2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wish I liked Barlow more. I just have trouble believing in guys who physically developed quickly playing in juniors. Dude (and he is a dude) is out there on the verge of plucking gray hairs out of his full beard. He has a pro ready body right now…what am I supposed to do projecting his work in juniors?

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
0 chance Savoie is worth 8 in this draft. He went 9 last year and this class is much better.
If the offer was made Michkov would have to be on the board. Then it's a case of #8 (Caps) deciding to accelerate their reload and obtaining a nearly pro-ready A-prospect at the cost of a potential superstar prospect who is several more years out and allows the Sabres to stagger the ELC's a bit more. TBH it might make sense for both teams.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If the offer was made Michkov would have to be on the board. Then it's a case of #8 (Caps) deciding to accelerate their reload and obtaining a nearly pro-ready A-prospect at the cost of a potential superstar prospect who is several more years out and allows the Sabres to stagger the ELC's a bit more. TBH it might make sense for both teams.
Washington will never let Michkov through.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I’m pumped to see who falls to us at 39 and 45. There is bound to be a couple great prospects available there. Really hoping we can grab Musty, Gulyayev, or Dragocevic with one of those picks.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m pumped to see who falls to us at 39 and 45. There is bound to be a couple great prospects available there. Really hoping we can grab Musty, Gulyayev, or Dragocevic with one of those picks.
I’m always excited about this. But man…last year has left a year long bad taste in my mouth. Luckily, if they go goalie again with one of them there are actually quality ones available.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did 2 mock drafts this morning:

13 - Wood RW
39 - Musty LW (!!)
45 - Gibson RD

13 - Benson LW
39 - Gibson RD
45 - Dvorak LD

I take it there is more on Andrew Gibson out there? I am still awaiting the arrival of my copy of the Black Book - this is why trading materials with someone else is always dubious. :biglaugh: When it's family, it's even worse. :laugh:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I take it there is more on Andrew Gibson out there? I am still awaiting the arrival of my copy of the Black Book - this is why trading materials with someone else is always dubious. :biglaugh: When it's family, it's even worse. :laugh:
my favorite thing so far is the first three scout quotes under Simashev:

“Don’t know who that is.” - NHL Scout, November 2022

“Who is that?” - NHL Scout, November 2022

“Stop asking me about Russian guys just so you can use my “Who?” quote in your f’ing book every year.” (laughs) I’ll change it up for you this year…I have no f’ing clue who that player is. Happy now?” - NHL Scout, November 2022

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
You wouldn't be moving 13, so you aren't really trading up. Just swapping Savoie for (insert favorite available 2023 draft prospect here).

I actually knew you would be a big no on moving Savoie, as you have been a huge supporter since day one, and I admire your consistency and conviction.

Personally, I think it is an intriguing proposal, and judging by the split reactions here, I do not think the value is that far off. I think I would make the trade for a few easons- 1. It is a good hockey trade. Sabres are dealing from a position of incredible depth to pick up a high-end prospect in a position of need. 2. It buys the team some time and alleviates a bit of the log jam coming - there is going to be no room for all these forwards, so something has to break. 3. Future value. Big D with high potential will always have considerable more value than small forwards.

There are definitely arguments to not make the deal, but I personally like the upside of the pick. Ultimately I agree and don't think Adams will trade Savoie, but it does make for an interesting discussion. ;)
I personally wouldn't trade savoie either lots of good traits only red flag is his height but his skating and overall competitive tenacity will be enough to bury that flag also once he adds more overall strength and balance could see him turning into mini-bull like player who gets himself and the puck into scoring areas he got much better as his shoulder recovered driving prime scoring areas

Reactions: Irie and Fjordy

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We’ve becomes so conditioned to removing the draft from everything else that it’s led to a bunch of fallacies.

1. That anyone knows who BPA is at almost any pick ever. Yeah Bedard is the safe BPA this year. Any pick after that? The idea that there is one guy who is it is a joke. No one knows.

2. That the draft shouldn’t have anything to do with organization building. It’s…the main way it’s done. See point one for the trade value. You tell me with a straight face that Rosen has more future value than the things that actually get overpaid for in trade. If you actually cared about the value of the pick you’d want to hit on 3 Tanner Jeannot’s not 3 Isak Rosen’s. Or 3 puck movie RHD. Doesnt even matter if they’re good. You’ll get your value.

3. Looking at the draft and ignoring fundamental truths like A. Players don’t move in this league and B. It costs a ton of these assets to acquire a good player when they do, cause all kinds of problems in discussing draft value. It’s all connected. And in our case…the 7th or 8th best young small skill forward in the system doesn’t hold the value of a player who offers our pipeline something it doesn’t have. And the funny part is…it doesn’t have the value to other teams either. Scarcity matters. And it should be factored in when you have drafted 21 forwards in three years.
RE: #1. Who is actually, literally, advocating that after the 1st or 2nd tier or whatever tier there is a definitive and inviolable ordinal ranking of draft-eligible players?

RE: #2. I've never read anyone advocate the draft is not the main way to build an organization. Your second point seems a straw man. It also seems to assert that scarcity of position and/or scarcity of physical attributes don't factor into player rankings. We know that other quantifiable factors essentially equal, a RHD will be valued higher than a LHD with the same evaluation grade. Similarly, the 6'4" 220lb winger will be valued much higher than the 5'9" 165lb winger with the similar skill sets and evaluation grades.

RE: #3. That seems perhaps another straw man to argue that, until the window of control of the current stable of Sabre forwards in the system is nearing expiration, BUF should only draft forwards 6'2" 210 pounds or larger, and right-handed d-men who are at least 6'4" 225 pounds or larger. Good luck with that for 17 and 18 year-olds. Why not just draft 20 year-olds who were previously undrafted and grew? Or re-draft unsigned 20 year-olds other teams didn't want (because the original drafting team went after size or scarcity disproportionately in their grading / ranking system).

I'm not arguing. I get it. You want BUF to far more strongly both rank and draft for organizational gaps vs. potentially having to overpay trading skill for size, or for RHD unicorns, or whatever.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I wish I liked Barlow more. I just have trouble believing in guys who physically developed quickly playing in juniors. Dude (and he is a dude) is out there on the verge of plucking gray hairs out of his full beard. He has a pro ready body right now…what am I supposed to do projecting his work in juniors?

In recent years I soured on guys like Ekblad, Crouse, and Draisaitl because of similar concerns, so I try not to get hung up as much on the physical maturity aspect as much because they all turned out fine.

These kids are all still going to get stronger, faster, and develop their hockey IQ. Barlow has an elite tool with his shot and he plays the game the right way. That's enough for me to justify taking him in the teens of a draft.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
For our 2nd round picks I'd be ecstatic with Danny Nelson and Beau Akey
Nelson is one of my favorite players in the whole draft. Fits the idea that Adams has of what a player can develop into.
I think RD and goaltending are now problems. Team toughness is the future issue. I’d take Barlow at 13 because he’s BPA and because he addresses a huge need.

———
Got the Black Book, love it for the scout quotes. It’s my go to publication because Edwards and his team actually travel to see games, and adjust rankings from feedback from scouts.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Bad signal

Andrey Nikolishin told how Matvei Michkov is evaluated in the NHL.

According to experts, the Russian striker is seen as a contender for the choice in the top 5 in the NHL draft.

“For me, he is first or second in terms of skill in the draft.

But in terms of character, in relation to teammates, coaching staff, management, fans - the person has now fallen very low in the eyes of all scouts, all managers. It has nothing to do with tragedy.

The information is collected about the player - about how he talks with partners, how he communicates with coaches, how he behaves off the ice. And here is Matvei...

You can reveal many nuances. I can show the correspondence when I wanted to meet him and, being a scout, ask a few questions, do an interview, how he answers.

I have never seen such disrespect for other people in my life, ”said Andrey Nikolishin, a former striker of the Russian national team.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Bad signal

Andrey Nikolishin told how Matvei Michkov is evaluated in the NHL.

According to experts, the Russian striker is seen as a contender for the choice in the top 5 in the NHL draft.

“For me, he is first or second in terms of skill in the draft.

But in terms of character, in relation to teammates, coaching staff, management, fans - the person has now fallen very low in the eyes of all scouts, all managers. It has nothing to do with tragedy.

The information is collected about the player - about how he talks with partners, how he communicates with coaches, how he behaves off the ice. And here is Matvei...

You can reveal many nuances. I can show the correspondence when I wanted to meet him and, being a scout, ask a few questions, do an interview, how he answers.

I have never seen such disrespect for other people in my life, ”said Andrey Nikolishin, a former striker of the Russian national team.
Yikes. Maybe this is why there’s the rumors of him falling.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’d love for Adams to send Olofsson to a team with 50% retention for a 3rd.

13: BPA
Trade up from 39 to try to get Nelson
Still have a 2nd and 3rd

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Would you give up a third for 1 year of Olofsson? We can’t get many to give up anything for 1 year of a player who is actually good and we actually need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad