" cause I don't care much for it.
The best russians always coeme over and Michkov will be at the draft. The Caps where also able to bring over their russian prospect they drafted last season and it seems like _Artem Duda(2nd rounder by the Coyotes last year) will start playing college hockey next season.

So if But would be there at #20 I'd happily take him if I was Francis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad