Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Good thing they're not going to to tie up 7-9 million for Toews in his 30s right!?!

.... right?
Honestly they're going to have to choose between Makar and Mikko eventually, imo, and in that case it's not really a choice--you keep Cale.

Toews can be managed in and dealt with later if need be, and I think they do need to keep him around.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly they're going to have to choose between Makar and Mikko eventually, imo, and in that case it's not really a choice--you keep Cale.

Toews can be managed in and dealt with later if need be, and I think they do need to keep him around.

Yeah that might end up being thr case... The issue is Mikko is up first and so far our management hasn't really shown to be cut throat with that kind of a decision.

I'd bet they re-sign Mikko and then wouldn't be surprised if they simply run out of money to keep Cale.

The big question will be Landy. If he never ends up coming back, they can probably afford Cale and Mikko. But knowing Landy I just don't think he's done at all.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I think they keep both Mikko and Cale if they wise up and cut Toews loose. Problem is they should have done that 5 months ago if they wanted to be smart about it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think they keep both Mikko and Cale if they wise up and cut Toews loose. Problem is they should have done that 5 months ago if they wanted to be smart about it.

Part of me wanted them to flip him, but with Ryjo as cheap as he is, and the high risk high reward strategy we at least have a legit shot at a cup again if Ryjo pans out to be just a good 2C, nothing crazy. If Drouin actually works, and the wheels don't fall off anything else too important we have a legit shot to fill in at spots that need improvement at the TDL that we can afford.

So it's ride or die time, I'm ok with this strategy in the end.

We're complaining about a 6RD, and that a young power forward that was exciting in camp got waived. I'll take it lol.

Reactions: RECKLESS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Part of me wanted them to flip him, but with Ryjo as cheap as he is, and the high risk high reward strategy we at least have a legit shot at a cup again if Ryjo pans out to be just a good 2C, nothing crazy. If Drouin actually works, and the wheels don't fall off anything else too important we have a legit shot to fill in at spots that need improvement at the TDL that we can afford.

So it's ride or die time, I'm ok with this strategy in the end.

We're complaining about a 6RD, and that a young power forward that was exciting in camp got waived. I'll take it lol.

Personally, I'd rather them accept the fact that RyJo isn't a 2C you can win the cup with, rather then Toews walking for free because they used him as a in-house rental.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Personally, I'd rather them accept the fact that RyJo isn't a 2C you can win the cup with, rather then Toews walking for free because they used him as a in-house rental.

I guess if you're that sure about your opinion of Ryjo you'd see it that way.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I guess if you're that sure about your opinion of Ryjo you'd see it that way.

In about 4 months, we'll all be.

RyJo is going to put up a shit load of points on Colorado's top PP unit. But 5v5 he's going to be a disaster, and guess what is super important in the post season.

Reactions: Azrael89

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
In about 4 months, we'll all be.

RyJo is going to put up a shit load of points on Colorado's top PP unit. But 5v5 he's going to be a disaster, and guess what is super important in the post season.

I mean Bednar is starting him with our two best two way wingers. Not that I agree with it, one is enough.

AvsInRhodey

Oct 26, 2020
I think we sign Toews, Mikko, and Cale to long term contracts and just live with the consequences of a more top heavy lineup. Manson and Girard are the most likely cap causulties to go if the goal is to win another cup with this core.

Once we sign Cale for some ungodly amount of money (thinking $14M), our options for maintaining a competitive team become extremely limited. Either we sign Cale and let Lehky and Colton walk that same offseason, or we let Cale walk and maintain better depth. Neither option looks great, but I think that's the best we can do.

The other option is to trade one or 2 of our impact players before their walk point for a package of less impactful/cheaper players and futures. This is technically still an option for Toews, but I agree that ship has probably sailed and his trade value is diminishing by the day. The bigger problem with trading an impact player for futures is that our team is built to win now. I just can't see the value of reducing our immediate cup chances for the sake of advancing an on-the-fly re-tool with an eye to be more competitive in the long term. It just doesnt make a ton of sense when we've only got a handful of years left before Mack comes back down to earth, and Landy and Nuke start looking more like cap anchors instead of underpaid first-liners.

I would get the logic of trading Toews or Mikko if the rest of the team was still trending up and by trading them we would somehow extend the cup window. But the cup window is pretty well established by now. We've got 4 more runs max before we become a bubble team akin to the current day Penguins. We put ourselves in this position 2 years ago when we signed Cale to 6 years (2 years too few) for the sake of short-term cap savings, and signed Landy to 8 years (2 years too many) for the same reason. We dug in further 1 year ago with 8 year deals for both Nuke and Mack, when we know the ends of those deals won't look as great. We avoided long term contracts on aging players for a long time while we were rebuilding, but we've turned the corner and now have to embrace it. This is the price you have to pay to keep elite talent in their prime at the lowest price possible. We've made our bed and now we have to sleep in it. Might as well push the rest of the chips in, try to win a cup or two over the next 4 years, and live with the consequences later.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Mack, Makar, and Mikko will all get whatever it takes to keep them. It's pretty obvious that's the plan.

Very slim chance they move Mikko if he asks for more than Mack, and it makes sense to get a center, but I think Makar they'd let go over.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
*Checks Prosvetov’s numbers*

*Then checks Prosvetov’s size*

1696874745498.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad