2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I feel comfortable with the risk of Simashev coming over given the pipeline they're building of Russian prospects. The "problem" is that you are going to wait a few years to sign him and have no control over his development.

That said...he's a big great skater who is the best defender in the class. I dont see a low ceiling at all with him. I see a potential great defender with size that has nothing but a high ceiling to add an offensive side. The way he skates...it isn't crazy to think he unlocks it. Especially in a system like ours where speed speed speed. The fact that he's been punching above his weight as a defender makes him pretty much exactly what we want (other than handedness).

If Samuelsson could have skated like him his draft year...he goes top half of the 1st round.
Simashev is in a good team for development and with a good coach, yes, they won’t control his development for the time being, but I don’t worry about that. Loko is a good team and system for that.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I get that. But are we really going to take away the option of having one of Dahlin and Power out there for 45 minutes a night? Because as much as I think Power's partner has to have offensive skill to play off of him...I don't want Power having to play safety for someone either. Samuelsson can do that...but ASP has to be really great to make it worth it. Really great. I dont see really great.

I'd rather have Dahiln and someone on the top pair and Power and someone on the second pair then have them together. Which is the only way I see ASP working here over the course of our 3 D's tenure.

It is fun to rectify people saying we need to improve team defense in front of the goalie but no one wants to move skill forwards for defensive forwards...and also draft ASP at 13? Good luck future goalies.
Long term, Power - ASP works for me. Pellikka brings great speed, and eventually Power's size will be something he'll use in front of the net. He did in college.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I get that. But are we really going to take away the option of having one of Dahlin and Power out there for 45 minutes a night? Because as much as I think Power's partner has to have offensive skill to play off of him...I don't want Power having to play safety for someone either. Samuelsson can do that...but ASP has to be really great to make it worth it. Really great. I dont see really great.

I'd rather have Dahiln and someone on the top pair and Power and someone on the second pair then have them together. Which is the only way I see ASP working here over the course of our 3 D's tenure.

It is fun to rectify people saying we need to improve team defense in front of the goalie but no one wants to move skill forwards for defensive forwards...and also draft ASP at 13? Good luck future goalies.

You've moved from assessing the talent available and grading it based on the player themselves into the shading of what you believe may or may not happen. We don't yet know what these players are going to be when they finish curing or what circumstances will happen along the way between now and when a draftee is ready.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Long term, Power - ASP works for me. Pellikka brings great speed, and eventually Power's size will be something he'll use in front of the net. He did in college.

I would disagree, he plays right now like he did in Michigan. Blankenburg did a lot of the net-front combat that freed Power up to do other things. Power was more committed to his positional game and being near the right places on the ice than say Luke Hughes, but we hope Power becomes more effective at engagement with added strength, yet it hasn't been a feature of his game.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
signing Johnson, change anyone's mind on who they should pick (in the first round) ?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Providing the beefy net-front screen on the PP, Rochette makes it 4-1. That's one of the more interesting parts of his year in Quebec - Roy uses him as the net front guy at times on the first powerplay.
PP2 with Power carrying the zone entry then setting up in front, with ASP on the point? :sarcasm: OP has the hands and the frame for it...

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Athletic podcast talked about their mock draft with the questions you’d expect when we were given Perreault. like…aren’t small skill forwards all they draft high? And…don’t they need defense? Our pick is difficult to find a combination of both value in the pick and organizational fit. Especially when Willander now jumps us in a lot of places.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
signing Johnson, change anyone's mind on who they should pick (in the first round) ?
Nope.

We still need more D-men in the system, both lefties and righties. There's no guarantee that the Johnson/Novikov/Komarov/Lindgren quartet will pan out, and anyone we pick is several years away, where there could be significant NHL roster turnover anyways. (We also need more goalies in the system, but that's not something to be solved in the first round this year).

But first round was always going to be BPA anyways. Drafting for need sounds like a good idea, but it's more important to get someone you believe will be an impact NHL player.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If the best player on the board is another small skill winger…I’d like to explore need vs redundancy

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Well, if Benson accidentally falls into our hands, then...
That’s kind of what I mean. If there’s a player who plays skill forward who is off the charts sticking out of the board…of course take them. He could be the best forward prospect in the pipeline.

But what if you’re sitting there and the top guy on your board is a guy 165 pound winger that they don’t like as much as guys they already drafted. And the guy behind him a spot or two is a power forward they don’t have or a rhd they don’t have.

I‘m not saying reach to the end of the round to fill organizational holes. But I don’t think you should be held hostage by a slightly higher evaluation on a position you have a half dozen high end prospects of either. Especially because the concept of BPA presumes you’re always right and know who the best player is. No one does.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
No, Sabres still need to gather more Def and Gk prospects. These top 3 picks are for 3-4 years down the line. I'd say only pick a forward if they're well above grade on your draft board.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That’s kind of what I mean. If there’s a player who plays skill forward who is off the charts sticking out of the board…of course take them. He could be the best forward prospect in the pipeline.

But what if you’re sitting there and the top guy on your board is a guy 165 pound winger that they don’t like as much as guys they already drafted. And the guy behind him a spot or two is a power forward they don’t have or a rhd they don’t have.

I‘m not saying reach to the end of the round to fill organizational holes. But I don’t think you should be held hostage by a slightly higher evaluation on a position you have a half dozen high end prospects of either. Especially because the concept of BPA presumes you’re always right and know who the best player is. No one does.
I'm also sure there are many cases where a GM and his front office is torn between 2-3 players and they don't have one clear BPA favorite. So in this case, a factor like type players and positions can play.

It’s almost always BPA by tier. So I’d bet Adams has had those choices anyway all along.
And if there is no BPA? So they have three players for example and they like all three equally, one defenseman, another big forward and a third small but skilled winger who is like boom or bust. I'm sure things like this happen in every draft and there are many.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The Hockey News agrees with our board vote

this was from a who they would pick for the team and who they think the team will pick mock draft

13. BUFFALO SABRES​

Team Pick: Dmitri Simashev, D | Our Pick: Dmitri Simashev, D

The Buffalo Sabres are at a point in their rebuild where they can take a chance on a player, and Simashev is one heck of a player to take a chance on. He has a robust defensive game, an understanding of how to use his size effectively, and smooth and crisp skating ability. At 6-foot-4, the tools that Simashev possesses are intriguing. His offensive game shows up in flashes. When you watch him, he looks like a player who should have more production. Maybe in a better system, he could unlock another level as well. There’s a world where he is the best defender in the 2023 class. - Tony Ferrari

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm also sure there are many cases where a GM and his front office is torn between 2-3 players and they don't have one clear BPA favorite. So in this case, a factor like type players and positions can play.

And if there is no BPA? So they have three players for example and they like all three equally, one defenseman, another big forward and a third small but skilled winger who is like boom or bust. I'm sure things like this happen in every draft and there are many.
That’s why teams will typically go BPA by tier. Team will typically get:

A couple or group of players with similar grades. Then is comes down to what scouts think, the advanced stats indicate, and what the state of the prospect pool is.

Or

Someone unexpected falls from a higher tier and you take him.

Of note, it’s the individual team’s tier, not ours or another publication’s list.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
The Hockey News agrees with our board vote

this was from a who they would pick for the team and who they think the team will pick mock draft

13. BUFFALO SABRES​

Team Pick: Dmitri Simashev, D | Our Pick: Dmitri Simashev, D

The Buffalo Sabres are at a point in their rebuild where they can take a chance on a player, and Simashev is one heck of a player to take a chance on. He has a robust defensive game, an understanding of how to use his size effectively, and smooth and crisp skating ability. At 6-foot-4, the tools that Simashev possesses are intriguing. His offensive game shows up in flashes. When you watch him, he looks like a player who should have more production. Maybe in a better system, he could unlock another level as well. There’s a world where he is the best defender in the 2023 class. - Tony Ferrari

I like everything that I'm seeing about him. Great puck defense, skating can turn on a dime and break ankles and lays crushing hits. Like if Samuelsson could skate and had softer hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad