2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also of note, the 2nd and 3rd rounds feature a lot of potential D and G targets that could really beef up the feeder system for either position. Let's not forget that at one point the team went from having too many defensemen to having almost none of any quality because the prospects turned into suspects. That can happen with forwards as well. It also didn't help that a perceived are of prospect strength was used repeatedly to make deals in other areas without being backfilled when they moved Myers, Sekera, McNabb, Webber, Pysyk and Zadorov over a span of 3 years (hell go back one more to them buying out Ehrhoff). They kept Risto and McCabe in all of that shuffle but moved 7 NHL level defensemen to address either draft pick acquisition or other players. They could be in a similar state if they start using forward prospects in deals in short order as well. We won't know immediately who might fully develop or if someone gets hurt or their development stalls.

There are going to be a lot of options for depth outside of round 1 regardless of who they decide is their top ranked player at the moment they make their selection.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If I believed this front office would trade top prospects for proven players I would approach everything that I believe about the draft completely differently.

As long as ELCs are cheap and proven players get paid…i don’t.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Some interesting ranking deviations in this one

I’m not that surprised by Simashev’s ranking tbh. If you believe that Simashev unlocks his offense you’re rating him no lower than like…second among D. It’s not on talent rankings to drop him for his KHL contract and the Russian factor.

He’s a guy who, if he does find production, is an exceptional prospect.

a guy who might only even be available to us at 13 because he can’t play in international tournaments. This guy goes to WJC and puts points on the board? With his size, skating and defensive ability? No one is talking about Willander.

Strummer53

Sep 11, 2021
I am liking Jakub Dvorak in R2. Definitely some bust there, but a big guy that can definitely play.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

So, I was listening to this episode of The Athletic Hockey Show on Saturday and they were talking about how far Michkov would fall and the way that Keith Jones and Danny Briere might want to build the Flyers from the blueline out.

I have talked a lot about how trading up using only draft picks is unlikely to happen. But, with the Flyers wanting to add D prospects, I wonder how open both sides would be to a deal before the draft like this:

7OV for 13OV + [D not named Dahlin, Power, or Samuelsson]

The Sabres would not be guaranteed to have Michkov fall to them at 7OV. But, it would put them ahead of Washington in the event that he does fall a bit. And if he doesn't, the Sabres should still be able to take a higher end prospect than they would get at 13.

Just a thought...

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Curious if Adams and Co. will feel free to jump for a goalie relatively early again like last year. Johnson signing means our D pipeline isn't completely bare and forward would be fine even if we didn't draft a single one this year. Goaltender might be just as weak as D in our system.

What are the odds that 45 would be the first goalie taken and who would be in the mix there?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Curious if Adams and Co. will feel free to jump for a goalie relatively early again like last year. Johnson signing means our D pipeline isn't completely bare and forward would be fine even if we didn't draft a single one this year. Goaltender might be just as weak as D in our system.

What are the odds that 45 would be the first goalie taken and who would be in the mix there?

Michal Hrabal is probably the top rated, and he’s expected to go in the 3rd.

Tomas Suchanek is in his D+1 and is a 2/3 rated guy.

For a late round choice, I’d look at Adam Rydal of Czechia, who had a strong season in the Karlovy Vary system (same system Kulich came from).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Michal Hrabal is probably the top rated, and he’s expected to go in the 3rd.

Tomas Suchanek is in his D+1 and is a 2/3 rated guy.

For a late round choice, I’d look at Adam Rydal of Czechia, who had a strong season in the Karlovy Vary system (same system Kulich came from).

Hrabal - Bob's last full first round list had him at 32OA. He isn't going to last until the 3rd.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m all in on Simashev. If he develops he’s the best D in the class and he’s already the best at actually defending. You want to make sure he becomes what he can? have his career spent next to an elite D surrounded by other Russian players in a system full of skill. We are building the exact place he becomes elite.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
At the WJC the Slovak goalie Adam Gajan was quite impressive. Wonder if a team throws a late round flier on him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don’t think Simashev makes it to 13.

Hockey Prospect had him 7th overall in their January ranking, and they talk to NHL scouts while on the road. I think they’ve got a more informed list.
He is not very high on Bob's list, and his list is usually more real than the rest, plus the Russian factor. Yurov gone only at 24 in the last draft, although he was quoted much higher. But I think there is always a chance that it will be taken before our choice, because it is really very good.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I was thinking the same thing…but then saw that Bob had him pretty low, and he also theoretically talks to scouts.
He is not very high on Bob's list, and his list is usually more real than the rest, plus the Russian factor.
Yurov gone only at 24 in the last draft, although he was quoted much higher.
I’m good if everyone gets nervous and doesn’t pick him. He’s a shutdown defender who skates well, and getting that type of player at 13 would be amazing.

If he could become a Bouwmeester type defender, what an add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad