2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I would easily rather have Simashev at 13. The defense is odd in that there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd round guys who could take steps to be very good in their own zone as they develop but Simashev is already very good defensively. I've had this debate too internally - is the offensive production going to come around and I think it is, but even if it doesn't, he's going to be a very good player in his own zone regardless.
Listening to Mark Edwards compare Simashev’s composure to Heiskanen’s, I’m sold.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Well it's now time to come to the realization that it's Danielson
Why is that? I can see them going in a bunch of different directions, depending on who's available. People sleep on players like Perreault, Honzek, and Barlow. Ritchie and DBut are other wildcards. Love Danielson but I am just as excited about the other options as well.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I thought Simashev was in the 16-28 range late last year, and a good candidate for trade down pick or getting an additional 1st. Cuz of his size and his skating. A Samuelsson+++ prospect. Only since early April did it occur to me that he should be a consideration for where the Sabres would likely pick.

There are 8 forwards that I think are exceptional prospects that I would pick over Simashev. And I like Reinbacher more as well cuz he is a #1 D type

I think Simashev is a can't miss 2 or 3 defenseman but will never be a #1 D. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I've seen people compare him to Sergachev. I dont see it at all. Can Simashev blossom into a 60 point player? It's just not likely. Doubtful. Sergachev walked into juniors and put up a PPG. Simashev isn't close to doing that. He is a much better defender at the same age though and he's got those physical attributes that give him a really high ceiling.

With Tage busting out it makes guys like Simashev and Wood and But so tempting. 13th overall is in that middle ground...you want a sure thing but maybe there's 1 or 2 guys worth rolling the dice on (guys who still have a decent floor). And if worst case Simashev is a better skating Samuslsson that's a hell of a get at 13.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I was reading some back and forth on Simashev/Zadarov. Simashev isn't anywhere close to being as physical as Zadarov, but he has more hockey sense. Simashev is a better skater. I loved the Risto/Zadorov picks. So what do I know.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The EP guys make a compelling case that the way he wins in junior is not translatable to the NHL. They think he’s a bottom six forward.
Center, not forward, which is a distinction in this draft where a lot of the "centers" won't end up playing center. Danielson will. And 3C is a key position to winning in playoffs and carries a ton of value. He's also arguably the most projectable as an NHL player outside of the top 3 with arguably the highest floor, and very competitive to boot. No warts in a draft crop full of warts.

Also keep in mind that the EP guys (kids?) have literally been doing this for like 3 years, so I wouldn't take everything they say as gospel.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Feeling good about Strbak being available at 39

Simashev/Strbak would be a great draft for us. And Hrabal or Gajan at 45.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Also keep in mind that the EP guys (kids?) have literally been doing this for like 3 years, so I wouldn't take everything they say as gospel.
I don’t think that’s fair. They aren’t universally younger than Mark Edwards’ scouts, and just because EP’ draft coverage is nascent, doesn’t mean the guys they employ are.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Feeling good about Strbak being available at 39

Simashev/Strbak would be a great draft for us. And Hrabal or Gajan at 45.
I would be apprehensive towards taking a goalie in the second round again. Would like to grab one later in the draft but there are going to be some solid prospects still available at 45.

Reactions: Irie

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Locked on Senators has a five and a half hour show on youtube where analysts do a mock draft.

Scott Wheeler did picks 1-8. Jerome Berube from hockeyprospect/black book did 9-16.

They had us with Benson.

The caveat is that Berube didnt give a crap about Russian factor and had Simashev at 9 and But ahead of us too. Have a hard time imagining 3 Russians in the top 12. Even if they are worth it

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It's simple last year I was hyping Gauthier all season only to have him go much earlier. This year I started the Barlow train and watched him blow up, so realistically expect him to go before Buffalo picks. Hence, I'm on my reasonable 2nd tier targets and Danielson along with Honzek are the type of prospects KA likes. So give me the big 200' center that all the WHL kids say is the hardest to play against that I know will do one more year in the Dub then be on the Amerks for the 24-25 season

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's simple last year I was hyping Gauthier all season only to have him go much earlier. This year I started the Barlow train and watched him blow up, so realistically expect him to go before Buffalo picks. Hence, I'm on my reasonable 2nd tier targets and Danielson along with Honzek are the type of prospects KA likes. So give me the big 200' center that all the WHL kids say is the hardest to play against that I know will do one more year in the Dub then be on the Amerks for the 24-25 season
Aren't you in like the Phillipines or Thailand or something? How you keep up on this stuff so well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad