Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On Michkov:

7VOzlxp.png

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have never seen a prospect surrounded by so much mystery as we are seeing with Michkov.

Some will say good reason to stay away. May be the easy but foolish move. I have seen kids have character questioned and years later when he is lighting it up as a solid player you think yup, that was wrong.

Are people throwing up lies intentionally?

But then, kid may be an absolute flake. Smoke and fire ?

Anything on his coachability ? Stuff I'm reading, kid wouldn't be coachable if he was that much of a punk.

Can't imaging we don't have connections that have provided us with facts on this kid.

Going to be a crazy draft.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Scout with a vested interest in a player falling to them muddies the water so player will fall to them.
The interview Nikolishin did was made in Russia to a Russian podcast. It was character assassination of Michkov aimed at a Russian audience. The NHL teams can validate his claims, the public can't.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Which inevitably got to the other side of the ocean.

If what he says is true, Washington wouldn't have anything to do with Michkov, as he's one of their scouts.
If he starts shit*** publicly on undrafted players as an hired NHL scout, his career as an NHL scout will be very short. Imagine if it was true, and that information helped another team skip Michkov and draft the player Washington really wants at #5-7?

IMO this is all lies, smokescreen and posturing. Everybody lies at this time of the year.

People who think NHL employees will publicly give true, useful informations to media before the draft are really fun.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
The interview Nikolishin did was made in Russia to a Russian podcast. It was character assassination of Michkov aimed at a Russian audience. The NHL teams can validate his claims, the public can't.
I think hockey organizations have gotten very smart about the fact whatever a player or executive says in their native tongue in their home country media, they know all info will come back quick. There were so many controversies in the 2000s.. If you want to leak info It can sometimes be more credible if dropped in Europe.

As for this case. Until I find out otherwise, I’ll just assume it’s some hockey guy that has little care for his career or future employment that just spoke his mind.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Arpon did a live Q&A for Athletic Subscribers. Wasn't there for the entire thing, but caught the end of it where he was saying that the Habs don't really believe in having a lot of small players in their top 6 and that already having Caufield makes it difficult to draft players like Michkov and Benson.

I understand it but still disagree with the overall process. I understand if you have two equally rated players and you take the guy with size instead, but I just don't get drafting a less-talented bigger guy instead of a higher-skilled player.

In general I agree with the Habs vision of how the game should be played, but they do seem to put a lot of emphasis on size, which I'm wondering would come to bite us back eventually.
Every one agree that you don’t want to have too many small player but if the talent is elite like CC, (Benson/Michkov) than there no issue… When you have guys that are avg. like a Pitlick, you don’t want too many of them but even if you have too many CC it is easy to trade skill for size.

Reactions: Hins77

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I wouldn't pick him at 31, too high imo
I think that pure BPA is myth, a notion that I bring up every year at draft time. A pick is always a weighted sum (or constrained optimization) of player attributes and positional need, even if the latter weight is only 5% or 10%. It is never 0 in my opinion. Meanwhile, an elite goaltender is a dire positional need, if the team wants to compete for (and in) the postseason.

In my view, he is worth a consideration at 31, given that a team could easily snag him right after that pick, and that loss would not be balanced by whom we pick at 31 instead.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Every one agree that you don’t want to have too many small player but if the talent is elite like CC, (Benson/Michkov) than there no issue… When you have guys that are avg. like a Pitlick, you don’t want too many of them but even if you have too many CC it is easy to trade skill for size.
The kind of reason Mesar is a bad pick from day 1. at draft time, I thought we were picking Hutson at mesar pick. I wasnt happy about mesar pick, but I never understood how they were able to pick Hutson further. Right now, do we pick mesar or hutson first?
Imo, if you want to pick a small guy, pick the one wich already a beast in his league.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Seeing posters on here saying Michkov only wants to go to Washington to play with Ovy. It's there any source to this? Or just trying to convince themselves they will get him.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Seeing posters on here saying Michkov only wants to go to Washington to play with Ovy. It's there any source to this? Or just trying to convince themselves they will get him.
Could be true… kind of remember Jagr tanking all is interview with other team saying he had military commitments and stuff because he wanted to slip and play with Mario. I mean if he isn’t being pick too 4 than I can’t see why he could trying to slip a few more spot

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I get it that he is not your pick. No need to throw Leonard under the bus. Like for Slafkovsky, let's give 2-3 years before making a judgment.
At least the guy is getting a hearing from me, be it negative. Which is a lot more than Michkov often gets. Posters don’t even bother evaluating him because the Habs ’won’t draft him’. I have the decency to evaluate everyone.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Where would you rank Logan Cooley among this bunch ? And would it make sense to try Cooley for our 5th OA ?

Reactions: Gustave

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Where would you rank Logan Cooley among this bunch ? And would it make sense to try Cooley for our 5th OA ?
7th, between Benson and Wood.

Top 4
Reinbacher
Benson
Cooley
Wood
Smith
Leonard

Ill hear anyone that wants to discuss Cooley vs any of Wood, Smith, Leonard and even a few more after. He has no case in the top 6 IMO.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At least the guy is getting a hearing from me, be it negative. Which is a lot more than Michkov often gets. Posters don’t even bother evaluating him because the Habs ’won’t draft him’. I have the decency to evaluate everyone.

You've more shit on anyone not named Michkov, I don't think that's analysis it's more getting yourself worked up.

Everyone who expresses a contrary view to Michkov rather than "just take Michkov" is at least able to see value in someone else in the event its not a smokescreen and they won't take Michkov.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Troyp

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Even if we draft Michkov, I would not be sure before 2-3 years in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad