2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I agree typically the NTDP goes,

I have good and bad news. The good news is you made the team, the bad news is we picked too many centers so you're playing wing.

They never go:

I have good news and bad news. The good is you made the team, the bad is we're moving you to center instead of D as you're too good

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

top10.PNG

top D.PNG

outliers.PNG

Capture.PNG

It is going to be really interesting to watch how the top 12 picks play out.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
What about Kraven the Hunter Brzustewicz? Would be a good choice in the second?
He seems like an interesting one.

The little I watched of him, he looked a bit slow. Not sure if anyone else can weigh-in there. One scouting report I read said he has good speed, so idk. I remember Forton saying they look at size and speed on a scale where guys they want should at least have one. He's not small, but he's not real big either. Feels like if he can hang with the size and speed of higher leagues he could be a steal, because the other characteristics like IQ, skating, effort in both zones, and general skill are there. Seems like he could be a very good possession player the way he uses his skating to elude forecheckers and buy some extra time to get the puck out of the d-zone, something I feel like the Sabres current roster was able to do for the first time in a decade.

Reactions: HOOats and Fjordy

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
You were the one Chain that got me on to Simashev way back in the beginning of the season! I honestly think he'll be gone before we pick at 13. Same with Reinbacher and Willander.... It's why I'd be willing to take back the Chaos Giraffe (Myers) to swap picks in a deal with Vancouver, much better chance of getting one of them at #11.
maybe I am wrong but I guess Reinbacher/Simashev are the most likely ones gone before 13th, then I guess maybe ASP; I would say Willander is a long shot and he will probably still be there at 13th since teams will go Rein/sima before Willander most likely (based on my viewing of rankings)

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
My first go had a theme: size and physicality:

(13) Dmitri Simashev, LD
(39) David Edstrom, C
(45) Jakub Dvorak, LD
(86) Damien Clara, G
(109) Drew Fortescue, LD
(141) Kaden Hamell, RD
(173) Jonathan Castagna, C
(205) Luke McNamara, C
I like the Damien Clara pick a lot

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Here was the guys drafted before 13

Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Michkov
Smith
Dvorsky
Leonard
Benson
Moore
ASP
Reinbacher
Simashev

Who would you take? What is your guess on who Sneaky Joe took? No cheating
Ted-DiBiase-Million-Dollar-Man.jpg

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

View attachment 720361

My first mock with the Bob Mc rankings.

And this mine first mock with the Bob Mc rankings. :cool:
View attachment 720395

My first go had a theme: size and physicality:

(13) Dmitri Simashev, LD
(39) David Edstrom, C
(45) Jakub Dvorak, LD
(86) Damien Clara, G
(109) Drew Fortescue, LD
(141) Kaden Hamell, RD
(173) Jonathan Castagna, C
(205) Luke McNamara, C
Lots of names in here that I pick as well: Dvorak, Nelson, Cleveland, Lind

Reactions: Fjordy and Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lots of names in here that I pick as well: Dvorak, Nelson, Cleveland, Lind

Since the more frequent folks in this thread have talked plenty about guys at the top of the 2nd round but that isn't something that is easy to sift through for someone coming in late, I'll dive on DJ's post for some commentary:

Nelson's a good one, Pinto-esque.

Been a fan of Lind, he is a personal favorite that I could see at 45. They need more of that.

2nd round seems way to high for Cleveland and I'm a fan. Strabek would seem like a better choice in the 45 range than Cleveland - I'm cool with Cleveland at 86 or 109 but top of the 2nd round is not it for me.

Dvorak at his size is another sort that Buffalo doesn't have in their pipeline which makes it appealing. Similar to Lind, it's something lacking.

Not one you mentioned but I see Stramel come up and I was just not impressed at all. I would hope that someone else goes there but if they do, they will have a lot of work to do.

Some 2nd round types not mentioned on this page - Molendyk and Cagnoni as smaller, high-mobility defensemen; Lindstein as a 2-way sort of defenseman; David Edstrom as a large-body center who some have slotted into the later part of the first round. Another would be Matthew Mania whose game is actually manic. Another pro-sized guy might be Koehn Ziemmer who reminds me a bit of Reid Schaefer last year - lots of banging around, contact driven and some skill to finish in tight.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Dude is apparently too large of a human for his age, as those PIMs are quite the eye opener.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
BPA at 13, 39, and 45 then use a good chunk of the rest of the draft to load up on D prospects. Also want to see us taking a goalie every year, even if it’s in the 7th round.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

Dude is apparently too large of a human for his age, as those PIMs are quite the eye opener.

True, that's merely a cross check to the sternum if he were but 6'1

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
From reading the last 20 pages to get caught up it seems like the majority are in favor of Simashev.

So it's a full board melt down if he's available at 13 and Sabres go with someone else. Pure heartbreak if he goes before the Sabres pick at 13.

Personally I just hope the Sabres pick the right guy. The last three drafts I haven't clinged onto anyone and have hoped they hit on players. That's why Jack Quinn over Rossi wasn't a big deal to me.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
From reading the last 20 pages to get caught up it seems like the majority are in favor of Simashev.

So it's a full board melt down if he's available at 13 and Sabres go with someone else. Pure heartbreak if he goes before the Sabres pick at 13.

Personally I just hope the Sabres pick the right guy. The last three drafts I haven't clinged onto anyone and have hoped they hit on players. That's why Jack Quinn over Rossi wasn't a big deal to me.

Depends who it is. If they take Willander over him…fine. Not how I rank it but he’s a great skater who defends and is smart too. Plus his handedness …which doesn’t matter to me much (or them) but it doesn’t hurt.

If Benson falls they better run his name up there.

Even if they take a Barlow, Wood, But or Honzek I’d get it and it’s fine. If they believe they need what Barlow does or see one of the big boys upside being too good to pass up after development…that’s exciting to me.

If it’s for ASP I will be upset, yes.

I will have more issues with forwards projected to be in that range (IE: not Benson or Michkov falling from my very top of the draft ranking)…but there are different degrees to it. I’m not as high on Moore but he has exciting attributes. I’m not as high on Danielson but whatever. I don’t want to be passing on a D I think is special for a Yager or a Musty. If it’s Sale I will punch a wall.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Button with a mostly reasonable mock............aside from Arizona taking Wood at 6

CHI -- Bedard
ANA -- Fantilli
CBJ -- Carlsson
SJ -- Michkov
MTL -- Smith
ARIZ -- Wood (yep)
PHI -- Leonard
WASH -- Reinbacher
DET -- Barlow
St. L -- ASP
VAN -- Willander
ARIZ -- Dvorsky
BUF -- Benson

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

Button with a mostly reasonable mock............aside from Arizona taking Wood at 6

CHI -- Bedard
ANA -- Fantilli
CBJ -- Carlsson
SJ -- Michkov
MTL -- Smith
ARIZ -- Wood (yep)
PHI -- Leonard
WASH -- Reinbacher
DET -- Barlow
St. L -- ASP
VAN -- Willander
ARIZ -- Dvorsky
BUF -- Benson
Rest assured, a few of these teams will make a WTF pick. Not saying a guy like Honzek or But is a WTF but with them and Wood/Ritchie, teams love that size and I wouldn't be shocked to see any of the 4 or multiple of them go before 13, leaving us a juicy player who falls.

I've got my eye on Leonard and Benson or maybe a Dvorsky coming down.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I really like Zach Benson. And if that happens, I can't wait for all the hot takes on the bird app with the Sabres taking yet another small, skilled forward early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad