Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In case anybody needed a ballpark order for mock draft purposes. I haven't seen a date for the draft lottery yet, but last year it was a couple weeks after the regular season ended.

Pre-pandemic, they did it a couple days after the regular season ended in 2019. So maybe they'll do that this year. Previously scouts disliked how the league (or perhaps TV partners) had pushed the lottery after the U18s had been completed. Ie, you might have focused on different players if you knew you were picking higher.

This year's U18s are in Switzerland from April 20-30. NHL Regular season wraps up April 14.

1st Round
---------
1. Columbus
2. San Jose
3. Chicago
4. Anaheim
5. Arizona
6. Montreal
7. Vancouver
8. Philadelphia
9. St. Louis
10. Detroit
11. Washington
12. Montreal (via Florida) [Chiarot]
13. Buffalo
14. Arizona (via Ottawa) [Chychrun]
15. Calgary
16. Nashville
---------
17. Detroit (via NYI/VAN) [Horvat/Hronek]
18. Pittsburgh
19. Winnipeg
20. Nashville (via Edmonton) [Ekholm]
21. Colorado
22. Minnesota
23. Seattle
24. NY Rangers*
25. Columbus (via Los Angeles) [Gavrikov]
26. Chicago (via Tampa Bay) [Hagel]
27. St. Louis (via Toronto)* [O'Reilly]
28. San Jose (via New Jersey) [Meier]
---------
29. St. Louis (via DAL/NYR)* [Lundkvist/Tarasenko]
30. Carolina
31. Vegas
32. Toronto (via BOS/WSH) [Orlov/Sandin]

2nd Round
---------
33. Columbus
34. San Jose
35. Chicago
36. Anaheim
37. Arizona
38. Montreal
39. Detroit (via Vancouver) [Hronek]
40. Buffalo (via Philadelphia) [Ristolainen]
41. Detroit (via St. Louis) [Leddy]
42. Detroit
43. Washington
44. Florida
45. Buffalo
46. Chicago (via Ottawa) [Zaitsev]
47. Calgary
48. Nashville
---------
49. NY Islanders
50. Nashville (via Pittsburgh) [Granlund]
51. Seattle (via WPG/WSH) [Dillon/Vanecek]
52. Edmonton
53. Anaheim (via Colorado) [Manson]
54. Minnesota
55. Seattle
56. Chicago (via NY Rangers)* [Kane]
57. Los Angeles
58. Chicago (via Tampa Bay) [Seabrook]
59. Seattle (via Toronto) [Giordano]
60. New Jersey
---------
61. Dallas
62. Carolina
63. Minnesota (via VGK/BUF) [Eichel/Greenway]
64. Anaheim (via Boston) [Lindholm]

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Normally I would put some pithy comment here about how I'm glad that I don't have to care about the draft lottery this year.

But that's not true, is it? We all want to know who's going to land Bedard. :laugh:

My keeper league's draft order reflects the actual lottery results. I've been annoyed for the past two seasons by a guy who's been blatantly tanking (I'd respect him if he just admitted it but he keeps making up phony excuses). So I'm just hoping he doesn't end up with Bedard, albeit Fantilli/Michkov/Carlsson are fine consolation prizes.

Also will be mildly annoying for a few extra week of conspiracy posts about the lottery on the main boards.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So I'm just hoping he doesn't end up with Bedard, albeit Fantilli/Michkov/Carlsson are fine consolation prizes.
Fine.
1648356682_30-kartinkof-club-p-mem-im-fine-31.jpg

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Alrighty guys, It's been a while but this season has been extremely fun. My question w/ no 1st or 2nd rd picks as of right now, who are targets for us in the 3rd rd and beyond.
As others have said the Devils have their 2nd but no 3rd.

As for targets, expect them to prioritize players who are strong skaters and play a well rounded two way game. In the 2nd round you're probably looking at guys like Martin Misiak, Carson Rehkopf and Oskar Fisker Molgaard. Defensively, Caden Price, Tanner Molendyk and Tom Willander all could fit the prototypical Devils defenseman. There's also quite a few interesting goalie prospects projected to go between rounds 2-4, better than you'd usually get in that range of the draft.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm irrationally a proponent for Andrew Strathmann since he's got the same name of one of my favorite beer league teammates. Smaller puckmoving LHD playing in the USHL, headed for North Dakota next season. Probably somebody who'd play 3-4 seasons in college before turning pro so he'd be a long term project.

Or maybe take a goalie? Adam Gajan was the Czech goalie at the WJC and he turned some heads. Undrafted in 2022, he came to North American this year and is slated to join Minnesota-Duluth next season. Trey Augustine was the rare draft eligible starter for Team USA at the WJC and will be with Michigan State. Maybe not ideal size however.

With Tyler Brennan AHL eligible next season, a 2023 drafted goalie might be turning pro by the time Brennan's ELC expires.

Strathmann: McKenzie (#54), Button (#58), Central (#67 North American skater), Elite Prospects (#45)
Gajan: McKenzie (#56), Central (#4 North American goalie)
Augustine: McKenzie (#57), Button (#55), Central (#3 North American goalie), Elite Prospects (#43)

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm irrationally a proponent for Andrew Strathmann since he's got the same name of one of my favorite beer league teammates. Smaller puckmoving LHD playing in the USHL, headed for North Dakota next season. Probably somebody who'd play 3-4 seasons in college before turning pro so he'd be a long term project.

Or maybe take a goalie? Adam Gajan was the Czech goalie at the WJC and he turned some heads. Undrafted in 2022, he came to North American this year and is slated to join Minnesota-Duluth next season. Trey Augustine was the rare draft eligible starter for Team USA at the WJC and will be with Michigan State. Maybe not ideal size however.

With Tyler Brennan AHL eligible next season, a 2023 drafted goalie might be turning pro by the time Brennan's ELC expires.

Strathmann: McKenzie (#54), Button (#58), Central (#67 North American skater), Elite Prospects (#45)
Augustine: McKenzie (#57), Button (#55), Central (#3 North American goalie), Elite Prospects (#43)
Well it’s definitely irrational, I’ll give you that. I would like a forward.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Well it’s definitely irrational, I’ll give you that. I would like a forward.

At that point of the draft, I'd hope they'd just take BPA. Although NHL teams seem to lean for positional need.

One cautionary tale is how the Kings did their 2006 2nd rounder (#48). Dean Lombardi was just hired as GM and he saw a team that had a ton of young forwards but nothing on the blue line. Lombardi stayed out of the way as the team drafted Jonathan Bernier and Trevor Lewis in the first round. Then with their next pick, the scouts wanted to take Milan Lucic. Lombardi vetoed the pick and told them to take a defenseman. So they pivoted and took Joey Ryan who ended up being mostly an ECHL player.

Lombardi compounded that mistake in 2009. After Lucic had a breakout season, Lombardi was dead set on drafting a Lucic-esque prospect Kyle Clifford with pick #35. It got to the point where the scouts implored Lombardi to trade up for Ryan O'Reilly but Lombardi refused if it meant missing out on Clifford.

And then Lombardi finally landed Lucic on the eve of the 2015 Draft. It cost them their first round pick. Former Kings assistant GM Mike Futa said Matt Barzal would have been the highest guy left on their board had they kept the pick.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
At that point of the draft, I'd hope they'd just take BPA. Although NHL teams seem to lean for positional need.

One cautionary tale is how the Kings did their 2006 2nd rounder (#48). Dean Lombardi was just hired as GM and he saw a team that had a ton of young forwards but nothing on the blue line. Lombardi stayed out of the way as the team drafted Jonathan Bernier and Trevor Lewis in the first round. Then with their next pick, the scouts wanted to take Milan Lucic. Lombardi vetoed the pick and told them to take a defenseman. So they pivoted and took Joey Ryan who ended up being mostly an ECHL player.

Well the problem there is 2006 was a dogshit draft in terms of depth and there‘s almost no good defensemen in it.

Telling his scouts to find NHL defenseman with the #48 pick in the 2006 draft was a trick question. The best a scout could do, even if they were from the future and knew how all the drafted players’ careers would shake out, was Andrew f***ing McDonald.

360A561F-22B9-4839-81C7-861023D431CD.jpeg

EFD052C7-32B4-4290-AC56-B8046B398D40.jpeg
9807FBAC-7187-408F-9DD3-18F55F5C60D8.jpeg

In theory BPA, ok.

I still not making a list with a 5’11” 174 puck moving LHD on it unless this kid is Adam Fox 2.0 or something lol.

This is supposed to be a strong draft for forwards, so I would lean there.

Our pick is an area that traditionally is more goalie and defenseman heavy, so I’m not going to be surprised if that happened though.

Still hoping for a forward, ideally a center and you can’t stop me!

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

This does seem to be a very interesting goalie crop that is getting a bit underhyped due to not having a clear cut 1st round caliber prospect and also being overshadowed by an elite skater crop. It might not have the blue chip prospects like 2019 with Spencer Knight, 2020 with Askarov and 2021 with Wallstedt and Cossa but I think the depth of this class is much better than any of those classes and those tend to be the most productive goalie classes. Kind of reminds me of the 2014 class that wasn't really hyped up but ended up producing a ton of NHL goalies including Shesterkin, Sorokin and Demko.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Telling his scouts to find NHL defenseman with the #48 pick in the 2006 draft was a trick question. The best a scout could do, even if they were from the future and knew how all the drafted players’ careers would shake out, was Andrew f***ing McDonald.
You could have taken some overager like Martinez or Braun with that pick before McDonald... but yeah, the general point still stands. Not a lot of depth in there.

Too bad there hasn't been much draft prospect talk here compared to previous years but I guess it's understandable when your team is having a great season. As a Jackets fan I wish you good luck in the playoffs. I hope you beat the Rangers.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Who are we tanking for?

I would like to get a couple more 2/3/4 round picks. Maybe trade one of our UFAs for negotiating rights. But we need forward depth, I think.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It's March 24th and I still don't know much about anything past the top 3 picks in this year's draft. What a feeling this is....
do we even need a draft thread this season?

end of last season i was looking ahead with the expectations the devils would draft somewhere between 10 and 20 and leo carlsson caught my eyes. i was wrong on so many levels. let's simply draft some forwards/centers with size and hope one of them develops into a bottom 6 player.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
@StevenToddIves Hey man, I know like most Devils fans were not terribly concerned about the draft, especially the top 10… But I’m just curious about what you think about Bobs top 12 list today? Will Smith passing both Carlsson and Michkov for 3rd, Reinbacher being the best defenseman at 10…

Kind of a wild list going on if you think about where everyone was mid season.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
@StevenToddIves Hey man, I know like most Devils fans were not terribly concerned about the draft, especially the top 10… But I’m just curious about what you think about Bobs top 12 list today? Will Smith passing both Carlsson and Michkov for 3rd, Reinbacher being the best defenseman at 10…

Wait, so we’re not getting Bedard this year?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
do we even need a draft thread this season?

end of last season i was looking ahead with the expectations the devils would draft somewhere between 10 and 20 and leo carlsson caught my eyes. i was wrong on so many levels. let's simply draft some forwards/centers with size and hope one of them develops into a bottom 6 player.

At least for some of us, HF was primarily a prospects board in the 90's so it's probably a topic that a few of us enjoy. But yeah, I haven't been this disconnected with a draft class since Lou had to fork over the 2007 1st well in advance to dump Malakhov.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

don't wanna jump in front of STI here just offering my two cents:

i don't agree with the smith ranking. he's tremendously skilled and deserves a decently high placement, but carlsson's combination of skill, size, and processing ability, not to mention his remarkable progression this season even into the SHL playoffs makes him a more palatable prospect to me. one of his biggest knocks this year was skating which has shown improvement (in terms of pure speed for sure, he was always really light on his feet). michkov, obviously, is better and having unprecedented success and will only be selected lower than 2 for non-hockey reasons. people have spent all season stumbling over themselves trying to talk themselves out of him but it's just not working, he's an exceptional talent. that's not to say he isn't without his drawbacks (i.e. his size+speed combo isn't ideal), but this level of talent is so impressive i'll always bet on the player finding his way. bob's list is great as a feeler for how the draft will go, so i unfortunately won't be surprised to see michkov slip, but i'll disagree with it

couple other quick comments on it:
-well deserved high placement for dvorsky despite what a number of armchair scouts wanna say. hes an unbelievably strong defensive presence with an excellent shot, great vision, and effective passing game. no, he's not the most elite offensive player you'll see, but too many people saw a lack of flash and a lack of production in a notoriously difficult to produce in league and began projecting him as a much lower upside player than he is
-reinbacher is my top defender by a significant margin and i think even 10 undersells him. i wouldnt put him over jiricek/nemec from last year but i dont think hes that far off, he has a super established defensive game and has shown flashes of opening up offensively. i was blown away by his WJC showing
-i really wasnt a wood fan coming out of the bchl this past offseason but the strides hes taken with uconn have been amazing. the guy produces everywhere and more importantly is hes trusted by his team and coaching staff to be the guy produce. he was 17 for most of the year and put up a ppg showing in college! he has the vision, shot, playmaking ability, and smarts to be a high impact player. his defensive engagement isnt great but theres been clear progression. hes choppy on his skates but at top speed hes not as bad as people make him out to be. jason robertson is a lofty comparison but it really feels like a similar case of so much other than skating grading out as high end, we'll see if he hits anywhere near that
-this is getting long so ill cut myself off (happy to comment on more if youd like) but one player i believe deserved a top 12 placement was eduard sale, who didnt even get an HM. great skater, extremely crafty thinker, dual threat offensive player with a preference for playmaking, theres just so much elite offensive skill here. part of his low ranking is being in extraliga which people notoriously underrank over because these kids dont put up gaudy point totals (playing bottom 6 assignments...) and will understandably go quiet for stretches of time. the other side of it is, while i think people overstate it, his shift to shift consistency can vary. he can be a bit passive going for loose pucks. he isnt always as dominant and assertive with the puck as can be. but again i dont its this glaring issue some people think it is, and i believe hes an overwhelming net positive on the ice a majority of the time. you can probably pick any game from his most recent u18 tournament and come away really impressed by him, which is especially noteworthy considering how little support he had up front

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
don't wanna jump in front of STI here just offering my two cents:

i don't agree with the smith ranking. he's tremendously skilled and deserves a decently high placement, but carlsson's combination of skill, size, and processing ability, not to mention his remarkable progression this season even into the SHL playoffs makes him a more palatable prospect to me. one of his biggest knocks this year was skating which has shown improvement (in terms of pure speed for sure, he was always really light on his feet). michkov, obviously, is better and having unprecedented success and will only be selected lower than 2 for non-hockey reasons. people have spent all season stumbling over themselves trying to talk themselves out of him but it's just not working, he's an exceptional talent. that's not to say he isn't without his drawbacks (i.e. his size+speed combo isn't ideal), but this level of talent is so impressive i'll always bet on the player finding his way. bob's list is great as a feeler for how the draft will go, so i unfortunately won't be surprised to see michkov slip, but i'll disagree with it

couple other quick comments on it:
-well deserved high placement for dvorsky despite what a number of armchair scouts wanna say. hes an unbelievably strong defensive presence with an excellent shot, great vision, and effective passing game. no, he's not the most elite offensive player you'll see, but too many people saw a lack of flash and a lack of production in a notoriously difficult to produce in league and began projecting him as a much lower upside player than he is
-reinbacher is my top defender by a significant margin and i think even 10 undersells him. i wouldnt put him over jiricek/nemec from last year but i dont think hes that far off, he has a super established defensive game and has shown flashes of opening up offensively. i was blown away by his WJC showing
-i really wasnt a wood fan coming out of the bchl this past offseason but the strides hes taken with uconn have been amazing. the guy produces everywhere and more importantly is hes trusted by his team and coaching staff to be the guy produce. he was 17 for most of the year and put up a ppg showing in college! he has the vision, shot, playmaking ability, and smarts to be a high impact player. his defensive engagement isnt great but theres been clear progression. hes choppy on his skates but at top speed hes not as bad as people make him out to be. jason robertson is a lofty comparison but it really feels like a similar case of so much other than skating grading out as high end, we'll see if he hits anywhere near that
-this is getting long so ill cut myself off (happy to comment on more if youd like) but one player i believe deserved a top 12 placement was eduard sale, who didnt even get an HM. great skater, extremely crafty thinker, dual threat offensive player with a preference for playmaking, theres just so much elite offensive skill here. part of his low ranking is being in extraliga which people notoriously underrank over because these kids dont put up gaudy point totals (playing bottom 6 assignments...) and will understandably go quiet for stretches of time. the other side of it is, while i think people overstate it, his shift to shift consistency can vary. he can be a bit passive going for loose pucks. he isnt always as dominant and assertive with the puck as can be. but again i dont its this glaring issue some people think it is, and i believe hes an overwhelming net positive on the ice a majority of the time. you can probably pick any game from his most recent u18 tournament and come away really impressed by him, which is especially noteworthy considering how little support he had up front
Really appreciate your point of view too! I know Yager has fallen down the rankings, but how do you feel about him? He really seems to have all the tools and work ethic, I’m just surprised his season hasn’t reflected it as much.

Reactions: evnted

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Really appreciate your point of view too! I know Yager has fallen down the rankings, but how do you feel about him? He really seems to have all the tools and work ethic, I’m just surprised his season hasn’t reflected it as much.
honestly...im still not really sure how i feel about him yet. he plays a simple, smart, safe two-way game, hes got a laser of a shot, and hes a solid N-S skater with a quick initial jump. he definitely felt primed for a big season and being a top contender behind the bedard/michkov pair, but it was pretty bland, all things considered. i know he was working on his playmaking game, so i think that excuses some of the goal scoring dip, and moose jaw in general seemed like it was in a funk. so i dont really know. i definitely dont think hes a real creative, crafty player, and i think thats gonna be the deciding factor between him being a top end guy in this draft vs a solid guy in this draft. i know some people really buy into this tools and think he'll rebound, not to mention he's pretty slender and some added strength will likely compliment the game he wants to play, so i do respect people who are higher on him than i am. i think for now theres just a bunch of other really enticing picks for me in the first half of this draft that i like him right around/just outside the lottery pick region. i havent had a chance to deep dive his playoff run yet, which i know he showed more signs of life in, so i wouldnt be surprised if i softened on him a little by the end of things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad