2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Sometimes I think I'm going insane listening to junior commentators and watching junior officials. Watching Sudbury vs Soo. Mania's shot bounces off Villeneuve's face and in. They review it for a high stick for some reason. Commentators are convinced it's a high stick, "it bounced right down how is it not a high stick?" Officials make the right call and call it a goal, but the goal is given to Mania. How is nobody in this arena seeing what I can see from my 480p legitimate stream lmao.

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
Sometimes I think I'm going insane listening to junior commentators and watching junior officials. Watching Sudbury vs Soo. Mania's shot bounces off Villeneuve's face and in. They review it for a high stick for some reason. Commentators are convinced it's a high stick, "it bounced right down how is it not a high stick?" Officials make the right call and call it a goal, but the goal is given to Mania. How is nobody in this arena seeing what I can see from my 480p legitimate stream lmao.
I say the same thing on just about every replay - its brutal

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
How does Musty looks, should we go after him

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Smith doesn't seem at all like a player the Wings would select, unfortunately. Sort of reminds of the 2nd round last year when they could have selected an offensive Center with Del Bel Belluz who was not "gritty" and went with the character guy in James. Del Bel Belluz is having a pretty good year this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Smith doesn't seem at all like a player the Wings would select, unfortunately. Sort of reminds of the 2nd round last year when they could have selected an offensive Center with Del Bel Belluz who was not "gritty" and went with the character guy in James. Del Bel Belluz is having a pretty good year this year.
Yzerman has drafted James in the 2nd round and he’s drafted Kucherov in the 2nd round. Hell he drafted Buchelnikov last year in the 2nd round and he is pretty much purely an offensive guy.

I don’t know why we act like Yzerman only likes one kind of player. I wouldn’t have thought he would draft Raymond at 4 but he did.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He's realgud
Hope he is still available with our first , second pick. Have never seen him playing game, just highlights, he seems like excellent playmaker, with size and speed. I believe he will look incredible with Kasper

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Yzerman has drafted James in the 2nd round and he’s drafted Kucherov in the 2nd round. Hell he drafted Buchelnikov last year in the 2nd round and he is pretty much purely an offensive guy.

I don’t know why we act like Yzerman only likes one kind of player. I wouldn’t have thought he would draft Raymond at 4 but he did.
I don't think it is so much offensive guys that he avoids, but guys who might be soft

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Who is our most likely pick? I’m starting to get back into hockey again and have no idea about anyone beside bedard

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mania has some impressive highlights for a guy not projected to go in the first 2 rounds. He is one of those interesting RD options from the OHL for me along with Akey, Brzustewicz, Allen, and Bonk (in round 2 or 3).
Who's gonna be our Rantanen at 10 in this deep draft
Not sure if you just mean a steal or actually a player like Rantanen, I don't really think there is a player like Ratnanen in this draft. Definitely not one that would be available at 10.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
If we're picking at 7th/8th I would love Oliver Moore if he's still there.

I wouldn't be mad about Oliver Moore. I like this guy but I wonder if he's got the potential to be a Dylan Larkin or if he's more of an Alex Newhook.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Who is our most likely pick? I’m starting to get back into hockey again and have no idea about anyone beside bedard
Start your armchair scout career and find your favourite here Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center

You are free to join Oliver Moore-bandwagon, but the chances are increasing that Moore might be gone before it's Wings turn to pick. Im preparing for a disappointment already.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Start your armchair scout career and find your favourite here Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center

You are free to join Oliver Moore-bandwagon, but the chances are increasing that Moore might be gone before it's Wings turn to pick. Im preparing for a disappointment already.

I don't know, man. The Wings are in a freefall and look incredibly disappointing after a season where they fought hard in most games to stay above 0.500. There's a possibility that the Wings fall as far as 6th place, which will make the lottery lovers happy, but in my opinion means next to nothing at this draft if we don't get a lotto win.

Detroit picking 10th to 15th gets them a prospect of equal or almost equal value as whoever they pick at 6th to 9th this year. Lose out on Will Smith or Oliver Moore? Well there's a Brayden Yager, Calum Ritchie and Riley Heidt just sitting there that are pretty damn close. Lose out on Zach Benson? Cristall, Brindley and Perreault are all there. Leonard is gone? Then go for Barlow or Jayden Perron.

5 to 15 in this year's draft are millemeters apart. 16 to 25 aren't far off either. It's a very strong year for forwards.

Reactions: wings95

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I don't know, man. The Wings are in a freefall and look incredibly disappointing after a season where they fought hard in most games to stay above 0.500. There's a possibility that the Wings fall as far as 6th place, which will make the lottery lovers happy, but in my opinion means next to nothing at this draft if we don't get a lotto win.

Detroit picking 10th to 15th gets them a prospect of equal or almost equal value as whoever they pick at 6th to 9th this year. Lose out on Will Smith or Oliver Moore? Well there's a Brayden Yager, Calum Ritchie and Riley Heidt just sitting there that are pretty damn close. Lose out on Zach Benson? Cristall, Brindley and Perreault are all there. Leonard is gone? Then go for Barlow or Jayden Perron.

5 to 15 in this year's draft are millemeters apart. 16 to 25 aren't far off either. It's a very strong year for forwards.
I believe Moore will be better than those names you mentioned, i think Moore is the best of the rest or at least he's making a strong case to be it. My own rakings ain't finished yet but the top-10 is shaping up nicely and even if Red Wings could get the 6th overall pick it might not be enough to get Moore.

My top-10, not in final rankings but i don't expect many changes to happen.
1. Bedard
2-4. Carlsson, Fantilli, Michkov(in no particular order)
5-6. Smith, Moore(in no particular order)
7-10. Reinbacher, Benson, Yager, Sale(in no particular order)

But i am extremely happy that Red Wings have the second 1st in good position, i don't believe that Isles can make past the 1st round. One or more of those names you mentioned could fall to us, like you said it's very even. Moore + "Yager/Ritchie/Heidt/Benson/Cristall/Brindley/Perreault/Leonard/Barlow" would be franchise altering haul and Red Wings will still have three 2nd round picks. "Yager/Ritchie/Heidt/Benson/Cristall" + "Brindley/Perreault/Leonard/Barlow/Perron" is not a bad haul either but not as great if the first player selected is not Moore for now at least. Lot's of reason's to be excited, depth wins championships.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Been thinking a lot about the Smith vs. Moore debate. I watched Logan Cooley in the NCAA tourney and he reminded me a lot of Smith. I really like how Cooley has made his game more efficient and effective at the NCAA level. Got me thinking, why can't Smith do the same? Sure he plays hero puck sometimes but I'm starting to think I'd rather reel that in a little bit and have that elite skill in my lineup.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, people act like Yzerman only wants character grinders, when TB is basically filled at the top with the opposite.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is how it stands as of right now:

RkPlayerStylistic Comp
1Connor Bedard (C)Nikita Kucherov
2Leo Carlsson (C/W)Anze Kopitar
3Matvei Michkov (RW)Kirll Kaprizov
4Andrew Cristall (LW)Claude Giroux
5Zach Benson (F)Brayden Point
6Adam Fantilli (C)Taylor Hall
7Gracyn Sawchyn (C)Dawson Mercer
8David Reinbacher (D)Brett Pesce
9Will Smith (C)Mika Zibanejad
10Oliver Moore (C)Matt Duchene
11Gavin Brindley (F)Jesper Bratt
12Matthew Wood (F)Patrik Laine
13Dalibor Dvorský (C)Sebastian Aho
14Eduard Sale (RW)Jakub Voracek
15Quentin Musty (F)Timo Meier
16Mikhail Gulyayev (D)Dmitry Orlov
17Ryan Leonard (C)Max Pacioretty
18Jayden Perron (F)Jordan Eberle
19Calum Ritchie (C)Roope Hintz
20Gabe Perreault (F)Mikael Granlund
21Brayden Yager (C)Brandon Saad
22Axel Sandin Pellikka (D)Quinn Hughes
23Riley Heidt (F)Jack Roslovic
24Nate Danielson (C)Jesperi Kotkaniemi
25Samuel Honzek (C)Victor Rask
26Colby Barlow (LW)James Neal
27Beau Akey (D)Thomas Chabot
28Charlie Stramel (F)Jordan Staal
29Dmitri Simashev (D)Rasmus Andersson
30William Whitelaw (F)Casey Mittlestadt
31Oliver Bonk (D)Brady Skjei
32Lukas Dragicevic (D)Tony DeAngelo

Snapped this from the prospect-boards.

Stylistic comparisons.

When looking those rankings, think Will Smith could be our guy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Been thinking a lot about the Smith vs. Moore debate. I watched Logan Cooley in the NCAA tourney and he reminded me a lot of Smith. I really like how Cooley has made his game more efficient and effective at the NCAA level. Got me thinking, why can't Smith do the same? Sure he plays hero puck sometimes but I'm starting to think I'd rather reel that in a little bit and have that elite skill in my lineup.

Smith can’t skate half as well as Cooley. I also think Cooley was a much better all around player at the same age.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Smith can’t skate half as well as Cooley. I also think Cooley was a much better all around player at the same age.
Half as well… come on dude.

Stop the hyperbole. It’s not constructive. He’s also bigger than Cooley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad