HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
They actually were invited they just didn’t bother showing up. Which makes sense with the draft around the corner, why make two trips in such a short period.

The risks are completely overblown. The day the nhl tells ovi he can’t come play anymore is the day I believe drafting michkov is risky. The former will never happen. You may as well worry about smith doing his four years in college and going to go play for another team? Unlikely? Why even mention it? I dunno you seem to like bringing up far fetched ideas.

So all the Russian players were invited yet none showed up? I didn't realize that. This seems a bit odd.

Still scouts were not able to see Mitchkov in person. Does that not seem like higher risk? How about the fact that you won't be able to meet with him to work on his development?

You may be right that it is overblown, but you would have to admit there is some extra risk... and definitely some extra inconvenience.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
It's just not everyone is as intelligent as you. You are able to logically dissect the situation down to certainty so impressively. Unfortunately, I am not able to match your intellectual skill, and so I stupidly see risks where obviously there are none.
That’s okay that’s what a forum is for. So people can discuss their thoughts and have others opine on why they make or don’t make sense. In the case of Michkov the fear he won’t come over makes almost no sense. The war hasn’t impacted other Russians from coming over. No big Russian star has chosen not to come over before in decades. He himself has said he wants to come over. He’ll make more money in the nhl. Every team with Russian players would be in an uproar if nhl ever tried blocking them. The tournaments Russians aren’t allowed at are not because Russia has stopped their players from going but international bodies so no precedence for the KHL for example to ban its players from leaving. I genuinely think it’s misguided to continue to peddle this theory that it’s too risky to draft him for that reason.

At least the garbageyuk’s of this world insist he sucks at hockey as the reason why they don’t want to draft him which while flawed is at least something I can understand.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
He plays on the Globetrotters line this year, but he played in the 2022 u18s with US, and they did not.

He got 5 goals in 6 games, which was 3rd in scoring on the team behind McGroarty & Howard. He was a underager. They were not.

He didn't play with Cooley or Nazar either. He did it playing with Devin Kaplan & Cole Spicer.

He scored a goal in the Finals in 2022, and scored the Golden Goal in 2023.

It doesn't matter who he plays with. The kid scores. He has a Pacioretty type heavy shot, and a quick release. He works on his shot every day, so he's getting better at it. He can make plays when he needs to.

He doesn't rely on other people to help him score. He can probably do it with f***ing Dvorak & Gallagher on his line. Those 2 are where offense goes to die too.

All good points. Won't convince me to be cool with him over generational talent, but fair enough.

I would like to point out I do have Leonard at 6. Just have Michkov at 2 and think Leonard is a severe dropoff is all.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
So all the Russian players were invited yet none showed up? I didn't realize that. This seems a bit odd.

Still scouts were not able to see Mitchkov in person. Does that not seem like higher risk? How about the fact that you won't be able to meet with him to work on his development?

You may be right that it is overblown, but you would have to admit there is some extra risk... and definitely some extra inconvenience.
Having not seen him enough, not believing he has the right “character”, not believing the hype entirely and preferring another player… these are all perfectly valid reasons for HuGo to pass on him. I don’t personally buy any of them, and I would be disappointed, but at least they’re scouting and doing their job.

Reactions: WinterLion

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I listed Michkov's shortcomings in a response to one of your previous posts.
The 3 cherry picked soft ball critiques in the post where you told me the concerns I had don’t exist “by any factual metric”, before someone else posted reports corroborating many of the things I was saying…that post?

:laugh:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
That’s okay that’s what a forum is for. So people can discuss their thoughts and have others opine on why they make or don’t make sense. In the case of Michkov the fear he won’t come over makes almost no sense. The war hasn’t impacted other Russians from coming over. No big Russian star has chosen not to come over before in decades. He himself has said he wants to come over. He’ll make more money in the nhl. Every team with Russian players would be in an uproar if nhl ever tried blocking them. The tournaments Russians aren’t allowed at are not because Russia has stopped their players from going but international bodies so no precedence for the KHL for example to ban its players from leaving. I genuinely think it’s misguided to continue to peddle this theory that it’s too risky to draft him for that reason.

At least the garbageyuk’s of this world insist he sucks at hockey as the reason why they don’t want to draft him which while flawed is at least something I can understand.

Drafting is about risk vs reward. Personally I have Michkov in the 5-10 range. I think 2 things have happened. He has dropped his status from 2 years ago when he was neck and neck with Bedard because he had to be loaned to a lesser team to produce in the KHL... also he is a small winger which drops points on draft day. Oh and his dad died in a somewhat mysterious way... and nobody has even seen him in person in over a year. He is still probably close to the other top 5 guys... but when you add the risk, you need to also start looking at guys like Reinbacher, Leonard and Dvorsky and the gap just isn't great so personally I think some teams will take those other guys. Anyways these are just my thoughts... I love him and I would be very excited if we take him. I think Hughes will make a sound decision, but I'm not willing to pretend the situation is void of extra risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babyhockey

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017

There is extra inconvenience sure and slight risk in not having been able to see him in person. But that’s why he’s even available at 5th overall potentially. Let’s take advantage.

Attachments

• 1E9DB3BA-FB6A-4181-BE28-371965A2099C.jpeg
    1E9DB3BA-FB6A-4181-BE28-371965A2099C.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 5

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Having not seen him enough, not believing he has the right “character”, not believing the hype entirely and preferring another player… these are all perfectly valid reasons for HuGo to pass on him. I don’t personally buy any of them, and I would be disappointed, but at least they’re scouting and doing their job.

I think there are many many factors that go into scouting. Way more than we can be privy to unless we had a multi million dollar budget to research and interview. In any case, I'm expecting a splash from Hughes at the draft... it may well be Michkov. I think he will definitely do his homework on it.

There is extra inconvenience sure and slight risk in not having been able to see him in person. But that’s why he’s even available at 5th overall potentially. Let’s take advantage.

Yeah if they like him and feel sure enough about the player they are getting and the ability to get him over, by all means. I have no doubt they will draft him if they believe that is the case.

Reactions: Kaladin

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He plays on the Globetrotters line this year, but he played in the 2022 u18s with US, and they did not.

He got 5 goals in 6 games, which was 3rd in scoring on the team behind McGroarty & Howard. He was a underager. They were not.

He didn't play with Cooley or Nazar either. He did it playing with Devin Kaplan & Cole Spicer.

He scored a goal in the Finals in 2022, and scored the Golden Goal in 2023.

It doesn't matter who he plays with. The kid scores. He has a Pacioretty type heavy shot, and a quick release. He works on his shot every day, so he's getting better at it. He can make plays when he needs to.

He doesn't rely on other people to help him score. He can probably do it with f***ing Dvorak & Gallagher on his line. Those 2 are where offense goes to die too.
Smith did play at the U18 last year though. 2 goals, 2 assists in 4 games. First time i watched Smith.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
A lot of people on this board are for Michkov as the pick assuming he's there.

I think Leonard is 2nd.

Benson/Smith are 3rd.

Reinbacher is 4th.

Outside chance of Wood, which some seem to be fine with.

Dvorsky seems to be the least preferred possible selection.

Now, take a step back and tell me, if the habs could add all of these but 1, which one would it be ?

My guess, it's one of Benson/Smith/Michkov.

Benson - A little on the smaller side, but has some bite to his game and has some high-end skill.
Smith - Soft and doesn't really pay attention to the defensive side of the game.
Michkov -Might be 3 years until the habs get him, but has some bite to his game as well, but not the most attentive to the defensive side.

Now, further put your biases away.

The habs would need:
Reinbacher - Big, mobile RHD that could be an anchor for them on the backed for a decade.

Leonard - New age power forward, who has some underrated skill and plays a decent two-way game.

Michkov - Unreal talent and in the only tournament he and Bedard competed in, Michkov did better (points wise I believe)

Dvorsky- Centre with size, skill, two-way play and seems to elevate his game when it matters.

Benson - Guy sees the game with some great vision. Can pass, or score, has some bite and would be huge in a playoff game to see him go out there and just smoke someone.

Smith - Seems so cerebral out there. Nice hands, nice passing, nice shot.

Wood - Not the best skaters, but so big, so strong, so skilled.

Focus on the Reinbacher, Leonard, Smith, Benson and Michkov type. I think people who support the decision for these players are, well, all correct. This is the state the habs are in, in that the habs need all 5 of these players.

This is what f***ing sucks so much. It's not like there's 2 options because the habs are likely set on d, or they have a few good physical players with skill who might not be as good as Leonard, but they're in that mold.

The habs may and this is a big MAY have a player similar to Benson in Roy to a degree.

The habs may have a player like Dvorsky in Beck.

That's about it and I'm sure people won't agree, but I'm not saying they're better, but they might be lesser version. (Could honestly be better, but that's not a likely possibility and we won't know for a while)

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

I think Leonard is 2nd.

Benson/Smith are 3rd.

Reinbacher is 4th.

Now, take a step back and tell me, if the habs could add all of these but 1, which one would it be ?

Benson - A little on the smaller side, but has some bite to his game and has some high-end skill.
Smith - Soft and doesn't really pay attention to the defensive side of the game.
Michkov -Might be 3 years until the habs get him, but has some bite to his game as well, but not the most attentive to the defensive side.

The habs would need:
Reinbacher - Big, mobile RHD that could be an anchor for them on the backed for a decade.

Leonard - New age power forward, who has some underrated skill and plays a decent two-way game.

Michkov - Unreal talent and in the only tournament he and Bedard competed in, Michkov did better (points wise I believe)

Dvorsky- Centre with size, skill, two-way play and seems to elevate his game when it matters.

Benson - Guy sees the game with some great vision. Can pass, or score, has some bite and would be huge in a playoff game to see him go out there and just smoke someone.

Focus on the Reinbacher, Leonard, Smith, Benson and Michkov type. I think people who support the decision for these players are, well, all correct. This is the state the habs are in, in that the habs need all 5 of these players.

This is what f***ing sucks so much. It's not like there's 2 options because the habs are likely set on d, or they have a few good physical players with skill who might not be as good as Leonard, but they're in that mold.

The habs may and this is a big MAY have a player similar to Benson in Roy to a degree.

That's about it and I'm sure people won't agree, but I'm not saying they're better, but they might be lesser version. (Could honestly be better, but that's not a likely possibility and we won't know for a while)

This is a great post. I'll push back on a few small things.

-I don't think Reinbacher is necessarily as good as all that. Your description implies a Hedman and I get 3-4 vibes from him.
-We can definitely use a Leonard, but I think there are players like him available in other drafts and in other ways. However, he is the best option and most difficult "type" to get outside of the top 5 in my view.
-I like Wood, but that skating, man.
-I feel like Dvorskys are fairly common. I don't think Beck is as good as him, but he'll serve the same function.

Now, I think the skill and talent Smith and Michkov are the two most difficult types of players to acquire, with Leonard bringing up 3rd.

I don't think a #1 RD, which is the number one thing we need outside a point-producing forward, is available in this draft.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I think Leonard is 2nd.

Benson/Smith are 3rd.

Reinbacher is 4th.

The habs would need:

I have Leonard and Dvorsky there, but mostly because I think Smith will be gone before.

(If Michkov is not an option)

Leonard gets you a player that will be there in 2 years and produce quickly.
Dvorsky will take 3-5 years to come together but he might be a much bigger piece.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Probably too much hassle to get the visa and transportation + living expense for both the combine and the draft, so they opt for only the draft.

And getting the visa to the US can be a problem, just ask Kaprikov (he had issues last summer).

Reactions: WinterLion

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
This type of thing has never happened, and continues to not happen with Miroshnichenko and Duda. It's overblown fearmongering with no precedent or basis in fact.
Amd with what's happening in Ukraine you could be wrong as well....it could get even worse no guarantee

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I don't remember him there. Leonard was the one that caught my eye in any case. He was fun to watch.
Smith is probably going to be a good version of Jonathan Drouin. He'll put up really good numbers but seem invisible most of the time. Leonard will probably put up less intriguing numbers but after a game, you'll be like "damn he was everywhere".

Michkov will do both though so hope Habs pick him

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Smith is probably going to be a good version of Jonathan Drouin. He'll put up really good numbers but seem invisible most of the time. Leonard will probably put up less intriguing numbers but after a game, you'll be like "damn he was everywhere".

Michkov will do both though so hope Habs pick him
Drouin is my biggest fear with Smith, the pros and cons are too similar, it doesn't mean much but.........

Reactions: jrom and rochab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad