2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think before Yzerman decides to sign a defenceman Chiarot should be moved to 3rd pair and see if Lindstrom, Oesterle or Hagg can get something going with him.
Walman and Oesterle played well together and were both +14 .

Yeah, I could already see that.

At first, Chiarot will be put for 2-3 seasons to eat all the bad bullets. And on his last season, he will be put to 3rd pair, will be +15 at the deadline thanks to easier assignments and our better 3rd line depth, then this shiny looking toy is gone for picks.

I think they need 2 RHD. Justin Holl, Damon Severson, Trevor van Riemsdyk and Connor Clifton all have various degrees of interesting statistical profiles and two of them could be useful depending on contract length and cost. Mark Pysyk was signed by Detroit last year but missed all season, so he could be brought back as well depending on his recovery.

Walman-Seider
Maatta- Holl/Severson
Edvinsson-van Riemsdyk/Clifton/Pysyk

Don't believe for 2 RHD. Or if that second is a marginal guy like Pysyk.

But I think, if the plan is to open a PP slot for Edvinsson, they are not gonna sign any skill defenceman.

More of experience and physicality, to complement kids. So I would go after Scott Mayfield. He has been extremely solid for NYI, and they can't fit him anymore at cap. Also, he wouldn't be stealing eny PP time from Edvinsson or Seider. If either or those are missing, you call for Johansson, or even Wallinder.

Kids are gonna come on the power-play, so the vets should more of stay-at-home veterans, like Määttä, Chiarot are. But they are at left side, Mayfield would give us right side RH option to match pairs better.

Walman - Seider
Määttä - Chiarot
Edvinsson - Mayfield
----------
Lindström
"Pysyk"

Scott Mayfield 6'5, 30y RHD, 0:02 PP, 2:57 PK, most of NYI, Top10 PK at NHL
Connor Clifton 5'11, 27y, RHD, 0:06 PP, 1:23 PK, 6th most of Boston, marginal role
Trevor van Riemsdyk 6'3, 31y, RHD, 0:12, 2:36 PK, most of WSH, Top10 PK at NHL
Matt Dumba 6'0, 28y, RHD, 0:05 PP. 1:50 PK, only 4th most of MIN PK, good pk, but surprisingly small 3rd-4th role for years.
Justin Holl 6'3, 31y, RHD, 0:04 PP, 3:01 PK, most of TOR, 12th best PK at NHL.

What comes to NJD defence, both LHD Graves and RHD Severson are UFAs. Graves has been 3rd most used PK defenceman, no PP time. Severson is kind of hybrid, 2nd PP, 2nd PK guy, kind of Hronek minutes. Think Graves would be better fit with role, but wrong side. Severson could be a fit, but it's then same again as this season, no special team slots open for Edvinsson/Johansson.

Trade Hronek for assets and then sign "another hronek" for free as UFA in Severson would not surprise me how Stevie operates. But I think we will go more heavily the PK way and get a guy like Mayfield or TvR. The skill lies on our kids, and vets could be added to handle those defensive roles, which always need more exprience. Effective PK is very important for winning, and I don't think we have very good PK guys at the moment.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I think they need 2 RHD. Justin Holl, Damon Severson, Trevor van Riemsdyk and Connor Clifton all have various degrees of interesting statistical profiles and two of them could be useful depending on contract length and cost. Mark Pysyk was signed by Detroit last year but missed all season, so he could be brought back as well depending on his recovery.

Walman-Seider
Maatta- Holl/Severson
Edvinsson-van Riemsdyk/Clifton/Pysyk

Chiarot is traded or bought out.

For forwards, I could see signing two to play in the top 9, but it all depends on cost. Tatar and Bunting could be interesting depending on length and cost. Killorn could be a Perron-type signing. I think Evan Rodrigues is intriguing, as well, and I was hoping they would have signed him last year and he's had a good year for Colorado. I'm thinking the Wings will re-sign Suter since they did not trade him away at the deadline and he would have had pretty decent value considering how good he is on the PK.
I don't see Yzerman being interested on 5'11' Clifton, Severson is probably looking for a 6-7 year deal. But Holl he seems to check lot of boxes, there could be something. Chiarot stays and they just move him on the right side, not ideal but it works well in the 3rd pair. Lindström probably gets a 1-year extension and Yzerman signs another 7-8th d-man.

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Holl
Määttä - Chiarot
"Tinordi/DeHaan" - Lindström

Offense is crowded already, if Kasper and Söderblom start in GR that would open 3 spots for UFA forwards. If Suter get's re-signed either Kasper or Söderblom starts in GR but i think Kasper "replaces" Suter and 1 spot is left open for a UFA. Killorn would be nice to see in Detroit. Im interested to see O'Reilly in Detroit, kinda ideal on-ice mentor to Kasper and that would open up the possibility to see many interesting line ups.
Ras - Larkin - Ray
Kasper - O'Reilly - Perron
Fabbri - Copp - Berggren
Kubalik - Veleno - Söderblom
Zadina

Kubalik - Larkin - Ray
Ras - O'Reilly - Perron
Fabbri - Kasper - Berggren
Veleno - Copp - Söderblom
Zadina

Copp - Larkin - Ray
Ras - O'Reilly - Perron
Zadina

Killorn/Ras - Larkin - Ray
Ras/Killorn - Copp - Perron
Zadina

Copp - Larkin - Ray
Killorn - Ras - Perron
bottom-6

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yeah, I could already see that.

At first, Chiarot will be put for 2-3 seasons to eat all the bad bullets. And on his last season, he will be put to 3rd pair, will be +15 at the deadline thanks to easier assignments and our better 3rd line depth, then this shiny looking toy is gone for picks.
By that time we should be a buyer not a seller.

I don't hate Chiarot, I don't think he is a bad player. He simply cannot make others around him better, but I think he can be serviceable with the right partner.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Mayfield seems like a really nice target on back end. Then maybe sign Pysyk to be #7.

Up front I think we desperately need a trade to acquire a youngish front line player.

Killorn, o’reilly, Tatar are a few guys that could make sense depending on term to soak up a top 9 role.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ross Colton would be interesting hire (RFA).

Think Tampa can't fit both him and Tanner Jeannot on the cap anyhow, without trading a big contract out.

There's kind of 2-3M of capspace for 1 bigger deal of Killorn/Colton/Jeannot, and other extensions have to be ELC-priced or Perry/Bellemare/Maroon -styled 1M or less deals.

Last edited:

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I am on the get rid of the Chiarot bus as anybody, but I don't think the org feels the same way most of us do. Don't see him getting bumped down to third line duty or getting moved in the offseason.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Just some context for this thread but Yzerman will need to take on approximately 10 million in caphits to reach the cap floor for next season.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
When looking at the FA crop (which isn’t super strong) I believe we need to accomplish a couple things in order to contend for a playoff spot next year.

Find a RHD that can play in the top 4: My targets would be Dumba, Mayfield, Klingberg, Parayko (via trade).

Find a C that can push Veleno to the 4C: The UFA market is very limited but I would go after JT Compher he’s still young enough to be a piece on the timeline. Could also be Kasper here if the wings think he’s ready

Find 2 wingers that can play a heavier game while still providing offense: My targets here via UFA are; Barbashev, Killorn, Bunting, Wood, maybe Tarasenko if he leaves NY

Realistically I would be thrilled with signing Dumba, Compher, Barbashev, and Wood

Rass- Larkin-Raymond
Fabbri-Copp-Perron
Berggren-Compher- Barbashev
Zadina/Kub- Veleno- Wood/Soderblom

Walman-Seider
Edvinsson/Johannsen- Dumba
Maatta- Chiarot
Pysyk

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Sign Barbashev, Dumba, and Klingberg.
Dump one of Oesterle and Lindstrom when possible. Hell, go after Vince Dunn too.
I wouldn’t go both Dumba and Klingberg unless we are dumping chiarot. I would like either Ed or Johannsen to take that other D spot for us

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I think Damon Severson may be a nice add on the right side. To me its either Dumba or Severson on the right to play on the second pairing. Assuming we resign Lindstrom, that makes our right side Seider, Severson/Dumba, Lindstrom. I would push AlJo or Ed to take the spot from Lindstrom, send the other down to play top pair minutes in GR, and resign a Hagg-type defensive minded defenseman who will likely sit most nights. In this scenario, Chairot plays on his off side with Ed or AlJo on the left. If we don't resign Lindstrom and AlJo/Ed need more time, Scott Mayfield may be a nice add if NYI can't afford him. Chairot/Mayfield would be a tough matchup

Basically Severson, Dumba, Mayfield.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's not a great UFA class unfortunetely. Yzerman is gonna have to get creative and move some picks for capable players. I could see some deals similar to the Husso trade last summer.

On D, Severson would be an upgrade, but he's gonna cost a lot. Also, we need team toughness. As much as I can't believe I'm saying this, Radko Gudas would immediately make us a tougher team to play against.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I don't see Yzerman being interested on 5'11' Clifton, Severson is probably looking for a 6-7 year deal. But Holl he seems to check lot of boxes, there could be something. Chiarot stays and they just move him on the right side, not ideal but it works well in the 3rd pair. Lindström probably gets a 1-year extension and Yzerman signs another 7-8th d-man.

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Holl
Määttä - Chiarot
"Tinordi/DeHaan" - Lindström

Offense is crowded already, if Kasper and Söderblom start in GR that would open 3 spots for UFA forwards. If Suter get's re-signed either Kasper or Söderblom starts in GR but i think Kasper "replaces" Suter and 1 spot is left open for a UFA. Killorn would be nice to see in Detroit. Im interested to see O'Reilly in Detroit, kinda ideal on-ice mentor to Kasper and that would open up the possibility to see many interesting line ups.
Ras - Larkin - Ray
Kasper - O'Reilly - Perron
Fabbri - Copp - Berggren
Zadina

Kubalik - Larkin - Ray
Ras - O'Reilly - Perron
Veleno - Copp - Söderblom
Zadina

Copp - Larkin - Ray
Ras - O'Reilly - Perron
Zadina

Killorn/Ras - Larkin - Ray
Ras/Killorn - Copp - Perron
Zadina

Copp - Larkin - Ray
Killorn - Ras - Perron
bottom-6

I'm a huge Killorn stan. With the cap crunch Tampa is in I think he'd be a really solid veteran add to Detroit. 2-3 years, 4ish mil. Strong veteran presence and provides a lot of the same things that Bertuzzi provided.

Trade Zadina. Get a GOOD "heavy" type journeyman that can be the 12th/13th forward until a full time spot opens if there's an injury or trade to a guy like Perron or Kubalik. Miles Woods in NJ might be a good option here.

Barbashev is another "heavy" type winger that is intriguing. Can he be a 50 point banger? Or was his big offensive season an aberration and he's a 3rd/4th line banger?

Kubalik - Larkin - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Perron
Berggren - Kasper - Killorn(or Barbashev)
Soderblom/Wood (Or Barbashev) - Veleno - Fabbri

When 2024 rolls around we can reasonably expect Perron to either have been traded at the deadline to a contender or retiring at the end of the season. Kubalik is due a raise or traded. And by this time we will hopefully have seen more development from Raymond, Veleno, Ras, Kasper and Berggren.

It's not full of game breakers but still very deep all around and can match up against most teams without getting caved. It's a shame they aren't in the west because a team like that in the west could definitely be top 5 in the conference come playoff time.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm a huge Killorn stan. With the cap crunch Tampa is in I think he'd be a really solid veteran add to Detroit. 2-3 years, 4ish mil. Strong veteran presence and provides a lot of the same things that Bertuzzi provided.

Trade Zadina. Get a GOOD "heavy" type journeyman that can be the 12th/13th forward until a full time spot opens if there's an injury or trade to a guy like Perron or Kubalik. Miles Woods in NJ might be a good option here.

Barbashev is another "heavy" type winger that is intriguing. Can he be a 50 point banger? Or was his big offensive season an aberration and he's a 3rd/4th line banger?

Kubalik - Larkin - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Perron
Berggren - Kasper - Killorn(or Barbashev)
Soderblom/Wood (Or Barbashev) - Veleno - Fabbri

When 2024 rolls around we can reasonably expect Perron to either have been traded at the deadline to a contender or retiring at the end of the season. Kubalik is due a raise or traded. And by this time we will hopefully have seen more development from Raymond, Veleno, Ras, Kasper and Berggren.

It's not full of game breakers but still very deep all around and can match up against most teams without getting caved. It's a shame they aren't in the west because a team like that in the west could definitely be top 5 in the conference come playoff time.
So... Re-sign Erne and grab another Erne? Rather have Zadina...

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yzerman will need to take on 8 mill via FA or trade to reach the cap floor.

Goalie
RD
C
Done

I'd just hang mostly tight

Rasmussen Larkin Raymond
Kubalik Copp Perron
Berrgren Veleno Soderblom
Watson Kasper Lemieux

Maybe I bring back Suter to backfill Kasper if he's not ready.
Add some toughness in Watson and Lemieux.

That Watson-Kasper-Lemieux line will be a terror.

On D, add Scott Mayfield.

Walman-Seider
Maatta-Chiarot
Edvinson/Johansson-Mayfield

At goal, I make a play for Jarry and go Husso/Jarry.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Damon Severson may be a nice add on the right side. To me its either Dumba or Severson on the right to play on the second pairing. Assuming we resign Lindstrom, that makes our right side Seider, Severson/Dumba, Lindstrom. I would push AlJo or Ed to take the spot from Lindstrom, send the other down to play top pair minutes in GR, and resign a Hagg-type defensive minded defenseman who will likely sit most nights. In this scenario, Chairot plays on his off side with Ed or AlJo on the left. If we don't resign Lindstrom and AlJo/Ed need more time, Scott Mayfield may be a nice add if NYI can't afford him. Chairot/Mayfield would be a tough matchup

Basically Severson, Dumba, Mayfield.
Between the fact that Severson has been playing 3rd pair all year and looking at the comments from Devils fans.

I think I am seeing some buyer beware there.. not quite sure if it is to the extent of Chiarot.. but it feels a little similar.

Reactions: Perfect Human

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sign Barbashev, Dumba, and Klingberg.
Dump one of Oesterle and Lindstrom when possible. Hell, go after Vince Dunn too.
I was a big fan of Dumba as a prospect and then his first few years in the league.

But look at how many games he has missed over the last 5 years, and look at his possession numbers over the last 3 years. He has 9 assists in 61 games this year. That is not the guy I remember.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Goalie
RD
C
Done

I'd just hang mostly tight

Rasmussen Larkin Raymond
Kubalik Copp Perron
Berrgren Veleno Soderblom
Watson Kasper Lemieux

Maybe I bring back Suter to backfill Kasper if he's not ready.
Add some toughness in Watson and Lemieux.

That Watson-Kasper-Lemieux line will be a terror.

On D, add Scott Mayfield.

Walman-Seider
Maatta-Chiarot
Edvinson/Johansson-Mayfield

At goal, I make a play for Jarry and go Husso/Jarry.
That line is straight out of the "how to ruin a rookie" handbook.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No. Just…no.

Sometimes you make me wish I could reach through your screen to slap you. Today is one of those days.
Believe me, that's me and you every time you want to cut your nose off to spite your face whenever you mention Zadina.

$1.8M for another 2 years. That's f***ing gold if he does ANYTHING, but you'd rather kick him to the ECHL out of spite.

Reactions: SirloinUB

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Believe me, that's me and you every time you want to cut your nose off to spite your face whenever you mention Zadina.

$1.8M for another 2 years. That's f***ing gold if he does ANYTHING, but you'd rather kick him to the ECHL out of spite.

It’s not out of spite. It’s out of recognizing he doesn’t bring much to the table.

Zadina is a 20-30 point guy with zero grit and is mediocre defensively. If I want a 20-30 point winger for the 3rd/4th line then I want someone that brings other dimensions to their play. Grit/toughness, speed and forechecking, great on the penalty kill, or willing to fight.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It’s not out of spite. It’s out of recognizing he doesn’t bring much to the table.

Zadina is a 20-30 point guy with zero grit and is mediocre defensively. If I want a 20-30 point winger for the 3rd/4th line then I want someone that brings other dimensions to their play. Grit/toughness, speed and forechecking, great on the penalty kill, or willing to fight.
Zadina is very good defensively, relative to anyone else we have. He creates a lot of turnovers for his line and is a good forechecker. He should be killing penalties and he should be on the PP. Fighting is literally the single least important attribute for a hockey player.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Zadina is very good defensively, relative to anyone else we have. He creates a lot of turnovers for his line and is a good forechecker. He should be killing penalties and he should be on the PP. Fighting is literally the single least important attribute for a hockey player.

Yeah, not really. Take off those rose colored glasses my dude. Zadina's stick is where plays go to die in the offensive zone. He puts in effort on the backcheck, sure, but he's still not that great at disrupting passing lanes or locking up the opposition. He does a lot of chasing that's for sure. These are also reasons why I don't think Zadina should be on the PK.

Point blank, Zadina is about as vanilla as a hockey player can get. Not a single standout trait. He's essentially a poor man's Sam Gagner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad