2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You'd probably have to add one of Power, Cozens, Savoie+, Quinn++ to the 13th for that to happen.

Or something silly like 1st, Rosén, Kulich, Östlund.

Michkov isn't worth less if he goes outside top 5.

The reason Michkov might not go 2nd is because of the insane top of the draft.
Leo Carlsson is not as hyped as Dahlin but he's that level of prospect. Best swedish forward in 15 years and he's pretty much just a guy in the top 5 mix.
If a player does not visit the draft combine, can he fall even lower? Can this scare away teams or is this normal?

Reactions: Club

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He talks about smart, fast, competitive players. There also seems to be a bit of preference to guys who perform well at the U18's (Rosen, Ostlund, Kulich, Politpov, Novikov - Lyckasen was at the U18s but struggled) but that's not universal. If we went fully with the lean toward Swedes, Stenberg would be right in their wheelhouse (@Doug Prishpreed called that months ago) and Dower Nilsson might be too (who I don't care for).

Yes some diversification is necessary yet this draft is still chock full of smaller, smart, fast, competitive players.
Stenberg has other qualities that Adams seems to like too, not just the Swedish thing. Relentless worker, a leader on all of his teams, goes to dirty areas, fast, etc.

I've actually been trying to find out why he isn't a top 10 pick since he looks so good to me. Is it just consistency in his results? He was injured, which could explain some of his dozen or so down games after the injury, but otherwise he doesn't even seem all that inconsistent.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Stenberg has other qualities that Adams seems to like too, not just the Swedish thing. Relentless worker, a leader on all of his teams, goes to dirty areas, fast, etc.

I've actually been trying to find out why he isn't a top 10 pick since he looks so good to me. Is it just consistency in his results? He was injured, which could explain some of his dozen or so down games after the injury, but otherwise he doesn't even seem all that inconsistent.

Having watched some SHL games with him, there are times where he is just completely invisible. Now, that's at a men's level and that has to be taken into account, but it's understandable for doubt just based on his SHL play.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Does the lack of an IIHF transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia prevent, e.g., Washington or Arizona from drafting Michkov and paying SKA St. Petersburg or the KHL money to "buy out" Michkov?

Would it prevent, e.g., Alex Ovechkin, (or, next off-season, new FA Coyote Auston Matthews) from personally paying the owner of SKA St. Petersburg to release Michkov?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Having watched some SHL games with him, there are times where he is just completely invisible. Now, that's at a men's level and that has to be taken into account, but it's understandable for doubt just based on his SHL play.
Rosen was invisible in the SHL at his age too, along with some recent stars, no? It doesn't looks like he got many minutes at all, it's pretty easy to be invisible.

Why is he invisible? Just coasting, or plodding? Do you think the coaches might be asking him to play conservatively or anything like that?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Does the lack of an IIHF transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia prevent, e.g., Washington or Arizona from drafting Michkov and paying SKA St. Petersburg or the KHL money to "buy out" Michkov?

Would it prevent, e.g., Alex Ovechkin, (or, next off-season, new FA Coyote Auston Matthews) from personally paying the owner of SKA St. Petersburg to release Michkov?
I'm not sure if this is possible. In general, were there such precedents or not ever? But SKA is not the team that will need money. They are more likely to keep the talent, although Michkov has not been treated very well at SKA so far, but he has no choice.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I added Nate Danielson to my list, he seemed to me a very interesting player.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I thought Carolina just did this with their Russian defenseman. Maybe I'm remembering wrong

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I believe that most KHL deals with buyouts have a clause where the team has to agree to the buyout.

And I cannot imagine that SKA would agree to a buyout.

Reactions: Fjordy

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If a player does not visit the draft combine, can he fall even lower? Can this scare away teams or is this normal?
It's not really normal but understandable for sure. The only thing that would make him drop from 2 is his contract and geopolitics.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hmm, now I don’t understand a little what Carolina did with Nikishin? Because he will play for SKA for at least one more year.

There was something about them trying to pay off Spartak when he was with them.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I was thinking Nikishin but I was wrong. Looks like his KHL contract just ended.
Nope, Nikishin still has a contract with SKA next season.
213213.png

Reactions: Matt Ress

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

The player has to buy themselves out of the deal, and cannot use third party money to do that (legally, of course). So Michkov would need to use his own already earned money to do that.

As to how that buyout would work, I have no idea. It could be like a NHL buyout, the exact same length as the actual contract is, or a lump sum of the value of the entire contract amount.

Regardless, I doubt Michkov has the monetary amount in his bank account to pay for the latter two options. He also cannot use his NHL contract money to fulfill either of those two.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rosen was invisible in the SHL at his age too, along with some recent stars, no? It doesn't looks like he got many minutes at all, it's pretty easy to be invisible.

Why is he invisible? Just coasting, or plodding? Do you think the coaches might be asking him to play conservatively or anything like that?

Yep, that's the question. I tuned to specifically watch Stenberg for a game and he got his first SHL goal (odd flip out from behind the net, trying to get the puck to Lundqvist and it went in). He went through a very good system and was getting minimal minutes. I trust Ronnberg/Dahlin more than most, so in that regard, the organizational structure that he came through is significantly better than Rosen going through Leksands.

Then comes the thought that he's a lot more of the same. They have to find some differentiation in their prospects - David Edstrom, his Frolunda and U18 teammate for example is a much more intriguing prospect for me right now if he were to last to 39/45 because he features a different set of skills that aren't just him being taller/longer (though that's part of it). I'm sure they have a lot more views on Stenberg (and Dower Nilsson and Edstrom and even Kristian Kostadinski) with keeping up on Berndtsson's J20 progress since they are all on that team. (And then it gets weird with Martin Dahlin being the Frolunda J20 coach... like, do they ask Ras' dad for extra input? :laugh: )

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have no idea but if I was a rebuilding GM at no 4 or 5 I'd probably pick him and just tank two more seasons.
Whatever happens I hope he doesn't end up with Montreal

I could handle it if he's in the East if he goes to the Caps. Montreal has so much obfuscation about their potential pick right now, who knows?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yep, that's the question. I tuned to specifically watch Stenberg for a game and he got his first SHL goal (odd flip out from behind the net, trying to get the puck to Lundqvist and it went in). He went through a very good system and was getting minimal minutes. I trust Ronnberg/Dahlin more than most, so in that regard, the organizational structure that he came through is significantly better than Rosen going through Leksands.

Then comes the thought that he's a lot more of the same. They have to find some differentiation in their prospects - David Edstrom, his Frolunda and U18 teammate for example is a much more intriguing prospect for me right now if he were to last to 39/45 because he features a different set of skills that aren't just him being taller/longer (though that's part of it). I'm sure they have a lot more views on Stenberg (and Dower Nilsson and Edstrom and even Kristian Kostadinski) with keeping up on Berndtsson's J20 progress since they are all on that team. (And then it gets weird with Martin Dahlin being the Frolunda J20 coach... like, do they ask Ras' dad for extra input? :laugh: )
Yeah, I agree that he's more of the same and probably shouldn't be our first choice at 13. I was more curious about Bob's ranking, and people like that who have him in the 20s. Just seems low for such a solid player, but I'm usually wrong on these things in the long run.

How did I not know that Dahlin's dad was the coach at FrolundaJ20? That's really cool.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, I agree that he's more of the same and probably shouldn't be our first choice at 13. I was more curious about Bob's ranking, and people like that who have him in the 20s. Just seems low for such a solid player, but I'm usually wrong on these things in the long run.

I'm curious about some of that too. Or why was Stenberg ranked above Dower Nilsson going into the U18's (and he's going to be a lot higher after he kicked the crap out of that tournament).

How did I not know that Dahlin's dad was the coach at FrolundaJ20? That's really cool.

He was also behind the bench as an assistant at the recent U18's. It's one of those things that pops into my head and then gets overrun by the rest of the noise, so I forget from time to time myself. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad