2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I completely agree with the guy that said Detroit and Ottawa will leave us in the dust this past year because they’re further along in their rebuild

Benson is a younger version of Olofsson. He’s the definition of “meh”.

Disagree strongly on that last comment -

Benson is ultra competitive and plays on the right side of the puck all over the ice. He works to get the puck back like his next meal depends on it. He isn't straight line fast (yet) but he's quick and knows were to be. He competes for pucks. Your assessment is way, way off.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can't help but feel Yager is the prototypical Adams draftpick when I look at who is likely available at 13, but still would not be too big of a reach (McKenzie has him at 15).

I am hoping there is not a specific type of player they target and that the homogeneous trend has just been a coincidence, but the evidence is starting to make coincidence seem unlikely.

Danielson has some Sabre stuff too.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
I can't help but feel Yager is the prototypical Adams draftpick when I look at who is likely available at 13, but still would not be too big of a reach (McKenzie has him at 15).

I am hoping there is not a specific type of player they target and that the homogeneous trend has just been a coincidence, but the evidence is starting to make coincidence seem unlikely.
I completely agree. He's another player that I think fits their draft philosophy.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I got a brad Lambert vibe from musty, and not necessarily in a bad way, but just super limited in what I've watched.

What's the biggest knock on him?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Since tis the lying season, I'm interested in the rumor that Ritchie spent the entire season with a bad wing, but still produced. It makes you sit back and go damn when you remember he plays with truculence and has no qualms about kicking some ass. He was ranked #6 in Bob's preseason poll but fell when his productivity didn't match expectations

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Benson is smarter, works harder and is a better two way player than any of the guys people would want because they’re three inches taller.

Agreed! If benson fell, he’s likely the pick because other similarly talented players already got picked. Simashev is still the dream, but benson would be awesome

Reactions: Fjordy and Zman5778

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Disagree strongly on that last comment -

Benson is ultra competitive and plays on the right side of the puck all over the ice. He works to get the puck back like his next meal depends on it. He isn't straight line fast (yet) but he's quick and knows were to be. He competes for pucks. Your assessment is way, way off.

And every game I saw, he was useless. He did nothing except wait to get a puck. It was never his puck. It was always “y’all fight for it and I’ll wait”.

He’s the opposite of what this team needs more of. We don’t need to go the Leafs style of all skill. There’s a reason they love Knies (organizationally and fanbase) AND pay for grit every year. There’s a reason we love Krebs and Cozens.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Alright the mob has spoken. You’ll be over the moon if the Sabres draft him. Hopefully he’s gone before they pick so he’s not an option at all. Because he’s the second worst option behind ASP and ahead of Perreault for me.

Just because a group is in the majority, doesn’t make them a mob. I just have never heard that criticism of Benson before, it’s the opposite take of every time I watched him.

It’s like arguing josh Allen has a weak arm. Benson being a floater? I don’t see it

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
A floater. That’s legitimately hilarious.

Scouts are worried he plays too fearless. And today he’s a floater.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I like the idea of trading up for a target (Bonk in this mock) if KA does not trade this years assets away for a player(s).

and another 7 rounder mock (without the trade but still getting Bonk ?)

Question: Will Pronman and Wheeler have one more mock ?

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
And every game I saw, he was useless. He did nothing except wait to get a puck. It was never his puck. It was always “y’all fight for it and I’ll wait”.

He’s the opposite of what this team needs more of. We don’t need to go the Leafs style of all skill. There’s a reason they love Knies (organizationally and fanbase) AND pay for grit every year. There’s a reason we love Krebs and Cozens.
This is a patently absurd take. I don’t even know what to do with it. Benson is pretty much universally lauded as having not just a high motor, but having the A #1 highest motor in the draft. Often described as the 1st or 2nd best defensive forward in the draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Are you sure you weren’t watching McClennon? Because that was very much his game.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This is a patently absurd take. I don’t even know what to do with it. Benson is pretty much universally lauded as having not just a high motor, but having the A #1 highest motor in the draft. Often described as the 1st or 2nd best defensive forward in the draft.
Black Book gave him the full 9 in hockey sense and compete. They wrote about he has the drive and fearlessness that you can’t teach. One of their guys mocked him to us on the Locked on Senators mock draft and said the reason he’d fall is that the injury risk is high BECAUSE of how he goes to the hard areas despite his size.

Floater

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
FWIW, I’m less concerned about size than most and Benson is my #5 prospect. I would take him over everybody that has any chance of being available at 13. The pick would be in by the second syllable of whichever names comes out at 12.

Edit: the injury risk is real though. His fearlessness is going to get him rocked for sure.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
That was my knock on Savoie after his nasty concussion in the USHL and having his season ended last year, and he's significantly larger in mass than Benson. I'd have no qualms with picking him even though he'd be another surf in the pool. I think his ability to make plays off the wing will translate, and he was the best player on a dominant WHL team

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
FWIW, I’m less concerned about size than most and Benson is my #5 prospect. I would take him over everybody that has any chance of being available at 13. The pick would be in by the second syllable of whichever names comes out at 12.

Edit: the injury risk is real though. His fearlessness is going to get him rocked for sure.
It’s the biggest thing for sure. Sometimes guys get hurt in ways that they aren’t the same player anymore. I still have him in my top 5 or 6. He’s that good.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Yeah, the HP guys talked about this in their last Q&A podcast, Brad Allen compared him to Frank Nazar from last year. Basically, when you play that fearless style at that size, expect to spend time on the IR or gutting it out at less than 100% more often than not. That seemed to be their biggest reason for dropping him down the rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad