Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Potential Selection Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
re Murray, not sure about his value, positive or negative. Might have to do with timing if you’re dealing him. His contract is pretty backloaded, 8m next year, not sure how much is at the front.

But the scenarios to move him, even with negative value, can’t be too costly.

Couldn’t TO trade him retained (say 2 mil leaves a 4m surplus for other spending ) to a team who would then buy him out?

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Pass. He is maybe bottom pairing if everything works out, and that bottom pairing would be no better than guys we routinely find in later rounds or in free agency. I haven't watched him this year, but last year he didn't have anything that stood out and needed work on a bunch of things to even get to bottom pairing upside.

If nobody drafts him and he continues to progress well over the next 3 or 4 years, then we can re-evaluate.
Wasn't suggesting taking him early, but I found him interesting through stat watching. Liiga isn't what it once was but his numbers caught my eye.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
2.7M in our cap crunch year is not barely anything. But I agree he's been half decent

The cap hit for us is never 2.7M. His cap hit next season would be 688K, and then the following year (when the cap is expected to jump significantly) its 2M.

Ottawa also gets a 230K cap hit next year and a 667K cap hit the year following.

It’s really a great option in the scenario we want to move him to open up the spot for Woll. It’s likely preferable to trying to trade him with additional retention which is on the cap next year when things will be tight

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
I would be happy with any of Brindley, Perron, Musty, Stenberg, But, Heidt, Perrault, Nadeau, Halttunen, Wood. Would probably need to trade up for a couple of these guys, or we can wait and see who falls to us. I can definetly see Dubas (if he's still around) trading down as well.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lets trade UP and go get Ritchie from Oakville .. big 6ft2 C with speed to break away and good hands .. he is gonna be a player from this draft .. keen hockey sense and not afraid

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Lets trade UP and go get Ritchie from Oakville .. big 6ft2 C with speed to break away and good hands .. he is gonna be a player from this draft .. keen hockey sense and not afraid

I haven't seen the kid play... but everything I read suggests skating is a weakness. 2023 NHL DRAFT: OHL - Calum Ritchie, C, Oshawa Generals - Scouting Report/Video Review.

Skating is likely one of the weaker elements of Ritchie’s game, but nonetheless there are some positives in his skating habits. He doesn’t have a quick first step, but once he gets moving, he can accelerate at a high rate.

Highly skilled and intelligent playmaking pivot who can play a physical game. Needs to add some quickness but he already processes the game at an elite level and has potential as a top-six NHL center who drives offense.

Needs to add some quickness, as he lacks explosiveness.

Trading up from where we will pick... to the late teens where he will be selected, is a tall order.

He does seem to have speed, but not as much acceleration... teaching acceleration, is easier than teaching speed.

Mar 12, 2009
Been enjoying watching Kitchener since the Top Prospects game. Rehkopf and Brzustewicz are the reason why I started watching them and have become my early favourites this draft in our range.
I'm starting to have some questions about Rehkopfs motor and processing speed, but he's a really good toolsy player, with a potential for higher upside if the horrible coaching job this year in Kitchener turns out to have been a factor in some of his inconsistency.

Brzustewicz I'm pretty much sold on. Needs to get stronger and add some weight to defend effectively, but I like his hockey smarts and his poise. I'd be happy with him with our 1st; I think Rehkopf can maybe be had in the 40s.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'm starting to have some questions about Rehkopfs motor and processing speed, but he's a really good toolsy player, with a potential for higher upside if the horrible coaching job this year in Kitchener turns out to have been a factor in some of his inconsistency.

Brzustewicz I'm pretty much sold on. Needs to get stronger and add some weight to defend effectively, but I like his hockey smarts and his poise. I'd be happy with him with our 1st; I think Rehkopf can maybe be had in the 40s.
Rehkopf production has fallen off a bit since Kitchener made some moves and he got moved to 3rd line C and is being used as the shutdown C now behind Pinelli and Arcuri. Dubas and them seemed to really like Minten and I think Rehkopf and Minten are pretty similar players imo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rehkopf production has fallen off a bit since Kitchener made some moves and he got moved to 3rd line C and is being used as the shutdown C now behind Pinelli and Arcuri. Dubas and them seemed to really like Minten and I think Rehkopf and Minten are pretty similar players imo.

Rehkopf has a lot more skill and better offensive tools.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

While I would love more centres, is it redundancy in our system at that point or do you accept that not every player makes it and hedge your bets?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
While I would love more centres, is it redundancy in our system at that point or do you accept that not every player makes it and hedge your bets?
Rehkopf can play LW too. Some think that if he doesn't improve in the faceoff dot since that is his biggest weakness at that position atm that he will be moved to the wing in the NHL which wouldn't be the worst thing either because of his shot and his speed. Also, idk if we really have many legit C prospects in our system that I can think of. Some of them that are listed as C I think are gonna end up being wingers or are already playing wing.
Yeah I think so too but he was just the most recent comparable that came to mind to give people somewhat of an idea of how he plays.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Been watching Brindley for the NCAA final weeks of their season and he looks like a pretty good player. Smaller guy but a little firecracker who isn't afraid of anything or anyone. Pretty much a Nick Robertson type player but seeing how Robertson can't stay healthy at the pro level it scares you a bit but he sure is fun to watch. Hopefully him and Knies face off again in the Finals next weekend because their last matchup was a good game.

Reactions: LeafChief

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd rather see a centre or dmam - thats where we need more depth and quality.

None of the wingers in our range are all that special anyways. Rehkopf may be the best if he doesn't stick at center. Tons of defensemen in there, and a couple of good centers.

Although, we are not really doing too bad on defense. Could use a higher end LD guy now that Sandin has been moved, but RD we have Timmins, Liljegren, Niemela, and Villeneuve all doing well right now. LD we have Kral, Koster, and Kokkonen.

Just don't reach like we did with Minten and we will be fine.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The new GM is going to dump the first round pick to unload Murray’s contract.
I doubt that. 1 year left at 4.6 million isn't hard to move, especially when Murray hasn't looked that bad when he's been healthy. I'm sure we could even retain a bit of it if desperate or if it would get us a higher draft pick. If anything Dubas will just trade back again and try and pick up 2 2nd round picks or a 2nd and 3rd since we only have 3 picks in a draft that has some pretty good talent.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
None of the wingers in our range are all that special anyways. Rehkopf may be the best if he doesn't stick at center. Tons of defensemen in there, and a couple of good centers.

Although, we are not really doing too bad on defense. Could use a higher end LD guy now that Sandin has been moved, but RD we have Timmins, Liljegren, Niemela, and Villeneuve all doing well right now. LD we have Kral, Koster, and Kokkonen.

Just don't reach like we did with Minten and we will be fine.

Do you think Minten was a reach?

The new GM is going to dump the first round pick to unload Murray’s contract.

It cost a 3rd and 7th to unload him 25% retained with 2 years.

Now it's 1 year remaining and his stats improved over his Ottawa tenure although the health concerns remain.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

I haven't seen the kid play... but everything I read suggests skating is a weakness. 2023 NHL DRAFT: OHL - Calum Ritchie, C, Oshawa Generals - Scouting Report/Video Review.

Skating is likely one of the weaker elements of Ritchie’s game, but nonetheless there are some positives in his skating habits. He doesn’t have a quick first step, but once he gets moving, he can accelerate at a high rate.

Ladies and gentlemen, scouting in a nutshell.

giphy (11).gif

Reactions: Superstar

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Man that's gonna be tough for the kid to recover from. Just terrible and 3 months before probably the one day they both were looking forward to the most in his life.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I doubt that. 1 year left at 4.6 million isn't hard to move, especially when Murray hasn't looked that bad when he's been healthy. I'm sure we could even retain a bit of it if desperate or if it would get us a higher draft pick. If anything Dubas will just trade back again and try and pick up 2 2nd round picks or a 2nd and 3rd since we only have 3 picks in a draft that has some pretty good talent.
Dubas won’t be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad