2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Michkov is very risky pick. Top five player but he needs to be smuggled out from Russia. Remember that Flyers Russian goalie?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Michkov is very risky pick. Top five player but he needs to be smuggled out from Russia. Remember that Flyers Russian goalie?
It's nonsense, only one player got caught because he didn't make sure to get a military ID, but other players quietly came to the NHL and come every year.

Perry Tegula

Yes... that'll do
Dec 7, 2022
Another guy I’m curious about is Quentin Musty. I haven’t watched any OHL games this year, but I was excited about him after watching one Sudbury game last year. Big kid, knows he’s big, goods hands. He’s scoring at a pretty good clip. Why do so many rankings have him outside the 1st?

We need to draft him just to avoid the inevitable PKane/Miles Wood/Iafallo trade threads.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So when do we start the "Should Adams trade his 1st + 3 2nds to go up and get Michkov?" conversations?

:sarcasm:

I don't think that gets it done to move up from mid-teens into the 4-6 range. It could very well be a team like Montreal who at the moment looks like they will have their own pick in that range and the Florida pick just a bit later who can take the big, gambling swing and then have a "safer" pick a few picks later.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I don't think that gets it done to move up from mid-teens into the 4-6 range. It could very well be a team like Montreal who at the moment looks like they will have their own pick in that range and the Florida pick just a bit later who can take the big, gambling swing and then have a "safer" pick a few picks later.
I don’t believe it has any chance of happening. But when has that ever stopped people from thinking about that sort of thing?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Right now my preferences are solidifying a bit more. Looking at a mid 1st I think Barlow, Musty, Strammel or Danielson are viable options as Reinbacher is going too early. For the 2nd ASP, Strbak and Akey for that RHD void and take a flyer with the VGK pick on Augustine. I still like Jack Sloan for a 4th / 5th
Very similar thinking on all those early names. Would add Bonk to that early 2nd RHD group as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Right now my preferences are solidifying a bit more. Looking at a mid 1st I think Barlow, Musty, Strammel or Danielson are viable options as Reinbacher is going too early. For the 2nd ASP, Strbak and Akey for that RHD void and take a flyer with the VGK pick on Augustine. I still like Jack Sloan for a 4th / 5th

I'm still liking Oliver Moore due to the tempo of his game seems to fit how the Sabres are angling to play. Later, someone like Halttunen has interested me a lot since the Hlinka. Ryan Leonard is another - up tempo and annoying as F out there.

Stramel has not impressed me in Badger viewing nor in U20 viewing. I don't get a good feel off those times I've seen him play but there are tools there the Sabres could use (to downright need).

Musty may last until the 2nd round with how he's faffing around thus far.

Reactions: elchud

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is Reinbacher worth trading up for? Can he be an NHL player by the 2025-26 season? Asking for a friend...

It's that the pre-season rankings of not seeing a lot of defensemen in this crop is going to have most of the defensemen looked at closer. I'm not sure Reinbacher is better than Bischel at this point and Bischel went late teens in a draft that isn't as deep. It's the hope of what Reinbacher might be and the scarcity factor of right-shot defensemen that is going to make it more a fervor for him than there may need to be. Think of the Allan talk back in August that still has people who haven't watched him not grow at the rate of those around him be in conversation.

Wait and see. They are in a good position, even if they wind up shockingly in the back half of the teens making a selection, to take someone who slides a bit or who they feel fits their stable better.

TL/DR - too much time left to seek just him or try to position to take him.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It's that the pre-season rankings of not seeing a lot of defensemen in this crop is going to have most of the defensemen looked at closer. I'm not sure Reinbacher is better than Bischel at this point and Bischel went late teens in a draft that isn't as deep. It's the hope of what Reinbacher might be and the scarcity factor of right-shot defensemen that is going to make it more a fervor for him than there may need to be. Think of the Allan talk back in August that still has people who haven't watched him not grow at the rate of those around him be in conversation.

Wait and see. They are in a good position, even if they wind up shockingly in the back half of the teens making a selection, to take someone who slides a bit or who they feel fits their stable better.

TL:DR - too much time left to seek just him or try to position to take him.
Yeah I figure Reinbacher may get drafted ahead of his real value and a few spots before Buffalo selects. I think Buffalo's situation can justify drafting for need this time around, but at what potential cost? A lot of scouting to do before June anyway so who knows.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

1. Buffalo Sabres

Like many of the teams on this list, the Sabres are stocked with young talent and have a seemingly bright future ahead. What makes Buffalo unique in my opinion is how diverse their prospects are in terms of position and role, and the fact that they’ve already got a bonafide star in Tage Thompson.

Buffalo has a bounty of young talent up front in forwards Dylan Cozens, Casey Mittelstadt. Jack Quinn, John-Jason Peterka and Peyton Krebs. On the blue line, the Sabres are sitting just as pretty with two top overall picks in Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power. Throw in their top goalie prospect Devon Levi, who is currently dominating college hockey, and the Sabres seem set at every level.

Adding Bedard to that already stellar group could set them up for years of success, something the often-tortured Sabres fan base has experienced very little of lately. The Sabres aren’t out of the playoff race, but if Thompson and company eventually fall short they’d be in the lottery. Is there a fanbase more deserving of some good fortune?

Despite not being the biggest market, Buffalo regularly proves to be one of hockey’s strongest in the U.S. Look at any list of TV ratings for a game, subtract the two local markets for the teams involved, and Buffalo often stands alone at the top. That’s even in the midst of the Sabres’ longest active playoff drought (11 seasons), which is nearly double the next-longest.

Give the city of Buffalo a powerhouse team on the ice, and let the fun begin.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I was happy to see that the Sabres had asked undrafted Tomas Suchanek to be their goalie for the Prospects Challenge this past summer. I thought that might give them the inside track to signing him to an ELC, but lo and behold, I just found out elsewhere on the board that he is draft eligible this year. Now that he played so well in the recent 2023 WJC, if there was a secret regarding Suchanek, the secret is officially out.

That said, and please forgive my naivete, but where does Suchanek rank as far as possible draft selection. Is he worth one of our three 2nd rounders or is he a fourth rounder. Or would the Sabres not be interested in taking him at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad