HF Habs: 2023 NHL Draft part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As prospects, Leonard's processing is way better though. I also think his playmaking is generally underrated. Slaf has the size advantage obviously. As the opposing team in 4 years, if I had to face Slaf, Dach and Leonard together I'd probably sh*t my pants.
Im sorry but absolutely no one is gonna be scared of Leonard

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Im sorry but absolutely no one is gonna be scared of Leonard
I'm not saying scared as in getting destroyed by a hit. I'm saying scared as in Slaf, Dach and Leonard should all be above-average forecheckers, relentless on the puck with the ability to finish off turnovers.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not saying scared as in getting destroyed by a hit. I'm saying scared as in Slaf, Dach and Leonard should all be above-average forecheckers, relentless on the puck with the ability to finish off turnovers.

We'd have a very menacing top 6 around Suzuki and Caufield.

Fowler with the early second is definitely a possibility.

Yep.

It does seem like they are gonna use that 2nd on a goalie, they might not be very aggressive unless they fly off earlier than expected.

They may just sit there and say, whoever is there between Hrabal, Bjarnason, Fowler and Augustine, we take who we like best.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Imagine wasting a high pick on a goalie when all you need is Adin Hill or cap dump Bobrovsky…

Reactions: Shred

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
We'd have a very menacing top 6 around Suzuki and Caufield.
Listen, I'd love to have the next 100 points player (maybe Michkov in that case) but for once, at least, I'm confident in management to create a contender in a way or another. There isn't only one way to do this. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, something I wouldn't have done with the previous regime.

Also, I've been saying this since 2019 and still believe it: Caufield is the best offensive player this team has seen since... idk at least Kovalev. He's only scratching the surface of his playmaking. We've seen what he and Suzuki could do with limited talent around them. I also think Dach develops into one hell of a player, probably better than Suzuki. Add Slaf, Dubois, Leonard, Guhle and Hutson... and Caufield could be our 100-pointer with this support.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Imagine wasting a high pick on a goalie when all you need is Adin Hill or cap dump Bobrovsky…

Imagine wasting the prime of two of the best players to ever play the game on Mike Smith, Jack Campbell and Stuart Skinner.

Listen, I'd love to have the next 100 points player (maybe Michkov in that case) but for once, at least, I'm confident in management to create a contender in a way or another. There isn't only one way to do this. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, something I wouldn't have done with the previous regime.

Also, I've been saying this since 2019 and still believe it: Caufield is the best offensive player this team has seen since... idk at least Kovalev. He's only scratching the surface of his playmaking. We've seen what he and Suzuki could do with limited talent around them. I also think Dach develops into one hell of a player, probably better than Suzuki. Add Slaf, Dubois, Leonard, Guhle and Hutson... and Caufield could be our 100-pointer with this support.

Slafkovsky also has a high point producing ceiling.. his skill at that size is really underrated.

We might not be the team that wins off the back of a 100 pt player, but we might be the team like Vegas or St Louis who wins off the sheer depth of talent and size.

@WeThreeKings

Since your from Halifax, would you use the 101 or 109 on Dylan MacKinnon ? Not the highest celling but I do think he's gonna be a solid #4-5

That's a fair price for him.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Slafkovsky also has a high point producing ceiling.. his skill at that size is really underrated.

We might not be the team that wins off the back of a 100 pt player, but we might be the team like Vegas or St Louis who wins off the sheer depth of talent and size.
The way I think they envision the team can't really be compared to any recent-ish team I think. The potential overall skill level is very, very high, just not concentrated in 1 or 2 players. In 2 years, it could be;

Caufield - Dach - Leonard
Dubois - Suzuki - Slaf

Hutson - X
Guhle - Barron

That top-6 can be hella strong, obviously based on Slaf's and Leonard's progress. There's no Jarnkrok in there. Add in great prospect depth (Mesar, Roy, Farrell, Beck, Heineman) for the middle-6, and at least 2 other top-15 picks...

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Imagine wasting the prime of two of the best players to ever play the game on Mike Smith, Jack Campbell and Stuart Skinner.

That's a fair price for him.
That's the thing about playoff hockey. It's like a game of chess. It's about minimizing mistakes and being able to exploit or take advantage of the few mistakes the opponent makes. Usually the team with the least amount of holes and players able to create off mistakes will win. This isn't the NBA where the 1st place team pretty much always wins or is in a position to win

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yep.

It does seem like they are gonna use that 2nd on a goalie, they might not be very aggressive unless they fly off earlier than expected.

They may just sit there and say, whoever is there between Hrabal, Bjarnason, Fowler and Augustine, we take who we like best.
I can see them liking Fowler the most. Clark cup MVP, U19 MVP, USHL goalie of the year, going to Boston College, etc. He just has a lot going for him.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Yeah teams need to invest heavily in the goaltending position like VGK did. You can't just get an Adin Hill for a 4th 2 drafts from now.
My thoughts as well. Throw some darts at a couple goalies past the 2nd round, sure. Otherwise, find one in FA or on the trade market.

Basically, there have been less than 7 true elite consistent goalies in the past 5 years, and the way to get one is luck.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let's just pretend the other goalie in the cup finals isn't a 2x Vezina winner and before that, Vasilevskiy went to 3 straight cup finals, winning 2.. and in one that he won against was a Hart and Vezina winning Carey Price.

Funny how the argument to not invest in a goalie is always crystallized by a team who wins it with a less than stellar goalie but we can't talk about the Leafs/Oilers consistently being undermined by their goaltending.. I guess having the best players in the world isn't a requisite, so we shouldn't invest at all in drafting highly skilled centers like McDavid and Draisatl?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Let's just pretend the other goalie in the cup finals isn't a 2x Vezina winner and before that, Vasilevskiy went to 3 straight cup finals, winning 2.. and in one that he won against was a Hart and Vezina winning Carey Price.

Funny how the argument to not invest in a goalie is always crystallized by a team who wins it with a less than stellar goalie but we can't talk about the Leafs/Oilers consistently being undermined by their goaltending.. I guess having the best players in the world isn't a requisite, so we shouldn't invest at all in drafting highly skilled centers like McDavid and Draisatl?

That's correct, because VGK also doesn't have highly skilled players like Eichel and Stone.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

And Dallas went in semi final with Jake Oetteiger

Every elite goalie in the past 15 years have at least bring their team in the final

Price
Lundqvist
Luongo
Rinne
Rask
Quick
Fleury
Holtby

Since 2010, only 2 Vezina winner trophy didn't went in the finals: Helleybuck and Shestorkin but both went at least to the semi final

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon

Sure, but a slightly above-average goalie probably also gets you there if you have a good enough team. Let's also not forget that Bobrovsky was hot trash for most of the last two years. Essentially, you just need your goalie to have a good 25-game sequence.

Also, it's mostly the fact that goalies are so unpredictable at 18yo. It's worlds away from drafting a forward or D, so why waste high picks on such uncertainty.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sure, but a slightly above-average goalie probably also gets you there if you have a good enough team. Let's also not forget that Bobrovsky was hot trash for most of the last two years. Essentially, you just need your goalie to have a good 25-game sequence.

Also, it's mostly the fact that goalies are so unpredictable at 18yo. It's worlds away from drafting a forward or D, so why waste high picks on such uncertainty.

Exactly right. You need good goaltending. You don't need an expensive goaltender who you selected with a high pick.

Reactions: NekkiChiconey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad