2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
So you don't believe Savoie has value close to Dvorsky, Moore, Sale, Barlow, Danielson Wood, Etc.?

Because if you aren't taking a D, those are the likely options.

I think Savoie stacks up well against any of those likely top available F prospects at #8. With a good D+1 season and no more head injuries, his value is higher than it was last year, and the risk associated with picking him has definitely dissipated imo.
No. Benson is clearly better than Savoie and he might not even go top 10. That should tell you all you need to know.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Benson is why I always put a caveat on which smaller skilled forwards I talk about. If he’s at 13 (or Michkov) I don’t care that they’re smaller skilled forwards because they immediately become our top forward prospect. I don’t think that’s true of the crop of guys I expect WILL be there at 13. Perreault, Moore and Cristall…these are guys I don’t value higher than Savoie or Kulich. Admittedly I’ve been the high guy on Savoie and Kulich for over a year now…but nothing has happened to change my perspective on it. I don’t really want another guy in the middle of the deepest pool I have. It’s…really really deep already

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
No. Benson is clearly better than Savoie and he might not even go top 10. That should tell you all you need to know.

It is hypothetical, and the assumption is Benson is off the board.

If you would trade Savoie for the players I listed, Dvorsky, Moore, Sale, Barlow, Danielson Wood without hesitation, then ok, you have your opinion that Savoie is an inferior prospect to them and that is fair, there is no right or wrong answer as these are all opinions, but if you would not trade Savoie straight up for those guys, then I think the response is a cop-out to argue a tangent instead of participating in the discussion.

Benson is why I always put a caveat on which smaller skilled forwards I talk about. If he’s at 13 (or Michkov) I don’t care that they’re smaller skilled forwards because they immediately become our top forward prospect. I don’t think that’s true of the crop of guys I expect WILL be there at 13. Perreault, Moore and Cristall…these are guys I don’t value higher than Savoie or Kulich. Admittedly I’ve been the high guy on Savoie and Kulich for over a year now…but nothing has happened to change my perspective on it. I don’t really want another guy in the middle of the deepest pool I have. It’s…really really deep already

But would you trade Savoie for #8 if all the D were still on the board? That is the question.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
It is hypothetical, and the assumption is Benson is off the board.

If you would trade Savoie for the players I listed, Dvorsky, Moore, Sale, Barlow, Danielson Wood without hesitation, then ok, you have your opinion that Savoie is an inferior prospect to them and that is fair, there is no right or wrong answer as these are all opinions, but if you would not trade Savoie straight up for those guys, then I think the response is a cop-out to argue a tangent instead of participating in the discussion.

But would you trade Savoie for #8 if all the D were still on the board? That is the question.
Some of them, yes I would. Others, no. I think if Savoie was in this draft and people had a crystal ball about his D+1 season he goes in the 15-20 range. No chance he goes top 10.

His D+1 season is being pretty overrated. He played on an incredible team and still struggled in the first half, was left off the WJC roster, then picked it up in the second half when he was paired more often with Benson. His playoffs were good though, I can’t take that away from him. But his progress from DY to D+1 was fairly minimal imo. In my mind I thought if he has a shot to be a star he would have to out-produce Benson this year, and he didn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bendium

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Some of them, yes I would. Others, no. I think if Savoie was in this draft and people had a crystal ball about his D+1 season he goes in the 15-20 range. No chance he goes top 10.

His D+1 season is being pretty overrated. He played on an incredible team and still struggled in the first half, was left off the WJC roster, then picked it up in the second half when he was paired more often with Benson. His playoffs were good though, I can’t take that away from him. But his progress from DY to D+1 was fairly minimal imo. In my mind I thought if he has a shot to be a star he would have to out-produce Benson this year, and he didn’t.

He came back from a pretty bad shoulder injury. His progression over the season was exactly what we wanted and expected.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Hypothetical:

The draft goes the way most mocks have been predicting, and all the high end centers are off the board, none of the D have yet been drafted, and the Caps offer #8 for Savoie. Do you make that trade?

It buys a little time for the forward logjam and gives you the high-end D prospect the team is lacking, but at a steep price.
I make the trade for Michkov, Simashev, Reinbacher, Benson, and But (and in that order).

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
GMs don’t tend to get cute at the draft, especially near the top. No one is trading a player for Mitchkov at the draft, it doesn’t happen ever…especially a star player. I think the last one was Sedin?

On a related note, Bill Foley deserves his cup for being the only GM regularly making big moves. The league is boring because GMs are boring and don’t make bold moves. A big trade of a top prospect at the draft would be really fun.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This is just “we have conversations with everyone and want to be in on everything”

You can see for yourself how little action that leads to.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
This is just “we have conversations with everyone and want to be in on everything”

You can see for yourself how little action that leads to.
I know he never sealed the deals but we do have evidence of Adams being aggressive when trying to move up.

-The Matt Murray deal with Ottawa

-Trying to make a deal with 6 different teams to move up and select Kulich from that draft day Embedded episode.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
“Everyone is all Reinbacher, Reinbacher, Reinbacher and I like him, but gimme Simashev.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

I don’t know why the black book is quoting me and attributing it to a scout. I also don’t know how they got that microphone into my house.

I know he never sealed the deals but we do have evidence of Adams being aggressive when trying to move up.

-The Matt Murray deal with Ottawa

-Trying to make a deal with 6 different teams to move up and select Kulich from that draft day Embedded episode.
And Chychrun. And probably a half dozen more non draft things he’s tried and failed to do.

Being in on things doesn’t mean anything to me. Getting things done does.

Reactions: Faceboner

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
“Everyone is all Reinbacher, Reinbacher, Reinbacher and I like him, but gimme Simashev.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

I don’t know why the black book is quoting me and attributing it to a scout. I also don’t know how they got that microphone into my house.

And Chychrun. And probably a half dozen more non draft things he’s tried and failed to do.

Being in on things doesn’t mean anything to me. Getting things done does.
I know but it is nice to know that he's doing more then just "checking in"

Hopefully this is the year he gets a deal done at the draft

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Screenshot_20230613_002934_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I wish 😆

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I’m okay for trading up as long as they’re not heavily overpaying. Realistically would only like a trade up for Michkov.

All depends on price. I have faith in Kevyn

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
But would you trade Savoie for #8 if all the D were still on the board? That is the question
Nope

Adams don't trade Savoie or Kulich. He literally made them untouchable and I wouldn't trade any of them to raise 5 positions, that's an easy pass for me. You can take a great prospect at #13 or even go down in the draft and take a great prospect at #20.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Nope

Adams don't trade Savoie or Kulich. He literally made them untouchable and I wouldn't trade any of them to raise 5 positions, that's an easy pass for me. You can take a great prospect at #13 or even go down in the draft and take a great prospect at #20.
You wouldn't be moving 13, so you aren't really trading up. Just swapping Savoie for (insert favorite available 2023 draft prospect here).

I actually knew you would be a big no on moving Savoie, as you have been a huge supporter since day one, and I admire your consistency and conviction.

Personally, I think it is an intriguing proposal, and judging by the split reactions here, I do not think the value is that far off. I think I would make the trade for a few easons- 1. It is a good hockey trade. Sabres are dealing from a position of incredible depth to pick up a high-end prospect in a position of need. 2. It buys the team some time and alleviates a bit of the log jam coming - there is going to be no room for all these forwards, so something has to break. 3. Future value. Big D with high potential will always have considerable more value than small forwards.

There are definitely arguments to not make the deal, but I personally like the upside of the pick. Ultimately I agree and don't think Adams will trade Savoie, but it does make for an interesting discussion. ;)

Reactions: Ralonzo and HOOats

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You wouldn't be moving 13, so you aren't really trading up. Just swapping Savoie for (insert favorite available 2023 draft prospect here).

I actually knew you would be a big no on moving Savoie, as you have been a huge supporter since day one, and I admire your consistency and conviction.

Personally, I think it is an intriguing proposal, and judging by the split reactions here, I do not think the value is that far off. I think I would make the trade for a few easons- 1. It is a good hockey trade. Sabres are dealing from a position of incredible depth to pick up a high-end prospect in a position of need. 2. It buys the team some time and alleviates a bit of the log jam coming - there is going to be no room for all these forwards, so something has to break. 3. Future value. Big D with high potential will always have considerable more value than small forwards.

There are definitely arguments to not make the deal, but I personally like the upside of the pick. Ultimately I agree and don't think Adams will trade Savoie, but it does make for an interesting discussion. ;)
I don't like it and it's not just about Savoie, I just don't understand why? I mean, look at every draft, there are always top 10 prospects that aren't very good, and conversely, selected players in the 15 or 20 are better. You can put Kulich in place of Savoie and I won't make that deal either. If we are discussing here only Michkov at 8, then I am 100% sure that Washington will never miss Michkov and will not trade his choice. Michkov wants to Washington, Ovi wants Michkov to be in Washington, there is no other choice but to choose him.

I mean, if we were talking about a hockey deal, this is a different matter. Here I could tradee Savoie or Kulich. But it was supposed to be a young top 4 RD who we will sign for many years and he will be in our top 4.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Button and Musto have Simachev at like #38. Kevin is going to look like an ace when we grab Benson and bundle our 2 seconds for Simachev.

Reactions: Reddawg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad