Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Is there any hope of getting more picks in 1st 2nd or 3rd round this year? We finally have a deep draft and we are out of it and we do need centers, goalies, power forwards.
The only way we get a 1st is if we move Bratt. It's going to be a long offseason but I'm not ready to think about it. Right now thr focus should be on winning these next 2 games.

Moving Severson or Graves UFA rights could probably fetch us a 5th to 7th round pick is a team really wants them bad.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The only way we get a 1st is if we move Bratt. It's going to be a long offseason but I'm not ready to think about it. Right now thr focus should be on winning these next 2 games.

Moving Severson or Graves UFA rights could probably fetch us a 5th to 7th round pick is a team really wants them bad.
How about the rights to Graves and Severson and Tatar and Sharangovich and a third for pick number two in the draft? That's four players AND a good pick. Whoever comes in second in the draft lotto cant's say no that.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Wow forgot about this thing...heh. As of today NJ has 5 picks, their own 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders

Moving Sharangovich for a pick (and cap space) instead of immediate roster help doesn't seem likely imo, but significant probability he's traded. Negotiation rights to Severson should also yield another pick I think.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Wow forgot about this thing...heh. As of today NJ has 5 picks, their own 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders

Moving Sharangovich for a pick (and cap space) instead of immediate roster help doesn't seem likely imo, but significant probability he's traded. Negotiation rights to Severson should also yield another pick I think.
Severson’s negotiation rights aren’t getting traded. That rarely happens and when it does it’s not for a player like Severson. Market and price with him is gonna very unknown.

If Sharangovich gets traded it will most likely be for a pick (3rd-5th round) or a lesser version of the Zacha style trade maybe for a stopgap 6/7 D or a more physical 4th line winger (Wood replacement). Could definitely see him getting dealt for just a mid round pick though if they don’t see him as a fit anymore.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Is there any hope of getting more picks in 1st 2nd or 3rd round this year? We finally have a deep draft and we are out of it and we do need centers, goalies, power forwards.
I wouldn't be surprised at a Holtz trade for a mid to late 1st pick and using that pick on a player that is a better roster fit.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I wouldn't be surprised at a Holtz trade for a mid to late 1st pick and using that pick on a player that is a better roster fit.
At this point that would surprise me. Alex is close to making ghr NHL roster. A player picked at 20-32 is likely at least three years away. NJ wants to continue to win and may have a wing spot or two open next season.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t see that happening. Despite the disappointing start to his career Holtz is the kind of player we need around right now. Two more years on his ELC and has the potential to be a contributor. Trading him for a mid to late first wouldn’t make sense (trade possibly NHL ready former 7th pick for mid to late who won’t likely contribute for 3-5 years if at all?) and we aren’t in that much of a position to be trading for current roster help unless they’re on cheap contracts. But Holtz probably has more value than most players on the kind of cheap contracts we’d be talking. I’d be suprised if Holtz is dealt.

At this point that would surprise me. Alex is close to making ghr NHL roster. A player picked at 20-32 is likely at least three years away. NJ wants to continue to win and may have a wing spot or two open next season.
Ya Holtz is at the pivotal point where he likely has an opportunity to have a role and contribute to a good NHL team. We don’t have the space to bring too many guys in. Need young guys to step up. Guys like Holtz and Clarke could have a huge opportunity next season. We’ll see how Holtz does with that.
Another season or two of struggles would make him a good change of scenery trade candidate. But definitely not yet.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I don’t see that happening. Despite the disappointing start to his career Holtz is the kind of player we need around right now. Two more years on his ELC and has the potential to be a contributor. Trading him for a mid to late first wouldn’t make sense (trade possibly NHL ready former 7th pick for mid to late who won’t likely contribute for 3-5 years if at all?) and we aren’t in that much of a position to be trading for current roster help unless they’re on cheap contracts. But Holtz probably has more value than most players on the kind of cheap contracts we’d be talking. I’d be suprised if Holtz is dealt.

Ya Holtz is at the pivotal point where he likely has an opportunity to have a role and contribute to a good NHL team. We don’t have the space to bring too many guys in. Need young guys to step up. Guys like Holtz and Clarke could have a huge opportunity next season. We’ll see how Holtz does with that.
Another season or two of struggles would make him a good change of scenery trade candidate.
I think it would be dependent on how the organization views Holtz. On a team that's built around speed and pace and isn't lacking in scoring talent I question how much of a fit Holtz is on the roster. And if the Devils think the same then I don't see why trading him for a 1st round pick and being able to draft a player that fits the organizational philosophy better would be a bad decision.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Of course NJ wants to continue to win. But if the team doesn't feel that Holtz moves the needle compared to other options than trading him for a valuable prospect that is a better long term fit shouldn't be off the table.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think it would be dependent on how the organization views Holtz. On a team that's built around speed and pace and isn't lacking in scoring talent I question how much of a fit Holtz is on the roster. And if the Devils think the same then I don't see why trading him for a 1st round pick and being able to draft a player that fits the organizational philosophy better would be a bad decision.
Unless they have no belief in him at all which I doubt, that wouldn’t make sense. Just from a timing perspective young talented and potentially NHL ready players on their ELC’s are so valuable with where we’re at and the big extensions. And then there’s no guarantee whatsoever that a mid-late round pick turns out as good as Holtz.

Unless they’ve written him off which it’s too early to do I think it would be hard to find a trade that makes sense. I mean at a certain point if the pick was high enough sure but it probably isn’t gonna get to that point.

And I’m someone who’s lower on him and more concerned about his skating than most. Just don’t see him getting dealt as very likely. Although I didn’t exactly see the Smith trade coming either.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Unless they have no belief in him at all which I doubt, that wouldn’t make sense. Just from a timing perspective young talented and potentially NHL ready players on their ELC’s are so valuable with where we’re at and the big extensions. And then there’s no guarantee whatsoever that a mid-late round pick turns out as good as Holtz.

Unless they’ve written him off which it’s too early to do I think it would be hard to find a trade that makes sense. I mean at a certain point if the pick was high enough sure but it probably isn’t gonna get to that point.

And I’m someone who’s lower on him and more concerned about his skating than most. Just don’t see him getting dealt as very likely. Although I didn’t exactly see the Smith trade coming either.
I agree having players on ELCs are important but it'll also be important a couple years down the line. I also don't think it has to do with having no belief in Holtz but more so would just be about roster construction and not fitting the team philosophy rather than Holtz being a bad player.

I also think you bringing up the Smith trade is a somewhat good comparison. The Devils traded a talented young player that wasn't an organization fit for a player that matched their defensive philosophy. I think the same idea of potentially trading Holtz for a pick or prospect that is more suited for the Devils high speed, high pace style could make a lot of sense if the Devils felt he wasn't a long term fit.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’ve followed the draft a lot in recent years, but with what the Devils have done this year, it’s been hard to keep track, especially with our 1st round pick being dealt.

For those in the know, who are some legitimate options for our 2nd rounder? In the 58th to 65th Overall range?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I agree having players on ELCs are important but it'll also be important a couple years down the line. I also don't think it has to do with having no belief in Holtz but more so would just be about roster construction and not fitting the team philosophy rather than Holtz being a bad player.

I also think you bringing up the Smith trade is a somewhat good comparison. The Devils traded a talented young player that wasn't an organization fit for a player that matched their defensive philosophy. I think the same idea of potentially trading Holtz for a pick or prospect that is more suited for the Devils high speed, high pace style could make a lot of sense if the Devils felt he wasn't a long term fit.
I still thinks it’s unlikely and doubt they’re at that point with him. Nor do I think they would trade him for a pick. As I said the pick won’t be high enough to be worth it.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Google sends me random NHL news alerts. Yesterday I woke up to one for an article on some Flyers blog with the probably intentionally misleading headline "Flyers beat the odds at the NHL draft lottery." Not knowing when the lottery was, I was straight up angry for a few seconds.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
I'm guessing blackhawks

but I'd love to see him out in a ducks or sharks jersey

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I am rooting for the Flyers. That would make the Metro even more exciting and we would see Bedard more often :)

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Google sends me random NHL news alerts. Yesterday I woke up to one for an article on some Flyers blog with the probably intentionally misleading headline "Flyers beat the odds at the NHL draft lottery." Not knowing when the lottery was, I was straight up angry for a few seconds.

i'm betting them winning it 11-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad