Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Well we know a few things that can give us an idea of the type of players we are going to draft.

We went hard for D last year so this year in a forward heavy draft we will likely draft mostly F.

We also have a gluttony of decent C prospects so we will likely draft players who can play mostly wing.

PV also highly regards size and compete so expect prospects to be over 6' likely 6'2"+ as a target.

If one of the big forwards drops out of the 1st round I bet we grab them.
1st Round Projected
Wood 6'3" RW/LW
Musty 6'2" LW
But 6'5" LW/RW
Honzek 6'4" C/LW
Stramel 6"3" C

2nd-3rd Round Projected
Halttunen 6'3" RW
Nelson 6'3" LW
Miedema 6'4" LW
Nordh 6'2" LW
Lipinski 6'4" C
Stancl 6'3" LW
Misiak 6'2" RW
Kumpulainen 6"2 LW

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well they all meet the minimum PV height requirement of 6'2".
Strbak I’m hoping is this years faber…. But meaner

Musty could be swapped for ritchie…. Both seem to be big and play that tough style we need, ideally can compliment our top 6 nicely

Fantilli is fantilli

Well we know a few things that can give us an idea of the type of players we are going to draft.

We went hard for D last year so this year in a forward heavy draft we will likely draft mostly F.

We also have a gluttony of decent C prospects so we will likely draft players who can play mostly wing.

PV also highly regards size and compete so expect prospects to be over 6' likely 6'2"+ as a target.

If one of the big forwards drops out of the 1st round I bet we grab them.
1st Round Projected
Wood 6'3" RW/LW
Musty 6'2" LW
But 6'5" LW/RW
Honzek 6'4" C/LW
Stramel 6"3" C

2nd-3rd Round Projected
Halttunen 6'3" RW
Nelson 6'3" LW
Miedema 6'4" LW
Nordh 6'2" LW
Lipinski 6'4" C
Stancl 6'3" LW
Misiak 6'2" RW
Kumpulainen 6"2 LW
I’d throw ritchie and gauthier on that list I think they fit stylistically , but arnt 6’2

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Strbak I’m hoping is this years faber…. But meaner

Musty could be swapped for ritchie…. Both seem to be big and play that tough style we need, ideally can compliment our top 6 nicely

Fantilli is fantilli

I’d throw ritchie and gauthier on that list I think they fit stylistically , but arnt 6’2
If they want Strbak I think they would need to take him at 33. I hold out little hope he would be available at 59.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If they want Strbak I think they would need to take him at 33. I hold out little hope he would be available at 59.
Oh definitely agree, he’s who I imagine we aim at 33.

Musty/ritchie would need to be a move to get back in first not using our 33.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
I’ll take it, I do hope to use some of those 3rds and 2nds from this year and next to move up the draft to get players we really want.

My dream is to come out of draft with

Fantilli
Musty
Strbak

Wouldn’t mind taking a shot at fowler if he is around for our 3rd
Later rounds
Speaking of G Fowler, who I don't know much of. There's also G Noa Vali from TPS in the later rounds, starting from 3rd round, but more likely 4th.

He gets to work with TPS goalie coaching, which is the finest in Finland and one of the few bright spots for the organisation. So many goalies have come through here in last few years. Georgiev, Luukkonen, Karejev (.928 sv% in KHL).

On 2nd round picks of 33, 59 and 60
There will hopefully be a few exciting forwards that will be available at 33. Musty however I'm not sure will be available, he's got that combination of size and skill that I think will make teams look past some of his weaknesses. If he is available I think you pick him at 33.

Others that might be available and fit the Ducks mold. Mainly guys that compete, play physical and have NHL size. Some of them even score!

Eduard Sale
Stock has been rocky but probably gone by 2nd

Samuel Honzek
Big, lanky playmaker, more of a project but he looks to have a lot of upside, probably gone by 2nd

Riley Heidt & Koehn Ziemmer I'm sure Ducks have seen these 2 play, given they rank right around their pick #33. Two scoring wingers, teammates of Ducks prospect Jaxsen Wiebe. Heidt is the more highly ranked of the two, maybe more dynamic than Ziemmer. Both have some bite and spark to their game. If either is available at 33, great.

Otto Stenberg
Captained U18s, good energy, pace, decent skills, but probably never going to be a top-6 scorer in the NHL, still with all the above mentioned gone, I wouldn't mind adding Stenberg. He likely makes it to the NHL as a dependable two way forward with 40ish point upside, and as such I think he will be valuable and something the Ducks lack at wing.

Charlie Stramel
Ranked late 1st to mid 2nd, disappointing season but has that size and skill at center position that teams covet. He has played RW but I'm not sure he's the kind of player the Ducks would be looking to add through draft.

Ethan Gauthier
Ranked again late 1st to early 2nd, one of the more consistently ranked players, probably because he himself is consistent. Physical despite not being the biggest guy, and he has that translatable scoring and playmaking touch along with being engaged. Likely gone by #33.

Calum Richie
Size, skill, center. Moves like Perry at times, and scores from the middle of the ice, slot and rebounds. Lots to like. Don't see him make it to #33.

Kasper Halttunen
From TPS rival HIFK, big skilled winger. HIFK coaches players specifically to stay engaged, stay physical, it's very much their identity. Has shown flashes of his offense in pro level in finland but scoring has not come yet. Likely available at 33, but I think someone more exciting will be aswell.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Later rounds
Speaking of G Fowler, who I don't know much of. There's also G Noa Vali from TPS in the later rounds, starting from 3rd round, but more likely 4th.

He gets to work with TPS goalie coaching, which is the finest in Finland and one of the few bright spots for the organisation. So many goalies have come through here in last few years. Georgiev, Luukkonen, Karejev (.928 sv% in KHL).

On 2nd round picks of 33, 59 and 60
There will hopefully be a few exciting forwards that will be available at 33. Musty however I'm not sure will be available, he's got that combination of size and skill that I think will make teams look past some of his weaknesses. If he is available I think you pick him at 33.

Others that might be available and fit the Ducks mold. Mainly guys that compete, play physical and have NHL size. Some of them even score!

Eduard Sale
Stock has been rocky but probably gone by 2nd

Samuel Honzek
Big, lanky playmaker, more of a project but he looks to have a lot of upside, probably gone by 2nd

Riley Heidt & Koehn Ziemmer I'm sure Ducks have seen these 2 play, given they rank right around their pick #33. Two scoring wingers, teammates of Ducks prospect Jaxsen Wiebe. Heidt is the more highly ranked of the two, maybe more dynamic than Ziemmer. Both have some bite and spark to their game. If either is available at 33, great.

Otto Stenberg
Captained U18s, good energy, pace, decent skills, but probably never going to be a top-6 scorer in the NHL, still with all the above mentioned gone, I wouldn't mind adding Stenberg. He likely makes it to the NHL as a dependable two way forward with 40ish point upside, and as such I think he will be valuable and something the Ducks lack at wing.

Charlie Stramel
Ranked late 1st to mid 2nd, disappointing season but has that size and skill at center position that teams covet. He has played RW but I'm not sure he's the kind of player the Ducks would be looking to add through draft.

Ethan Gauthier
Ranked again late 1st to early 2nd, one of the more consistently ranked players, probably because he himself is consistent. Physical despite not being the biggest guy, and he has that translatable scoring and playmaking touch along with being engaged. Likely gone by #33.

Calum Richie
Size, skill, center. Moves like Perry at times, and scores from the middle of the ice, slot and rebounds. Lots to like. Don't see him make it to #33.

Kasper Halttunen
From TPS rival HIFK, big skilled winger. HIFK coaches players specifically to stay engaged, stay physical, it's very much their identity. Has shown flashes of his offense in pro level in finland but scoring has not come yet. Likely available at 33, but I think someone more exciting will be aswell.
Gauthier is such a Madden pick.
Hard working forward that does all the little things right.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ritchie was one of our worst picks. Big and skilled with little motivation and low IQ.

He gets bumped along and every team that gets him sees his potential, but it is never realized.

That is the last type of prospect I want.

John
When a player gets an game misconduct penalty (or match penalty), a point and a roughing penalty I call it a Nick Ritchie hat trick.

He played the game like he's a high school bully with no brains.
Pro Scout Bob Murray working for Calgary happens to be Ritchies current team.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Ritchie was one of our worst picks. Big and skilled with little motivation and low IQ.

He gets bumped along and every team that gets him sees his potential, but it is never realized.

John
it's pretty easy to see why they drafted ritchie given his size and the #s he put up in juniors. he just never panned out. it happens

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Ritchie is one that hurts because of the players taken after him, some of whom are franchise players. Ehlers seems like somebody the Ducks would've liked and unfortunately, he was taken right before we picked.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ritchie is one that hurts because of the players taken after him, some of whom are franchise players. Ehlers seems like somebody the Ducks would've liked and unfortunately, he was taken right before we picked.
To me it was because he had alot of talent but the lack of brains and the icing on the top is that he took the most stupid penalties I've ever seen in a Ducks uniform that I can remember well.
2017 alone he had numerous match penaltys and game misconducts at the worst possible times in a game. Kid had a big temper and it got the best of him.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
To me it was because he had alot of talent but the lack of brains and the icing on the top is that he took the most stupid penalties I've ever seen in a Ducks uniform that I can remember well.
2017 alone he had numerous match penaltys and game misconducts at the worst possible times in a game. Kid had a big temper and it got the best of him.
His complete lack of discipline was really a problem for him, and all the stupid penalties. I don’t think he was a low IQ player necessarily in offensive zone, but definitely not the smartest, probably average. But his judgment with regards to being disciplined was atrocious.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
I see his ultimate ceiling as Nathan MacKinnon. So definitely a 40 goal threat, and if surrounded by a good supporting cast, he could hit 40-60 at his peak.
Wow, 60? Well, then Chicago takes the wrong player, I take a physical 6‘2 forward over 5‘9 that scores 65:)

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Calum Richie
Sorry everyone. When I saw Richie in a post I thought there was a comparison to Nick Ritchie. My bad.

Needless to say, any Richie without the "t" in the last name is probably an upgrade over either Nick or Brett.

John

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
I hope with one of our seconds we take a strong look at LW Nick Lardis. IMO the fastest skater in this draft and has one of the best shots too. 5’11 and 160 so pretty skinny but could easily put on some weight.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hope with one of our seconds we take a strong look at LW Nick Lardis. IMO the fastest skater in this draft and has one of the best shots too. 5’11 and 160 so pretty skinny but could easily put on some weight.
Hoping we go
2. Fantilli
33. Strbak

At 59/60 hope we look at guys like
Aydar Suniev- may be able to wait until 3rd round pick for him, BCHL player prob flies under the radar a bit... but think there is some potential there.
Carson Rehkopf- Prob a bit of a project, like pastujov but i like the upside if he pans out
Danny Nelson- Another middle 6 guy with good size.

I imagine well see a pretty forward heavy draft, specially in first 2 rounds... tho i do think well use 1 of those 2nds for a sturdy dmen.

Lardis might be another guy we can grab in 3rd

Last edited:

Anarchynate

Feb 28, 2023
Orange County
Hoping we go
2. Fantilli
33. Strbak

At 59/60 hope we look at guys like
Aydar Suniev- may be able to wait until 3rd round pick for him, BCHL player prob flies under the radar a bit... but think there is some potential there.
Carson Rehkopf- Prob a bit of a project, like pastujov but i like the upside if he pans out
Danny Nelson- Another middle 6 guy with good size.

I imagine well see a pretty forward heavy draft, specially in first 2 rounds... tho i do think well use 1 of those 2nds for a sturdy dmen.

Lardis might be another guy we can grab in 3rd
Why not take a shot at Etienne Morin? We would have the top 2 Q dmen in our system

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why not take a shot at Etienne Morin? We would have the top 2 Q dmen in our system
At what pick? Ive looked at him a bit and considered him... but he is a LHD so hell be locked behind
Fowler, Mintyukov, Lacombe, Hinds Zellweger

I suppose if he fell out of 2nd round id consider making a move to grab him, or if we added another late 2nd... but i dont think he really fills any holes or projects to pass up any of the guys we have. Im just more concerned with aiming at forwards in first 2-3 rounds.

Strbak being the exception because he fills a void for us.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin

John

He still played more NHL games than Logan Macmillan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad