2023-24 Senators Prospect Watch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Yeah, it sounds like he's going to the OHL which would mean forfeiting his NCAA eligibility.

There have been rumours for a while that he's being traded to the Barrie Colts, but that it can't happen until the official start of the OHL season.

Reactions: Icelevel

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, it sounds like he's going to the OHL which would mean forfeiting his NCAA eligibility.

There have been rumours for a while that he's being traded to the Barrie Colts, but that it can't happen until the official start of the OHL season.

Was liking the NCAA route for him. He's not much of a hockey player at this point. Just a big dude who skates well and loves to crush opponents. A year in the USHL and at least 2-3 years at Michigan might have been the smart play.

If he is going to the OHL it better not be to Barrie. They have Aitcheson at LD and just acquired Bertucci. Not much room for him there.

Reactions: Bileur

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Vitali Abramov is he still a Sens prospect? He's now 26.

He is still on the Sens in the system for 24/25 list. First game of the KHK season today and Abramov has an assist on the first goal

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Was liking the NCAA route for him. He's not much of a hockey player at this point. Just a big dude who skates well and loves to crush opponents. A year in the USHL and at least 2-3 years at Michigan might have been the smart play.

If he is going to the OHL it better not be to Barrie. They have Aitcheson at LD and just acquired Bertucci. Not much room for him there.

Not feeling the fit either.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
What is wrong with him playing third pair? This is not a polished prospect and he hasn't played on NA ice. It's much better that he is eased in with bottom pair assignments as he gets acclimated. I much prefer that than being thrown to the wolves. No rush with this one.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What is wrong with him playing third pair? This is not a polished prospect and he hasn't played on NA ice. It's much better that he is eased in with bottom pair assignments as he gets acclimated. I much prefer that than being thrown to the wolves. No rush with this one.

A high 2nd round pick playing 3rd pairing OHL minutes in his 18YR old development season is embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
A high 2nd round pick playing 3rd pairing OHL minutes in his 18YR old development season is embarrassing.

You go and be embarrassed, have at it but it's exactly emotions like that that can lead to bad decisions for a prospect's path. It's like being embarrassed about Lafrenniere when he started on the 4th line with NYR.

He thought the CHL was his best path, after that it's completely out of his or the SENS control. He has ended up on a deep team in Barrie, so what? This changes absolutely nothing about the player. Zero.

By the way, this is pretty much his draft year by only a couple days isn't it? If he was a '25 pick you would be perfectly fine with it. You'd say it was gutsy and you'd be intrigued about the player and think nothing less.

Look at it that way.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lotta weird shit going on with our prospects
Heading to the CHL instead of USHL/NCAA for Eliasson is fine, though if he is playing on the 3rd pair with the profile he has, being a very high NHL draft pick, that is not a good development. I would hope he would be moving up quickly if that was the case

If your an NHL drafted player, you should be one of the main core guys on your team, regardless of age. He could still be that, I have no clue what his role will be, but Barrie has 2 guys who he has zero chance of playing over on the left side. We want him playing big, important minutes in the league like the CHL.

When you're not, it's not a good sign. Romero, Roger and Hamara are all guys who were moved down to 3rd pair and even traded away from competing teams as NHL drafted prospects, not a good situation.

Donovan was in his 17/18/19 year old season. Andonovski become one in his 18 year old season after being drafted, and looked very good doing it. Yakemchuk has been top pair in his 17 and 18 year old season. They all went well developmentally for the Sens.

Even guys like Thomson/Lajoie/Harpur/Guenette/etc. were core guys on their teams in their draft/18 year old seasons. It is a minimum expectation for drafted prospects, those who don't meet those expecatitons usually don't get qualified.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Heading to the CHL instead of USHL/NCAA for Eliasson is fine, though if he is playing on the 3rd pair with the profile he has, being a very high NHL draft pick, that is not a good development. I would hope he would be moving up quickly if that was the case

If your an NHL drafted player, you should be one of the main core guys on your team, regardless of age. He could still be that, I have no clue what his role will be, but Barrie has 2 guys who he has zero chance of playing over on the left side. We want him playing big, important minutes in the league like the CHL.

Wouldn't he have some agreement in place with Barrie that he'll have a significant role if he's passing up the NCAA route to go there? Otherwise, why wouldn't he force a trade to an OHL team that could give him a significant role?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wouldn't he have some agreement in place with Barrie that he'll have a significant role if he's passing up the NCAA route to go there? Otherwise, why wouldn't he force a trade to an OHL team that could give him a significant role?
Not too sure how he can get a significant role with a 2023 2nd round pick who has been fantastic in a top pair role for 2 years, and a 2025 top ~15 pick in Barrie in the left side already.

It’s not easy for him to find a spot with teams already ready to play with their import slots filled, or with other players in mind. I doubt there is more than a couple that would entertain adding an import now that isn't already in their organization, or a legit high level guy already.

Last edited:

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Gabriel Eliason has played the right side. There is a shift by shift video of the U18 Five nation tournament (2024) where he plays the right side the entire game. I have no idea how he will be deployed in Niagara, but he has significant versatility with that reach and skating.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gabriel Eliason has played the right side. There is a shift by shift video of the U18 Five nation tournament (2024) where he plays the right side the entire game. I have no idea how he will be deployed in Niagara, but he has significant versatility with that reach and skating.

Niagara are trading him to Barrie for a mid round pick

Reactions: Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Aitcheson is a potential top 15 pick this year and is only 12 days younger than Eliason.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Aitcheson is a potential top 15 pick this year and is only 12 days younger than Eliason.
And Bertucci is a 2nd round pick with 2 years of extremely strong play on the top pairing in Flint who Barrie traded away a very large amount to acquire. There isn’t an avenue for top 4 on the left side in Barrie, should that be where he plays.

If Barrie is making a run for it (which I’m not sure what point of the junior cycle they are currently in, but seem to be trying to win with Beaudoin) it’s a fine spot for Eliasson, even though it would be nice for him to be playing on the left side in a prominent role.

They have an extremely strong group of core players led by Beaudoin and Hemming. Having a few high end 1st rounders, another 3/4 2nd rounders and then a few more 3rd/4th round guys and then some guys who will be 1sts this year is an extremely strong competing group, Eliasson would be on a very strong team looking to make noise.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
If Eliasson is any kind of good in the O, he will play top 4 minutes before too long (even if he is clearly their 3LD).

Guys who are good enough to earn NHL deals will always find minutes. Donovan being an example last season of a guy who would play PP on most teams but was clearly the #3 option on his team… but there were still more than enough minutes and challenges to go around. Donovan, of course, was a proven star/top player and wasn’t limited at ES, so I get the concern… but ultimately guys find a way to the minutes they deserve at this level

I think most of the concern with Eliasson is that we dont know if he is actually good (and that would be less of an immediate issue with the US route)

Reactions: PlayersLtd

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
This fanbase has wanted to go boom or bust with our picks for the longest time and now we do with a very long term project who was the youngest in his draft class and we are getting antsy about the minutes he is going to play on a memorial cup caliber team...

There's a different path for every prospect. Eliason has a lot to learn and this is a significantly better situation than him being on a weak team and playing top minutes where he could be in over his head and lose focus on the development assignments laid out by the Sens.

It's a chance for him to acclimate to NA ice, focus, learn, prove himself and force his way into bigger minutes over time. It's a perfectly fine situation for this player and I bet SS endorsed it knowing that he's a baby steps type of project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad