Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Potential Selection Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Should we make the pick…

Or should we make some memes?

:bruins

2023 1st, 28th overall (Boston)
Sam Lafferty (1.15 for one year)
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

:leafs

Brandon Carlo (4.1 for four more years)

I wouldn’t dare post this on the mains, consult this post for the rationale. They can flip Lafferty for a 4th or something.

GMs are drooling at the prospect of prying pieces of the B’s away - why shouldn’t we jump on it? They’re just gonna use the pick to draft the 64th-ranked NA Skater because he can punch people anyways.

Edit: Holl gone (2), Gustafson gone (800k), Kerfoot gone (3.5), Bunting gone (950k), Simmonds gone (900k), ZAR gone (850k), Murray gone (4.68)…Brodie replaced by a younger, cheaper option when his deal ends.

Schenn kept (900k), ROR kept (4.5?), Acciari kept (1.5), Sammy gets 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: ITM

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Well who would of thought that B's pick would end up being better than the leafs pick. They should just end up drafting whoever best is available. Deep 1st round options should be fun to see who they get.

horner

May 22, 2007
28 used to be a good range for some defensemen and centers. Now they have all either fallen off to the 30's and 40's or have risen to the early 20's/late teens. Most of the guys around our area are probably wingers, and that is now what we need.

I can talk about forwards and defensemen later, but I can quickly touch on goalies at a high level and then go into detail at another time.

It is not a weak draft for goalies in the sense of the fact that Augustine, Ratzlaff, Hrabal, Bjarnason, Fowler, and Gajan are all fairly solid options with good upside. But it is pretty shallow. I can maybe stretch it out to 15 goalies overall, but there are already some long shots included in there. I like the top 7 NA goalies (everyone listed above plus Stephen Peck; haven't watched him but he had the best numbers at Avon since Quick so he may be worth a shot when there is not much else).

Musser is not good and I have no idea why he is ranked so high. Spunar's and Suchanek were fine, but as OAers (or double OAer in Suchanek's case), they may not be good enough... And Suchanek was excellent in the U20's. Everyone outside of the top 10 is generally bad. If I had to choose some, it would probably be Miller, Bowen, Urban, maybe Meneghin, maybe Korpi, and maybe unranked Rhett Stoesser (it is too bad he got hurt). Bowen had some really promising moments where he was even outplaying Brochu in London, but fell off at the end. I am surprised Stoesser went unranked because he was practically splitting the net with a fairly good Kyle Kelsey in Red Deer (one of the best teams in the WHL this year) before getting hurt and he has a .910 with some solid size. Came out of nowhere a bit this year, but that is not much unlike Bjarnason (went undrafted in the WHL before winning a backup job with Brandon in his D-1 year).

In Europe, Hellnemo is an OAer and top ranked. Pretty weak crop if he is #1 but he should be a decent mid-round option. I like Clara and Zavragin. Zavragin had a bit of an off-year but he was excellent last year and has some nice upside. Wish we could see him internationally, since I would bet he would have been Russia's starter in the U18's. Clara is raw but also has nice upside. 6'6", carrying Italy's junior teams the past two years (and may be their men's starter as soon as next year), and did a solid job with Farjestads while also starting in most of their games. That is probably it from Europe (I don't think Jatkola is worth it as a D+3, Vali is too small and rightfully or wrongfully was not given a chance when Eemil Vinni struggled hard this year, and the rest just don't have the numbers). You can probably throw in a couple of random Russians that teams may take a stab at but once again, we are scraping the bottom after Hellnemo, Clara, and Zavragin for me.

So that gives me 10 guys I like enough to draft at some point and another 5-10 I could probably list if you desperately wanted a goalie but I would probably just recommend passing on at this point.
Thanks

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Otto Stenberg is a name I have heard the Leafs are interested in.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Dubas pulled another Mrazek special with Murray.

Reactions: The Iceman
Mar 12, 2009
I'd be happy with Brzutewicz or Rehkopf. Haven't seen most non-OHL players, but seen those 2 a lot and I like their potential and projection with what they managed to accomplish this season with some of the most disappointing coaching in Rangers history.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ethan Gauthier is my early favourite if the Leafs pick at 28. Not sure he'll make it to there, but most rankings have him around there.

Quentin Musty (great name) would be awesome but sounds like he rose a lot in the 2nd half of the season. But he'd be also a big time favourite if he's there.

Gavin Brindley is also a dark horse pick here. He ain't the biggest but I was very impressed by his motor the few times I saw him play. Super fast and skilled but obviously being 5'9" and lightweight is a question mark... but... he's only 18 years old.

Reactions: Morgs and horner

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Why not? It happened last year with Mrazek. Could trade with Arizona at 38.
Simply because Mrazek was owed more money, for a longer time, has a similar injury history, and let's admit (unlike Murray), Mrazek is an absolute trash goalie even when healthy.

Soft deal at worst. Depending on what ROR wants to do (and how much he wants), they may even keep him and run 3 goalies.

This upcoming season they have no real cap pressure unless ROR stays and takes north of $6 million.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
28 used to be a good range for some defensemen and centers. Now they have all either fallen off to the 30's and 40's or have risen to the early 20's/late teens. Most of the guys around our area are probably wingers, and that is now what we need.

I can talk about forwards and defensemen later, but I can quickly touch on goalies at a high level and then go into detail at another time.

It is not a weak draft for goalies in the sense of the fact that Augustine, Ratzlaff, Hrabal, Bjarnason, Fowler, and Gajan are all fairly solid options with good upside. But it is pretty shallow. I can maybe stretch it out to 15 goalies overall, but there are already some long shots included in there. I like the top 7 NA goalies (everyone listed above plus Stephen Peck; haven't watched him but he had the best numbers at Avon since Quick so he may be worth a shot when there is not much else).

Musser is not good and I have no idea why he is ranked so high. Spunar's and Suchanek were fine, but as OAers (or double OAer in Suchanek's case), they may not be good enough... And Suchanek was excellent in the U20's. Everyone outside of the top 10 is generally bad. If I had to choose some, it would probably be Miller, Bowen, Urban, maybe Meneghin, maybe Korpi, and maybe unranked Rhett Stoesser (it is too bad he got hurt). Bowen had some really promising moments where he was even outplaying Brochu in London, but fell off at the end. I am surprised Stoesser went unranked because he was practically splitting the net with a fairly good Kyle Kelsey in Red Deer (one of the best teams in the WHL this year) before getting hurt and he has a .910 with some solid size. Came out of nowhere a bit this year, but that is not much unlike Bjarnason (went undrafted in the WHL before winning a backup job with Brandon in his D-1 year).

In Europe, Hellnemo is an OAer and top ranked. Pretty weak crop if he is #1 but he should be a decent mid-round option. I like Clara and Zavragin. Zavragin had a bit of an off-year but he was excellent last year and has some nice upside. Wish we could see him internationally, since I would bet he would have been Russia's starter in the U18's. Clara is raw but also has nice upside. 6'6", carrying Italy's junior teams the past two years (and may be their men's starter as soon as next year), and did a solid job with Farjestads while also starting in most of their games. That is probably it from Europe (I don't think Jatkola is worth it as a D+3, Vali is too small and rightfully or wrongfully was not given a chance when Eemil Vinni struggled hard this year, and the rest just don't have the numbers). You can probably throw in a couple of random Russians that teams may take a stab at but once again, we are scraping the bottom after Hellnemo, Clara, and Zavragin for me.

So that gives me 10 guys I like enough to draft at some point and another 5-10 I could probably list if you desperately wanted a goalie but I would probably just recommend passing on at this point.

I'd certianly take a flyer on Bowen in the 6-7th round. He had a pretty rough start of the season, great middle relatively poor ending. He is gonna have a huge opportunity both in the playoffs with Brochu's injury, and next year as the starter competing with this year's second rounder.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
GMs are drooling at the prospect of prying pieces of the B’s away - why shouldn’t we jump on it? They’re just gonna use the pick to draft the 64th-ranked NA Skater because he can punch people anyways.

Edit: Holl gone (2), Gustafson gone (800k), Kerfoot gone (3.5), Bunting gone (950k), Simmonds gone (900k), ZAR gone (850k), Murray gone (4.68)…Brodie replaced by a younger, cheaper option when his deal ends.

Do the Leafs need more Dmen though at this point? Assuming Holl doesn't get re-signed and Muzzin is done for good and if Schenn keeps playing well you want to re-sign him then they would already have:

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Brodie
Gio-Liljegren
Timmins

So unless its a very significant upgrade there doesn't seem to be a need to trade for more Dmen.

As for the draft I hope the Leafs stick to taking forwards first and then Dmen and then ZERO goalies. If Samsonov keeps playing well and stays and Woll is the up and coming goalie and Murray stays for one more year that would solve the goalie issue for the next few years. They also have a couple of goalie prospects in the system so drafting more goalies would be a complete waste of a pick.

In fact if it were up to me I'd NEVER draft goalies ever again because unless they're really, really good then there's no point in taking them when they will take years to develop and who knows if they will even turn into a good NHL goalie. Better to spend picks on forwards and Dmen and then sign or trade for a goalie when you need one.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Should we make the pick…

Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

I wouldn’t dare post this on the mains, consult this post for the rationale. They can flip Lafferty for a 4th or something.

Carlo is a defensive defenseman that sucks defensively. No thanks

horner

May 22, 2007
Ethan Gauthier is my early favourite if the Leafs pick at 28. Not sure he'll make it to there, but most rankings have him around there.

Quentin Musty (great name) would be awesome but sounds like he rose a lot in the 2nd half of the season. But he'd be also a big time favourite if he's there.

Gavin Brindley is also a dark horse pick here. He ain't the biggest but I was very impressed by his motor the few times I saw him play. Super fast and skilled but obviously being 5'9" and lightweight is a question mark... but... he's only 18 years old.
Ethan gauthier has some skill skates really good physical good defensively.
I see a ORielly type of player down the road.

Stramel is someone who interest me physical power forward needs to work on his skating .

Love Bonk one of the top dman on the london knights

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ethan gauthier has some skill skates really good physical good defensively.
I see a ORielly type of player down the road.

Stramel is someone who interest me physical power forward needs to work on his skating .

Love Bonk one of the top dman on the london knights

I think Bonk will go before his ranking. A Knights player with size and RHD typically don't fall too much. He seems like a safe pick but very likely a good prospect for sure.

Reactions: horner

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm on team trade back.

Chicago sitting with 35, 44, 52, 56, 67
Anaheim with 33,59,60,65
Detroit with 41,42,43,73,
Predators 46,47, 68
Sabres, 39, 45, 77
Columbus 34,66
Montreal 37, 69

Lots of combinations of two moves to still pick top 40 and come out with 3 picks in the top 80

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Should we make the pick…

Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Carlo looked f***ing atrocious in the POs, no way I want to pay him 4.1m.

I keep the pick, hopefully Musty or Stramel fall to us.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I'm on team trade back.

Chicago sitting with 35, 44, 52, 56, 67
Anaheim with 33,59,60,65
Detroit with 41,42,43,73,
Predators 46,47, 68
Sabres, 39, 45, 77
Columbus 34,66
Montreal 37, 69

Lots of combinations of two moves to still pick top 40 and come out with 3 picks in the top 80
Dont forget that the Kraken have our 2nd round pick and like 2 other 2nds I believe.

Reactions: 4thline

horner

May 22, 2007
I think Bonk will go before his ranking. A Knights player with size and RHD typically don't fall too much. He seems like a safe pick but very likely a good prospect for sure.
What do you think about Stramel ?

Dont forget that the Kraken have our 2nd round pick and like 2 other 2nds I believe.
I think alot of team will want to get our pick at 28th

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I haven't seen him enough to make a conclusion really. Seems like a big guy that needs a lot of time to develop and those can be hit or miss. I'm not sure if his skill level is good enough to be taken as a top 32 in what looks like to be a deep draft.

With a late 1st round pick, could be worth the dart.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well who would of thought that B's pick would end up being better than the leafs pick. They should just end up drafting whoever best is available. Deep 1st round options should be fun to see who they get.
We have to make the ECF for our pick to be "worse" than Boston's.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

I think alot of team will want to get our pick at 28th
Honestly if Bonk available we better off drafting him then trading pick unless they are set on guy or two in 2nd. I think Bonk might be the steal at the draft he quietly put up good numbers

Reactions: horner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad