2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, I think the biggest depth issue is at wing right now. I think Raymond can become a 30 goal guy with Berggy, Ras and Elmer being nice complimentary pieces. We need a game breaker though.
every great team, and stanley cup winner, has that one guy that can bury the puck.

Tkachuk, Eichel/Stone, Kucherov/stamkos, Mackinning/makar/rantanen.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
In Evolving Hockey's contract projection, Dumba was scheduled to make 4.4M per. It's right on the line for me. If Chariot wasn't signed, I would say go for it, but he might make just a bit too much for a 2nd line RHD. Or maybe, with the cap going up, he might be at par with the rest of the league, I'm just not sure.

Like the player, don't love the term he might want.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
In Evolving Hockey's contract projection, Dumba was scheduled to make 4.4M per. It's right on the line for me. If Chariot wasn't signed, I would say go for it, but he might make just a bit too much for a 2nd line RHD. Or maybe, with the cap going up, he might be at par with the rest of the league, I'm just not sure.

4.4 mil for a 2nd pair RD isn’t bad. That sounds in line with league average.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Id stay away from dumba, guy had 14 points in 79 games last year. Hes also only 6 feet tall and Yzerman loves big yutes

He did have 50 points once but it was 6 years ago and averaging about 20 since then

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Many a fan scoffed at the Maatta acquisition. He's a defensive-defenseman on a tire fire team. I'd certainly rather have Peeke than Dumba at 2 mil more and for probably twice as long.
I actually loved the Maatta signing. I always thought he was a really good player since Pittsburgh. He has always known how to keep the puck in the o-zone, pinches very timely, and rarely get's beat because he thinks defensively. He knows that keeping the puck in the o-zone is a better gamble than to rely on yourself breaking up a rush the other way.

If you guys watch some of his highlights just for the pinching in, he is well worth it. It's a shame he got that pneumonia and messed up his season. He was doing great.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Severson is a #4D who just got paid $50M, $4.4M with reasonable term sounds like a heist

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think I’m totally out on Dumba. Really liked him as a prospect too.

What I see is an offensive defenseman where the offense has dried up and a pretty concerning injury history. His possession numbers were pretty bad this last year. Don’t think his body will hold up well with the way he likes to play with his smaller frame.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Many a fan scoffed at the Maatta acquisition. He's a defensive-defenseman on a tire fire team. I'd certainly rather have Peeke than Dumba at 2 mil more and for probably twice as long.

Maatta has never produced as poor or poorer results than Peeke though. For a guy with a limited career and nothing really shown of promise you really seem to love this guy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think I’m totally out on Dumba. Really liked him as a prospect too.

What I see is an offensive defenseman where the offense has dried up and a pretty concerning injury history. His possession numbers were pretty bad this last year. Don’t think his body will hold up well with the way he likes to play with his smaller frame.

What I see is similar only he was supposed to be much better offensively and never got there, had that one really good season and slowed way down after. He has been on average a 25 pt defender with only 4 seasons above that, 2 of which were just barely. If we could get him for 4mX3y than I think that would be ok, but nothing more.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Maatta has never produced as poor or poorer results than Peeke though. For a guy with a limited career and nothing really shown of promise you really seem to love this guy.
Maatta never played on a team as bad as Columbus. It's less a matter of love and more a matter of he fills a need as well as being a quasi-plausible acquisition based on Columbus' roster makeup. It's slim picking at RD and a mid pick for a modestly salaried player beats overpaying a UFA that isn't any better.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Maatta never played on a team as bad as Columbus. It's less a matter of love and more a matter of he fills a need as well as being a quasi-plausible acquisition based on Columbus' roster makeup. It's slim picking at RD and a mid pick for a modestly salaried player beats overpaying a UFA that isn't any better.

Yeah, but why him? There are lots of D on any number of teams that have been better, some cost more and some less. What makes Peeke in particular the choice?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, but why him? There are lots of D on any number of teams that have been better, some cost more and some less. What makes Peeke in particular the choice?
How many teams have a surplus of RD? It's a matter of availability.

Would I rather get Rasmus Andersson from the Flames? Yes, absolutely. The cost however is going to be ridiculous.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How many teams have a surplus of RD? It's a matter of availability.

Would I rather get Rasmus Andersson from the Flames? Yes, absolutely. The cost however is going to be ridiculous.

To me, that is more the type of move we need to be making if playoffs is a goal any time soon. Peeke is just more of what we have seen in Detroit and doesn't improve us at all in my opinion.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
To me, that is more the type of move we need to be making if playoffs is a goal any time soon. Peeke is just more of what we have seen in Detroit and doesn't improve us at all in my opinion.
Well, that's probably 2 1sts and a young player/prospect.

I'd toss #17 '23, #43 '24, Bos 1st '24, RW 1st '24 Veleno and a D prospect not named Ed for both Andersson and Lindholm.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mayfield is 30 and UFA. He's looking for his retirement bag. A 2nd is nothing to get a 25yo at $2.75M x 3.

30 year vet is exactly what we need. Because you need vets to surround those better future kids.

We don't need some 3rd pair guy who is still learning the league. Own top kids inserted in the lineup + proven vets mentoring them with good balance is the plan.

Caphit for Peeke is irrelevant. He is cheap now but we aren't against the cap during his cheaper contract. But after his next extension, he probably will want more than Mayfield.

And I still like to keep that draft pick. Maybe sign Peeke as UFA after Mayfield is gone.

Reactions: flychairman

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
30 year vet is exactly what we need. Because you need vets to surround those better future kids.

We don't need some 3rd pair guy who is still learning the league. Own top kids inserted in the lineup + proven vets mentoring them with good balance is the plan.

Caphit for Peeke is irrelevant. He is cheap now but we aren't against the cap during his cheaper contract. But after his next extension, he probably will want more than Mayfield.

And I still like to keep that draft pick. Maybe sign Peeke as UFA after Mayfield is gone.
No. We do not need any more old players just for the sake of them being old.

Peeke is a 2nd pairing guy forced on the top pairing due to injuries. He had more ES and SH TOI than Seider this year.

Cap hit is not irrelevant because we have 5 guys under contract this coming season that will need $20M in raises next season.

If Peeke earns a raise on his next deal, that's a good thing.

It's senseless to sign a filler guy when you can just get a guy that fits the age group of the core.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No. We do not need any more old players just for the sake of them being old.

Peeke is a 3rd pair guy still learning the league.

Mayfield is one of the best penalty killers bolstering or PK and mentoring our kids to become also top penalty killers.

That's why we should sign him. Not because he is old. Maybe you should level down your arrogance in many posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad