HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not that long ago, I said that I liked him but picking him at 5 would be a mistake.

I got some heat for that comment, so I decided to look more into him to see if I was wrong or they were.

I had a small sample size when I made that comment and I kinda assumed his inflated scoring totals were because of Smith.

If he's the pick, I'd be happy with it. Michkov's still my pick, but I have no skin in the game. It's not my job or my money that's on the line and I would definitely understand if the Habs decided to pass on him.

I still think Brady is overrated though and that Leonard is the better prospect and probably the better NHLer.

Honestly, kudos to you.

This is the right approach and something that has served me well.

Have an opinion, express it, if there's push back, go back and see if I can see what that person sees. Change opinion if possible.

And if I have an opinion on someone and it was wrong, go back and analyze what I might have been missing or not seeing.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
You've more shit on anyone not named Michkov, I don't think that's analysis it's more getting yourself worked up.

Everyone who expresses a contrary view to Michkov rather than "just take Michkov" is at least able to see value in someone else in the event its not a smokescreen and they won't take Michkov.

I have given many positive reviews on Smith. Most of my reviews are positive on Benson. I've suggested the safest pick outside of the Top-5 was Reinbacher. Sure I'm critical of Leonard, but I think I should be. I need to at least keep in mind we are leaving behind players like Michkov to go and fish in a pond with Leonard. It's nothing personal against him. If he was at 12, It would be a different story. I might be laudatory.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If the top 4 shakes out

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Smith
4. Michkov

then the Habs need to take Carlsson, right? Even if they've fallen in love with someone else, I don't see how you leave him on the board at 5.

Yes, the Habs won't pass on anyone named in the top 4 if Michkov goes at 4. Smith, Carlsson or Fantilli will all be their pick.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
McCagg was on 690 yesterday. Dvorsky he had 3rd overall. Called him a cross between ROR and Bergeron. He said he wouldn't select Michkov. Heard rumours he was bad teammate. Too Much risk.

McCagg had a lot to say actually. He said Smith and Carlsson both have short comings. Smith is like Wright last year. Carlsson is bad defensively, can't win a faceoff. Said in WJC Sweden took him off center and played him on wing.

He said Habs should take Leonard. Has it all. Never mentioned Benson. Rainbacker and Wallinder he has as close. Wallinder came in late in season. The 6'7 goalie will go first.

Not sure if I forgot anybody else he mentioned.

Dvorsky's defensive acumen has been blown way out of proportion.

Just because he's strong and in good position most of the time doesn't mean he's a Selke caliber talent. See Tavares, Horvat.

Go read any scouting report of D-1 Dvorsky and his defensive game is always noted as something he needed to improve. And while he has, he certainly hasn't gone from a minus defender to an elite level one.

This year he had the 3rd worst +/- in the entire Allsvenskan (worst pace in the entire league had he played as many games as those below him) and worst on his playoff team (finished 10th/14). Then was healthy scratched in the playoffs. I'll tell you one thing, 6'1 200 lbs high-end defensive players do not get benched in the playoffs. If anything their role grows; coaches love that type of player.

The people who think he's the next Danault with high level scoring are in for a rude awakening IMO.

He has the ability to grow into a plus NHL defender, but even in comparison to his peers, is neither as good defensively as Moore or Danielson right now nor has the defensive upside of Moore or Yager long-term.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
If the top 4 shakes out

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Smith
4. Michkov

then the Habs need to take Carlsson, right? Even if they've fallen in love with someone else, I don't see how you leave him on the board at 5.
Given the "happy to stay in the top 5 post-lottery" comment from Papi Hughes, I think that's likely

What a dream it would be

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Imagine thinking this is just some no skilled plug, lmfao.
I like Leonard a lot and have a hard time choosing between him and Smith at the number 5 spot, but it's just funny to me how many of the passing plays he starts off only to see Perreault pull some pass that drops your jaw to the floor.

He's got his warts but man if he starts falling I'm calling teams right away.

Reactions: jaffy27

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You draft Will Smith for the regular season and you draft Ryan Leonard for the playoffs.

Why not both?

My project.png

Reactions: SlafySZN

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
You draft Will Smith for the regular season and you draft Ryan Leonard for the playoffs.
I don't see a reason why anyone would draft anyone just for their possible playoff performances. Or why anyone would believe someone who is great in the regular season would be bad in he playoffs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not that long ago, I said that I liked him but picking him at 5 would be a mistake.

I got some heat for that comment, so I decided to look more into him to see if I was wrong or they were.

I had a small sample size when I made that comment and I kinda assumed his inflated scoring totals were because of Smith.

If he's the pick, I'd be happy with it. Michkov's still my pick, but I have no skin in the game. It's not my job or my money that's on the line and I would definitely understand if the Habs decided to pass on him.

I still think Brady is overrated though and that Leonard is the better prospect and probably the better NHLer.
I also think Leonard is a better prospect than Brady and that he's overrated.

One thing I would like people to note is that, this year is insanely deep in the first 25ish names. It's not any random year, Im fully confident in saying Leonard is a top 5 prospect in most years, maybe even higher. Same with Wood, Smith, even Dvorsky.

This year is not any year though, picking Leonard, even if he is amazing, would be a mistake 100%. For the simple fact that better prospects are available, not that he's some "uNsKiLLEd Plug"

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I like Leonard a lot and have a hard time choosing between him and Smith at the number 5 spot, but it's just funny to me how many of the passing plays he starts off only to see Perreault pull some pass that drops your jaw to the floor.

He's got his warts but man if he starts falling I'm calling teams right away.
I'm doing the same thing as I did last year. I'm watching games on a loop of the top 5 likeliest to go at our draft spot. Slaf gets a lot of flak here, sometimes deserved. But he compares very favourably to these guys, in puck control, stickhandling, offensive IQ. It should scare some posters that really think theses are problems with Slafkofsky.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I'm doing the same thing as I did last year. I'm watching games on a loop of the top 5 likeliest to go at our draft spot. Slaf gets a lot of flak here, sometimes deserved. But he compares very favourably to these guys, in puck control, stickhandling, offensive IQ. It should scare some posters that really think theses are problems with Slafkofsky.
My biggest concerns with Slaf are his release, tendency to get caught with his head down, and processing speed. I think he can make up for his processing speed a bit by being big and strong on the puck and able to hold onto it for that extra half second, I just have a hard time seeing how he puts up over 60 points in a year with his current offensive skillset.

The development team certainly have a lot of work ahead of them, I hope it works out because he could be a unicorn. I just worry he'll be a better Bryan Bickell.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Dvorsky's defensive acumen has been blown way out of proportion.

Just because he's strong and in good position most of the time doesn't mean he's a Selke caliber talent. See Tavares, Horvat.

Go read any scouting report of D-1 Dvorsky and his defensive game is always noted as something he needed to improve. And while he has, he certainly hasn't gone from a minus defender to an elite level one.

This year he had the 3rd worst +/- in the entire Allsvenskan (worst pace in the entire league had he played as many games as those below him) and worst on his playoff team (finished 10th/14). Then was healthy scratched in the playoffs. I'll tell you one thing, 6'1 200 lbs high-end defensive players do not get benched in the playoffs. If anything their role grows; coaches love that type of player.

The people who think he's the next Danault with high level scoring are in for a rude awakening IMO.

He has the ability to grow into a plus NHL defender, but even in comparison to his peers, is neither as good defensively as Moore or Danielson right now nor has the defensive upside of Moore or Yager long-term.
How many under agers are great defensively in men’s leagues? Against his age group, he’s clearly miles ahead of pretty much everyone else. He’s also elite in the face off circle which is a big part of the equation.

He projects as a big, physical two way center with defence and scoring.

It would be nice, but still starving for that elite game-changing talent up front. Sure you can point at a team like Vegas for not having the highest point producers, but I still don't see any of these listed guys as close to a Stone/Eichel caliber player.
Caufield?

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
My biggest concerns with Slaf are his release, tendency to get caught with his head down, and processing speed. I think he can make up for his processing speed a bit by being big and strong on the puck and able to hold onto it for that extra half second, I just have a hard time seeing how he puts up over 60 points in a year with his current offensive skillset.

The development team certainly have a lot of work ahead of them, I hope it works out because he could be a unicorn. I just worry he'll be a better Bryan Bickell.
I agree about head down and release. Processing speed might be. But the only one he's not superior than in the 6+s in this area is Benson.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I agree about head down and release. Processing speed might be. But the only one he's not superior than in the 6+s is Benson.
In fairness I was a lot lower on him last year than most (8th on my board), so he would likely be around 10-13 on my board this year.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
In fairness I was a lot lower on him last year than most (8th on my board), so he would likely be around 10-13 on my board this year.
He's a very comfortable 6 for me. I'd also have Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek and Gauthier before I would put our alleged options this draft.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It would be nice, but still starving for that elite game-changing talent up front. Sure you can point at a team like Vegas for not having the highest point producers, but I still don't see any of these listed guys as close to a Stone/Eichel caliber player.
Eichels pretty much a clear elite game-changing talent that the Habs do not possess.
I agree about head down and release. Processing speed might be. But the only one he's not superior than in the 6+s in this area is Benson.
Wood, Leonard, Smith have much higher processing speed than Slaf.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it a pointless exercise to try to list out two different draft years, it is impossible to remove the bias of knowing what players did in their D+1.

Cutter Gauthier is an example of someone who would have been lower on lists last year and would get put higher than in actuality because of how good his D+1 year was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad