2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Guys I like who they then probably won't draft, just because:

Leonard - a pit bull on the wing, the sort of mentality and game they don't have anywhere in their prospect pool; that he's an excellent finisher is why I don't think he's there at 13 and I will try to set my attachment aside when he goes one pick before the Sabres select.

Simashev - Big, toolsie, growing into his game as a steady LHD who has already played games at the KHL level and not looked out of place.

Barlow - ONG's synopsis fits, the questions are is he an early bloomer who dominated because he is already done growing or is there more there? Think Rossi in his draft year - if he is already built then that might pull on him. But if his game translates, he's old school up and down winger who finishes what others create.

Danielson - the Bergeron comps are really high praise, but his defensive game is certainly a strength. I do not see Cozens/Dach right now and I'm not sure with all the skill guys if the Bergeron defensive comp bears fruit.

DBut - The kid has my attention, though the rankings are going to put him a lot lower. Size, reach, skating that will improve with strength maturity, and some deft hands in a 6'5" package? Yeah. Oh yeah. He'd be a reach based on the scouting services.

Wood - another giant, scores, puts up points, may not even actually be on skates with how he moves. But the offense flows through him and he scores. Did I mention he scores? Andreychuk the f*** out of this kid.

Guys who they might take that I haven't had enough cycles viewing to fully endorse or condemn:

Oliver Moore - I didn't key on him as much as I have on Leonard so I like what I've seen, just haven't spent the focus.

Gracyn Sawchyn - a utility tool but also a guy I didn't spend time on.

Quintin Musty - apparently he's grown a lot over the course of the season but my early viewings put me off him hard, like sniffing spoiled leftovers and needing to grab a garbage can immediately.

Guys I am not in favor of which means they probably take them:

Sandin Pellikka - a small version of Montour (and that isn't meant as a compliment to what Montour is doing in Florida but a shot at him being someone who can transition the puck with his feet and things happen at both ends of the ice because of it).

Gavin Brindley - they have a fetish for tiny line drivers. Not my cup of tea due to his stature, they need to pump some mass and some aggression into their prospect pool since they have a type right now and it's small, skilled forwards who mostly look like wingers. He'd be more of that but he's a tenacious puck pursuit player who is always in the play and makes his line better no matter who he is playing with.

Andrew Cristall - I did not see it. I looked. I tried. WTF dude. I have him like anti-Brindley. I could see Brindley because the work rate is just awesome and he is a complete yappy dog but I just do not see it with Cristall.

So they will take Cristall.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Guys I like who they then probably won't draft, just because:

Leonard - a pit bull on the wing, the sort of mentality and game they don't have anywhere in their prospect pool; that he's an excellent finisher is why I don't think he's there at 13 and I will try to set my attachment aside when he goes one pick before the Sabres select.

Simashev - Big, toolsie, growing into his game as a steady LHD who has already played games at the KHL level and not looked out of place.

Barlow - ONG's synopsis fits, the questions are is he an early bloomer who dominated because he is already done growing or is there more there? Think Rossi in his draft year - if he is already built then that might pull on him. But if his game translates, he's old school up and down winger who finishes what others create.

Danielson - the Bergeron comps are really high praise, but his defensive game is certainly a strength. I do not see Cozens/Dach right now and I'm not sure with all the skill guys if the Bergeron defensive comp bears fruit.

DBut - The kid has my attention, though the rankings are going to put him a lot lower. Size, reach, skating that will improve with strength maturity, and some deft hands in a 6'5" package? Yeah. Oh yeah. He'd be a reach based on the scouting services.

Wood - another giant, scores, puts up points, may not even actually be on skates with how he moves. But the offense flows through him and he scores. Did I mention he scores? Andreychuk the f*** out of this kid.

Guys who they might take that I haven't had enough cycles viewing to fully endorse or condemn:

Oliver Moore - I didn't key on him as much as I have on Leonard so I like what I've seen, just haven't spent the focus.

Gracyn Sawchyn - a utility tool but also a guy I didn't spend time on.

Quintin Musty - apparently he's grown a lot over the course of the season but my early viewings put me off him hard, like sniffing spoiled leftovers and needing to grab a garbage can immediately.

Guys I am not in favor of which means they probably take them:

Sandin Pellikka - a small version of Montour (and that isn't meant as a compliment to what Montour is doing in Florida but a shot at him being someone who can transition the puck with his feet and things happen at both ends of the ice because of it).

Gavin Brindley - they have a fetish for tiny line drivers. Not my cup of tea due to his stature, they need to pump some mass and some aggression into their prospect pool since they have a type right now and it's small, skilled forwards who mostly look like wingers. He'd be more of that but he's a tenacious puck pursuit player who is always in the play and makes his line better no matter who he is playing with.

Andrew Cristall - I did not see it. I looked. I tried. WTF dude. I have him like anti-Brindley. I could see Brindley because the work rate is just awesome and he is a complete yappy dog but I just do not see it with Cristall.

So they will take Cristall.
Would Gulyayev fit into any of these categories?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Would Gulyayev fit into any of these categories?

He should probably be in there - watched more of Omsk than I have of say UConn and Wood - but I have him a bit after and that he's even smaller than ASP is a knock for me at the moment.

Same with Dvorsky who I've watched and had some doubts. I am not sure I see a center (especially with him being on the wing so much with AIK but I also wonder if he's already gone by the time Buffalo picks so I didn't throw him in that grapeshot post above.

Edit - I may have seen Cristall on nights when he was off. I think I tried watching him against Moose Jaw Spokane (I had to look, don't know why my brain went to Moose Jaw) one night after he'd eaten them up in the previous game and I was just... not impressed. Same against Lindgren's Rebels a little later. I'm not sitting with a tablet and scoring individual things, but I do try to pay attention and get a feel for how someone plays and I would love someone to explain what he's doing that they think he's going to go so high. He does a lot of stuff that works in junior that's just not going to work in the pros - dangling youngsters and things like that, instead of more direct give and go, get to the inside plays. *shrug*

Edit 2 - I see Gulyayev likely later than their pick and Dvorsky earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He should probably be in there - watched more of Omsk than I have of say UConn and Wood - but I have him a bit after and that he's even smaller than ASP is a knock for me at the moment.

Same with Dvorsky who I've watched and had some doubts. I am not sure I see a center (especially with him being on the wing so much with AIK but I also wonder if he's already gone by the time Buffalo picks so I didn't throw him in that grapeshot post above.

Edit - I may have seen Cristall on nights when he was off. I think I tried watching him against Moose Jaw Spokane (I had to look, don't know why my brain went to Moose Jaw) one night after he'd eaten them up in the previous game and I was just... not impressed. Same against Lindgren's Rebels a little later. I'm not sitting with a tablet and scoring individual things, but I do try to pay attention and get a feel for how someone plays and I would love someone to explain what he's doing that they think he's going to go so high. He does a lot of stuff that works in junior that's just not going to work in the pros - dangling youngsters and things like that, instead of more direct give and go, get to the inside plays. *shrug*

Edit 2 - I see Galyayev likely later than their pick and Dvorsky earlier.
Interesting...thanks! I see Gulyayev as inconsistently ranked as Simashev, but that's probably because the size scares some off more than others.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting...thanks! I see Gulyayev as inconsistently ranked as Simashev, but that's probably because the size scares some off more than others.

It's one of those things that we've seen a rise in small, high-skill defensemen compared to the past but there has to be a mix. If I was running a draft for a team that had a lack of offensive talent on the blueline, Gulyayev makes me sit up and take note. There is some of that Brian Campbell ability to break plays out and then make the right play in the offensive zone there. He seems like he's better at getting the puck to dangerous places once it's in the offensive zone than ASP is for me. ASP churns that biscuit up the ice with his legs, then when it gets into the offensive zone there is some disconnect to his processing in my viewings. That "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi... pass" that makes me wonder a bit. If a guy is small and not combative, I'd want the playmaking to be top notch. *shrug*

But I have a hard enough time with my MHL views because it does feel like such a different animal. Simashev could be a 2nd rounder. Who knows where But goes... Yet I like what both do. DBut with another 20 lbs of leg muscle is going to carve on those edges and dangle on guys IMO. At 6'5"... an Afino type.

I feel like I'm running some of these guys over and they're going to be players. I also don't want to unintentionally set people against a guy if they draft him. I trust their scouts for their first rounders, certainly. (The second round, we need to talk Kev. :biglaugh: )

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Love.
Like; dk about at 13.

Danielson
Not the biggest fan. Don't see what everyone else sees.

Like in the 2nd or a trade up.

Like, but he's a project. Like poltapov, won't be here soon.

Oliver Moore
Beware of the 2nd centers. Turcotte poisoned the well. I also think Smith is better.

Gracyn Sawchyn
Didn't know he was a 1st round consideration until last weekend

Quintin Musty
THIS pick is pure boom/bust. Either this is Alex Tuch 2.0., or an Alex Nylander level bust. Adams should know as much as anyone on this kid, so if they take him, I'll trust it. He fits the mold of what they need.

Sandin Pellikka
His J20 highlights are nuts. Another boom/bust pick, but at a position we do need.

Gavin Brindley
Flyers pick? Definitely. Don't see him being even a thought at 13.

Andrew Cristall
My 2023 NHL Draft nightmare. I'll have nothing good to say, and it'll be an order of magnitude worse than Quinn over Rossi. Which probably means Cristall's a superstar.

More likely, he's slow Drouin with somehow even less compete.

I'm adding a few:

Dalibor Dvorsky : Feels like a Zacha pick. No offensive upside. Don't like.

Cal Ritchie: Jame loves him; I don't see him.

Riley Heidt: do we need a backup Peyton Krebs?

Eduard Sale: if he falls, he's currently my favorite idea at F at 13.

David Reinbacher: My runaway favorite idea, but won't make it past Vancouver, or sooner.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Love.

Like; dk about at 13.

Simashev might be the 2nd best defenseman in this draft.

Not the biggest fan. Don't see what everyone else sees.

Danielson, it's the defensive game that really pops. He's in the right spot all the time. He seems like he's always on the right side of the puck.

Like in the 2nd or a trade up.

Like, but he's a project. Like poltapov, won't be here soon.

Eh, Wood has game and they don't need to have guys today. They need to spread out their development so they always have people percolating up that allows them to either make a trade or fill a lineup hole.

Beware of the 2nd centers. Turcotte poisoned the well. I also think Smith is better.

We're talking at 13 and Smith is probably going by 8. Turcotte going to a shitty Badger program and picking up a bunch of concussions shouldn't scare people away from Moore.

Didn't know he was a 1st round consideration until last weekend

THIS pick is pure boom/bust. Either this is Alex Tuch 2.0., or an Alex Nylander level bust. Adams should know as much as anyone on this kid, so if they take him, I'll trust it. He fits the mold of what they need.

I have not like Musty's body language in my early viewing. I've heard/read he's been a lot better but I haven't taken him in.

His J20 highlights are nuts. Another boom/bust pick, but at a position we do need.

His club season is sort of over - Skelleftea is in the SHL finals but they packed him off to their J20 team in February, then they sent him down to their J18 team. That makes me wonder. And yeah, very much a type that they don't need.

Flyers pick? Definitely. Don't see him being even a thought at 13.

Not sure. He could last into the 20's.

My 2023 NHL Draft nightmare. I'll have nothing good to say, and it'll be an order of magnitude worse than Quinn over Rossi. Which probably means Cristall's a superstar.

Feelin' that.

More likely, he's slow Drouin with somehow even less compete.

I'm adding a few:

Dalibor Dvorsky : Feels like a Zacha pick. No offensive upside. Don't like.

I have questions there about his game and that's a concern. I don't know if "no" upside, but it's something to look at.

Cal Ritchie: Jame loves him; I don't see him.

Eh.

Riley Heidt: do we need a backup Peyton Krebs?

Eduard Sale: if he falls, he's currently my favorite idea at F at 13.

I enjoy Sale with Kulich. I have questions now that I didn't have last summer in the U20's. I want to see what he does at the U18's without Kulich as his running mate.

David Reinbacher: My runaway favorite idea, but won't make it past Vancouver, or sooner.

He's gone in the top 10, no reason to talk about him at 13.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I watched a 2 hour vid saturday that extoled the virtues of Simashev, more so than Pellikka even, so I wouldn't say no, but I need more information.

Shoot me the link. :D I'm at this just from watching club level games.

(Which means Dragicevic sweeps in and takes this since I've watched him the least.)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Would be so happy if all this talk was meaningless and we move out the pick for current roster help.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
First round pick was Reinbacher, and here’s the rest. Weird doing this for the first time in mid-April

8063F972-CDC6-41C2-894F-B987468A6709.png

Leonard was available with the 1st rounder, but as he was my second option behind Reinbacher, I went with my preferred target. I assume everything else would stay the same.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Hoping that Hrabal or Strbak is still on the board for the Flyers 2nd.

Stramel or Morin with our 2nd.

If we could trade Olofsson half retained and get another 2nd, Rehkopf looks great. I love his tools and think he could develop quickly and be a legit bottom 6 option D+2.

In the 3rd gotta go B-lo and take Gavin McCarthy.

In the 4th go large, Matteo Mann or Brady Cleveland

5th/6th/7th Oscarson/Sloan/Jessli and I like Max Lundgren, he can sign an ELC immediately and split time in Cinci with Houser.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hoping that Hrabal or Strbak is still on the board for the Flyers 2nd.

Stramel or Morin with our 2nd.

If we could trade Olofsson half retained and get another 2nd, Rehkopf looks great. I love his tools and think he could develop quickly and be a legit bottom 6 option D+2.

In the 3rd gotta go B-lo and take Gavin McCarthy.

In the 4th go large, Matteo Mann or Brady Cleveland

5th/6th/7th Oscarson/Sloan/Jessli and I like Max Lundgren, he can sign an ELC immediately and split time in Cinci with Houser.

Yeah, mentioned before that I am interested in Cleveland because he's such a throwback. He plays a hard game.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
First round pick was Reinbacher, and here’s the rest. Weird doing this for the first time in mid-April

View attachment 686804

Leonard was available with the 1st rounder, but as he was my second option behind Reinbacher, I went with my preferred target. I assume everything else would stay the same.
Reinbacher, hoznek and but sounds like a wet dream for us in this draft

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Reinbacher, hoznek and but sounds like a wet dream for us in this draft

It’s wildly out of date (that site I did it on), but it’s pretty much a perfect draft for me. Many of those picks I dunno where to “file” them, so they may be overdrafted. But after pick 99, they all have the same pick spot so it becomes irrelevant.

It’s just more fun to do the whole draft than just the first round.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
It’s wildly out of date (that site I did it on), but it’s pretty much a perfect draft for me. Many of those picks I dunno where to “file” them, so they may be overdrafted. But after pick 99, they all have the same pick spot so it becomes irrelevant.

It’s just more fun to do the whole draft than just the first round.
Yea the later guys are interesting to keep an eye on since some of them will make it and its also good for refining my recreational at home scouting

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

8.) Ryan Leonard, RW, USNTDP: A rugged player with a motor that doesn’t quit. Competes as hard as he shoots it, and is one of the elite shooters available this year.

*9.) David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SUI): There’s a short gap to the next best defenceman, so there will be a number of suiters inside of ten that should be willing to make a jump.

*10.) Samuel Honzek, LW, Vancouver Giants (WHL): He projects as an impact player who uses his size effectively to give him more space than needed to utilize his skill.

*11.) Nate Danielson, C, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): Is a safe pick knowing the basement is a third line, match-up centreman who has a top six ceiling.

12.) Eduard Sale, RW, Brno (Czechia): Inconsistency in play and effort have given many scouts pause on this player. Having said that, he reads the play well, finds quiet ice and knows where to go to create offence.

13.) Axel Sandin-Pellikka, D, Skelleftea (Sweden J20): A wonderful skater who possesses high-end puck skills. Can break pucks out in a variety of ways, and is a threat in the offensive zone.

14.) Oliver Moore, C, USNTDP: The University of Minnesota commit has elite speed based on a strong, powerful stride. Beats opponents wide, and then uses quick hands to elevate the puck in tight.

15.) Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL): The scouting world appreciates the ability to balance his game, but a small dip in goal production does have some concerned.

16.) Dalibor Dvorsky, C, AIK (Allsvenskan): Unlike others, he didn’t see regular time in the SHL, Allsvenskan production was good, not great, but with his peers, he is an impact player. Scouts must decipher, which level of play is most indicative of future success.

17.) Daniil But, LW, Yaroslavl (KHL): Possesses all the elements to play a power forward game, although he can be a little nonchalant at times.

18.) Andrew Cristall, LW, Kelowna Rockets (WHL): As Kelowna’s only real offensive threat, he was neutralized by Seattle, but a solid rebound is expected playing for Canada in Switzerland.

19.) Oliver Bonk, D, London Knights (OHL): There is a wide range of thought on this player, but notwithstanding late-season fatigue, he’s earned enough in the regular season to garner top-20 discussion.

ASP at 13 seems like it would be a good fit for the Sabres...

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sabres are winning the 2nd lottery draw and picking 4th. For the vibes. Then they'll take Michkov, who will severely outplay Fantilli and Carlsson.

This is my prediction.
Been making a draft board for 11 years now. I tend to avoid boom/busts, historically.

Michkov is, and will remain 2nd on my board. I think he's incredible, and the ceiling is a superstar game-breaker.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Been making a draft board for 11 years now. I tend to avoid boom/busts, historically.

Michkov is, and will remain 2nd on my board. I think he's incredible, and the ceiling is a superstar game-breaker.

Yeah, if he were available where Buffalo selects, take him. They can wait to get the Kaprizov-like injection later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad