HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Last year the expected top 5 got drafted in the top 5, just in different orders than expected. I don't think those 5 players I mentioned will be the top 5 this year regardless of order.
Gauthier wasnt really the expected pick at 5 though, it just got out that the Flyers were going to pick him barring no huge faller.

Reactions: Vachon23

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Listening to elite prospects livestream replay. They're discussing why they have Leonard over Smith. I'm on the fence personally, but I wouldn't be surprised if NHL teams see it that way as well. If they see Leonard as a potential Iginla, he's going top 5.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Listening to elite prospects livestream replay. They're discussing why they have Leonard over Smith. I'm on the fence personally, but I wouldn't be surprised if NHL teams see it that way as well. If they see Leonard as a potential Iginla, he's going top 5.
Good to see that I'm not alone lol

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Ya I'd say there's a pretty good chance that: Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith/Michkov isn't the top 5 on draft day due to a one or two surprises.

On draft simulator I pushed the random fader to the max and team needs to the minimum and it gave me all the WTF moments you normally see at the draft.

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 5.48.50 PM.png

Bedard during interviews:

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Good to see that I'm not alone lol

The discussion is Mitch Brown and David St Louis, so its an interesting listen. I tend to agree on their point regarding Leonard. I see him as a sort of Iginla, but my enthusiasm about his game might be overshooting his potential quite a bit. He has so many tools to work with, with the physical side, compete and hockey sense to go with it. Michkov aside, there next four guys are still very high potential players. I do think he fits what the Canadiens are looking for in their draftees, so he's my prediction for the 5th pick, for now.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
My question about Smith is if he can actual have a motor in the NHL. It's not quite Shane Wright bad, but it is a concern, especially without the high end skating. Of course you look at guys like Suzuki and Sergachev who had "motor" issues in their junior career too. He's also a smart player so slowing it down to process what option is best is natural, you'd still like to see way more effort outside the offensive zone.

My question about Leonard is how durable will his play style at his size be. I have zero doubts that he's going to score minimum 60 points a season while being a force in every facet of the game, but for how long? You mentioned Iginla who was an impact player even at 38 years old, but Leonard could also not handle it like how Brown did from 27 years old (only 2 50+ point seasons) which is not good for a top 5 pick.

I'm still thinking we pick Reinbacher who will likely produce 30-40 points playing 25 minutes a night for a long time. We would be in pretty good shape rolling:

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron

There is no top 10 dman here, but would be similar to Vegas who in my opinion has the best 1-6 defense core in the league. You can confidently play that 3rd pairing unlike that Kulak-Romanov pairing we had in our run, have the option to go Guhle-Reinbacher as a pure shut down, and Hutson-Mailloux to try and generate some offense.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
My question about Smith is if he can actual have a motor in the NHL. It's not quite Shane Wright bad, but it is a concern, especially without the high end skating. Of course you look at guys like Suzuki and Sergachev who had "motor" issues in their junior career too. He's also a smart player so slowing it down to process what option is best is natural, you'd still like to see way more effort outside the offensive zone.

My question about Leonard is how durable will his play style at his size be. I have zero doubts that he's going to score minimum 60 points a season while being a force in every facet of the game, but for how long? You mentioned Iginla who was an impact player even at 38 years old, but Leonard could also not handle it like how Brown did from 27 years old (only 2 50+ point seasons) which is not good for a top 5 pick.

I'm still thinking we pick Reinbacher who will likely produce 30-40 points playing 25 minutes a night for a long time. We would be in pretty good shape rolling:

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron

There is no top 10 dman here, but would be similar to Vegas who in my opinion has the best 1-6 defense core in the league. You can confidently play that 3rd pairing unlike that Kulak-Romanov pairing we had in our run, have the option to go Guhle-Reinbacher as a pure shut down, and Hutson-Mailloux to try and generate some offense.
With Reinbacher I would roll those pairings:

Guhle/Engstrom Reinbacher

Engstrom/Guhle Mailloux

Hutson Barron/Xhekaj

Having Hutson on our 3rd pairing comes with less risks and you still can send him on the top PP unit.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Stephane Waite said at RDS that he watch the goalies of the 2023 draft and they are 3 goalie that he would like the Habs to consider in the 1-2nd round. In order of his preference they are:

1. Carson Bjarnarsson
2. Michael Hrabal
3. Alexander Hellnemo

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Any Goalie experts out there... or links to guys who are?

I'm curious about the tiers for the G's. I think a bunch will go top 50 this year and Habs will likely take one with one of their top 4 picks.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Stephane Waite said at RDS that he watch the goalies of the 2023 draft and they are 3 goalie that he would like the Habs to consider in the 1-2nd round. In order of his preference they are:

1. Carson Bjarnarsson
2. Michael Hrabal
3. Alexander Hellnemo

A little high for Hellnemo. I think he's there at our 3rd round pick. Maybe even 4th. He's already played Allsvenskan & SHL games this year, but he's a 2024 for real. He was passed over in last year's draft. Turned 19 in January.

Ideally, Montreal takes a goalie with their 2nd round pick, and with one of their 4th round picks.

I think our first 2 picks should be forwards, with our 3rd round pick being a RD. So, forward, forward, goalie, RD, then with 3 picks in 4th round: forward, RD & goalie.

This is based on who I think BPA will be on where we're picking. Deep 1st round forward class, but it does taper off. Good RD class in 2nd & 3rd rounds, and a deep goalie class throughout draft with the top ranked going late 1st through 2nd round.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A little high for Hellnemo. I think he's there at our 3rd round pick. Maybe even 4th. He's already played Allsvenskan & SHL games this year, but he's a 2024 for real. He was passed over in last year's draft. Turned 19 in January.

Ideally, Montreal takes a goalie with their 2nd round pick, and with one of their 4th round picks.

I think our first 2 picks should be forwards, with our 3rd round pick being a RD. So, forward, forward, goalie, RD, then with 3 picks in 4th round: forward, RD & goalie.

This is based on who I think BPA will be on where we're picking. Deep 1st round forward class, but it does taper off. Good RD class in 2nd & 3rd rounds, and a deep goalie class throughout draft with the top ranked going late 1st through 2nd round.
Personally, I want one of Bjarnarsson/Hrabal

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Personally, I want one of Bjarnarsson/Hrabal

We did interview Bjarnason, so he's on our radar. I imagine we interviewed Hrabal too, but haven't gotten confirmation. Hrabal could easily go top 25 though. Bjarnason is more likely to be there at our really late 1st.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Am I the only one who is high on Coulson Pitre with the 69th pick ?

We did interview Bjarnason, so he's on our radar. I imagine we interviewed Hrabal too, but haven't gotten confirmation. Hrabal could easily go top 25 though. Bjarnason is more likely to be there at our really late 1st.
@WeThreeKings said that he ask Anthony Martineau if they interview Hrabal and he said yes

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Am I the only one who is high on Coulson Pitre with the 69th pick ?

@WeThreeKings said that he ask Anthony Martineau if they interview Hrabal and he said yes

No, he definitely should be high on anyone's list at that spot but he's likely to go just before that. Late 2nd round to really early 3rd round.

Good to hear we interviewed Hrabal.

Reactions: Vachon23

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Fair enough, but Brown at his best was a 50 to 60 point guy, so he didn't have much room to fall before he stopped breaking 50 points. And he also had a weird career where his offense completely dried up for a few years before returning.

Other not huge guys who were physical or played a heavy game, and who had long playing careers, are Pat Verbeek (5'9), Dino Ciccarelli (5'10), Brian Bellows and Marty Lapointe (5'11), Owen Nolan and Marian Hossa (6'1).

From what I've seen and read, Leonard plays hard and is physical, but is more of a new age physical. I don't think he's a little ball of hate or human heat seeking missile, so I'm not too concerned about him destroying his body super young.

My question with Leonard is what is his realistic projection. If he's likely a legitimate top line offensive talent in his own right (so not just a guy who can easily slot into a top line), that's perfect. With the other facets he brings to the game, I don't think you regret picking him even if you miss out on a more talented, higher scoring first line guy (who brings fewer facets to the game). On the other hand, if he's more likely a legitimate second line offensive talent who can easily slot into a top line, that's where you can regret the pick or feel like you missed out, even if you love the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad