2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Anyone see Buttons list for May. I get he bases it off of international play but he has lost his mind

Benson at 14
ASP at 5
Willander at 8
Reinbacher at 24
Moore at 17
Photo-2020-02-24-9-43-50-AM-scaled.jpg

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I mean, how are the Sabres not the perfect destination for Michkov? Young, strong forward depth that can wait for him to arrive and a growing contingent of Russian prospects in the system to welcome him.

How far does he need to fall before we make a move up? Or maybe the better question, at what point would a team be willing to move back to #13 to give us the opportunity? I think if he makes it past the Habs at #5 its time To start making some calls.

Reactions: Slangston

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean, how are the Sabres not the perfect destination for Michkov? Young, strong forward depth that can wait for him to arrive and a growing contingent of Russian prospects in the system to welcome him.

How far does he need to fall before we make a move up? Or maybe the better question, at what point would a team be willing to move back to #13 to give us the opportunity? I think if he makes it past the Habs at #5 its time To start making some calls.

If by some twist he does slip out of the top 5, what is stopping say Washington from snapping him up at 8 at worst to be the player Ovi passes the baton too? Hell, Arizona could take him at 6 just to prolong the never ending rebuild. Philly is weird so I don't think they take him because too many ankle breakers are still in that organization, pulling strings subtle or not, but I just can't see him lasting past the Caps.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
If by some twist he does slip out of the top 5, what is stopping say Washington from snapping him up at 8 at worst to be the player Ovi passes the baton too? Hell, Arizona could take him at 6 just to prolong the never ending rebuild. Philly is weird so I don't think they take him because too many ankle breakers are still in that organization, pulling strings subtle or not, but I just can't see him lasting past the Caps.
I’m not suggesting he slips to #13. I’m asking at what point do we consider moving up and who might consider moving down?

I guess you answered that in an indirect way. Yes, anyone ahead of us could take him but there are both waiting times and Russian risks involved that is allowing him to slip past #2/3 in the first place.

If you think Washington definitely takes him, and I’m not arguing against that, then we would have to look at Arizona and Philadelphia. Buffalo, more than Arizona and Philadelphia, has the organizational depth at forward to afford a wait and the Russian contingent to add support to his transition to North America. IF teams are hesitant to take the risk, I feel like Buffalo is a team that should consider taking advantage of a fall.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY

I honestly think he's the best D prospect in the draft and it isn't close. Would be my #1 choice at 13 unless by some miracle Michkov keeps falling

I’m not suggesting he slips to #13. I’m asking at what point do we consider moving up and who might consider moving down?

I guess you answered that in an indirect way. Yes, anyone ahead of us could take him but there are both waiting times and Russian risks involved that is allowing him to slip past #2/3 in the first place.

If you think Washington definitely takes him, and I’m not arguing against that, then we would have to look at Arizona and Philadelphia. Buffalo, more than Arizona and Philadelphia, has the organizational depth at forward to afford a wait and the Russian contingent to add support to his transition to North America. IF teams are hesitant to take the risk, I feel like Buffalo is a team that should consider taking advantage of a fall.
He'd be as easy of a #2 pick as Bedard is the #1 pick if not for the 3 year contract and the war going on over there. I'm all in on trading up for him if he makes it past the Habs at #5.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If you are north of the border you can hear Button's take on how high ASP can go. I hope he goes top 12.

Hockey Draft Pick Transactions

2022: SJ traded 11 to Arizona for 27, 34, & 45

2021: Dallas traded 14 to Detroit for 22, 47, & 137

Edmonton traded 19 to Minnesota for 21 & 89

2020: Calgary traded 19 to NYR for 22 & 71

2019: Philadelphia traded 11 to Arizona for 14 & 45

2018: NONE

2017: NONE

2016: NJ traded 11 to Ottawa for 12 & 80

Philadelphia traded 18 & 79 to Winnipeg for 22 & 36

2015: NONE

2014: SJ traded 20 & 179 to Chicago for 27 & 62

2013: Detroit traded 18 to SJ for 20 & 58

If the Sabres are going to get a top 10 pick, they likely need to trade a significant roster player for a top 5-7 pick prior to the draft starting. And I doubt fans would want to give up the calibre of roster player that it would require to get a high enough pick to land Michkov.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

If you are north of the border you can hear Button's take on how high ASP can go. I hope he goes top 12.

Hockey Draft Pick Transactions

2022: SJ traded 11 to Arizona for 27, 34, & 45

2021: Dallas traded 14 to Detroit for 22, 47, & 137

Edmonton traded 19 to Minnesota for 21 & 89

2020: Calgary traded 19 to NYR for 22 & 71

2019: Philadelphia traded 11 to Arizona for 14 & 45

2018: NONE

2017: NONE

2016: NJ traded 11 to Ottawa for 12 & 80

Philadelphia traded 18 & 79 to Winnipeg for 22 & 36

2015: NONE

2014: SJ traded 20 & 179 to Chicago for 27 & 62

2013: Detroit traded 18 to SJ for 20 & 58

If the Sabres are going to get a top 10 pick, they likely need to trade a significant roster player for a top 5-7 pick prior to the draft starting. And I doubt fans would want to give up the calibre of roster player that it would require to get a high enough pick to land Michkov.
I appreciate the comps. Definitely not trading prior to the draft.

I’m talking about Michkov being on the board and Arizona or Philadelphia get cold feet. They probably also need to think they can get a player they like at #13. It would be a hefty price, but how often does a top #2 talent drop and possibly be available for trade?

We’re hopefully out of that window for the foreseeable future. Trading #13, both 2nds and say a Peterka? Might not be enough but I’m at least asking.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I’m talking about Michkov being on the board and Arizona or Philadelphia get cold feet. They probably also need to think they can get a player they like at #13. It would be a hefty price, but how often does a top #2 talent drop and possibly be available for trade?

We’re hopefully out of that window for the foreseeable future. Trading #13, both 2nds and say a Peterka? Might not be enough but I’m at least asking.
It has been 15 years since a team traded back from a top 10 pick merely for picks while on the clock.

I doubt that it is a scenario that Adams is likely to pull off if he's even interested in such an idea. Those kinds of trades just do not happen in the NHL anymore.

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Within the unlikeliness of a move up, Arizona also has pick 12OA right in front of the Sabres. I don't think just picks moves the needle for them at 6OA to come down to have both 12 and 13.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Big fan of one of the RDs either by draft or trade, but man would it be nice to get the influx of Michkov in a few years. By then our prospects should be graduates and we (hopefully) only have later draft picks. Would be the last elite core member. Would pay a lot imo to move up if he falls.

Reactions: Fjordy

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Am I crazy for thinking I’d be very happy with Willander at 13? Seems to be rising up lists the last couple weeks. Smart, good skating, two way RD
Hes getting mocked by the people who get things right to go even higher now. We’ll see what happens when teams start solidifying their lists and the whispers mean more…but he’s rising like a rocket

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Hes getting mocked by the people who get things right to go even higher now. We’ll see what happens when teams start solidifying their lists and the whispers mean more…but he’s rising like a rocket
Yeah there is gonna be a very good chance he is gone before we pick, seems to be trending into the top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad