Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of not giving out any term pretty much. The kids will not e ready, including Mack. Smith's struggles against men is not unexpected. very very few 18 or 19 year olds jump into the league and play a legit solid top 6 O or top 4 D. It can happen, but only for Bedard-likes and even he stunk defensively as a turnover machine.

The sharks will be better next year, but not likely to compete legitimately. I posted otherwise several weeks ago, but I changed my mind.

I think the best bet is an army of overpaid 1 yr deals for 27-29 year old players. The nice thing about these kind of deals is that they are basically automatic draft picks, potentially high ones, if the sharks fall out of the PO race, as quality rentals usually go for 1st and 2nd rounders, sometimes more. However, if the sharks do surprisingly well and make a real run for the POs, they can be extended for real $$$ and term with exclusive negotiating rights. And, what good 29 year old wouldnt want to resign with a team armed with a great prospect pool that just made a real run for the postseason, and who is fully familiar with everything?

Overpayment is OK for 1 yr deals.

I think targeting 27-29 year old UFAs for one year overpays is not so likely to be successful. That arrangements shifts all the risk on to the player. What happens if they get injured, have a down year, or simply do not mesh with the coach’s system?

Usually players accept one year deals when they have no other options with term because there are some concerns with their game, they don’t have a track record of success at the NHL level, or are coming off injury. Players sign one year deals when they have no other multi-year offers. These are not players that are likely to be difference makers or desirable enough to garner interest at the trade deadline, let alone offers involving 1st and 2nd round picks.

As an illustrative example, Barabanov and Lebanc are two players within your age range that are candidates for single-year “prove it” contracts. I didn’t see any reporting at the recent deadline of teams lining up to offer high draft picks for their services. Do we really foresee teams offering to overpay either so they can attempt to rebuild their value and flip them at the deadline? If they end up signing one year contracts, it will likely be because that is all that is offered to them.

I think most prime age UFAs are looking for, and will find teams that will oblige them with, 5/6/7 year contracts on a winning team. They get to execute agency on where they go and maybe don’t get top dollar (frankly, they still probably do) but they get some amount of certainty of where they will be for the next half decade of their career and a handsome paycheck. Why would they forgo that for roughly 30% of the money guaranteed with the explicit understanding that they’ll very likely be trade to a destination not of their choosing not even a year later?

Your strategy assumes a team can reap all the value out of the relationship and assume none of the risk, and that there is an “army” of players willing to forgo their own agency and assume all that risk for some greater amount of short term money. Seems like a recipe for a lot of unanswered voicemails on July 1st.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I've said it before, but I think the one absolute must-get is a solid, established, minute-munching #2/3 defenseman. After that, a #1C, even a low-end one, who can properly shelter Celebrini for a year or two would be very nice to have.

Were I Grier, up until July 1st I try and get those assets from cap-distressed teams, hopefully getting them to pay the Sharks to take on assets. After FA begins, all efforts would go to getting those two pieces...and I'd get that defenseman even if I have to cave on term (say Nicolas Roy wants 42 over 7).

If I had to guess, Grier will get a middle-pairing defenseman and a middle-6 winger, both overpaid but on shortish-deals, through trade. He'll then sign a middle-pairing defenseman and a "project" winger (like Arvidsson).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It’s more about him being young and not an NHL player. At least that’s what I’m garnering in the world’s posts.
How the posts were saying he is not getting ice time (expected) but when he is playing he is making smart plays and playing good at both ends of the ice.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of trading anything exciting for Necas. He isn't that good, he's going to be pricier, and we are far too far away. I don't want to be paying $8 million for a 60 point winger on the downslope when we're ready to compete in three years.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I don’t want to think of Marchessault.
433599.jpg

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Hmm. I honestly can comment for or against the leadership or mentorship capabilities most of these guys do or don’t bring. But, I don’t know that is the heuristic I’d use to evaluate if a middle six UFA is worth pursuing. All the guys I mentioned are guys I’d rather see Celebrini and Smith spend a season or two making passes to instead of Kostin*, Kunin, Sturm**, or Givani f***ing Smith.

* so far Kostin has been decent and I wouldn’t mind if he spent time on a third line with something like Smith and Duclair

** I really like Sturm a lot, and this wasn’t meant to disparage him. I just want him in the 4C role and no where near the middle 6. Barring another catastrophic string of injuries, if the Sharks are forced to play him there out of necessity again, I’d consider that a failure on Grier’s part.
I keep forgetting Smith is on the team 😂 Sturm was one if these few signings I liked and he can definitely fill the leadership/mentor roll he’s a true pro. I like Kostin as well big guy plays a heavy game sharks lack that type of player in the prospect pool.

Should be an interesting off season

Reactions: Sandisfan

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of trading anything exciting for Necas. He isn't that good, he's going to be pricier, and we are far too far away. I don't want to be paying $8 million for a 60 point winger on the downslope when we're ready to compete in three years.

I read somewhere he's wanting to play center as well.

Would you guys do Anders Lee+18th overall+next years 2nd for taking on that contract? i think he has 2 more years left

Easy yes but I don't think the Isles make that offer.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Would you guys do Anders Lee+18th overall+next years 2nd for taking on that contract? i think he has 2 more years left
I’d do that for the 18th overall alone. And I’d also take back JGP in the deal, too. Clears $12m in cap space for the Islanders. Sharks get two solid vets on two year deals while adding another quality prospect to the pipeline. Win-win.

As PF said, the concern is with NMC. But does Celebrini and the next head coach help sway that? 🤷🏻

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
And he’d probably come with an asset for taking on his contract. 👍
Yep. I wouldn’t even be overly picky. I know some would want a first but I’ll take a second. Depending on who MG decides to keep on the big club, Barclay would probably be in our top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad